Richard Pick bio / recordings / compositions?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Dirck Nagy

Richard Pick bio / recordings / compositions?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi all

Does anyone have any info on Chicago-based guitarist Richard Pick? (1915-2001)

All I know is the info printed on his 1951 Beginner Guitar Lessons method book and his School for Guitar (ed. Ophee).

He seems to have composed a bit, though. I believe he even had a television show at one time...?

Was he a good player? Does anyone know any of his compositions? Does he have any recordings?

My grandfather took some lessons with him back in the late 1940s, but alas, he has also been dead for decades, so I can't expect an answer from him!

Internet searching doesn't turn up any more than the usual junk. I am guessing there are folks here on the forum who knew him.

cheers!
dirck

David Norton

Re: Richard Pick bio / recordings / compositions?

Post by David Norton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Hello Dirck,

I'm away from home this week, so shooting from memory:

Richard was a competent but not wonderful guitarist. He released a double-disc LP of original works, another disc of song accompaniments with a tenor, and a fourth disc with CG arrangements. I don't recall titles off hand and won't be back home to check those until Sunday. He wrote many peices, I like them quite a bit but they are not Grand Masterworks by any guess.

I met him in 1999 when I had need to visit Chicago for work. A very interesting man, prone to quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson at the drop of a penny.

I can write more later....

DN
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 am

David Norton wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm
Thanks!

cheers
dirck

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:45 pm

bump.

Nobody else knows of Richard Pick at all?

cheers!
dirck

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:11 pm

I don't know anything about him but I have the print music of his transcription of the Sarabande double from BWV1002. Got it when I was about 13 yrs old and remember thinking he had a strange name for a classical guitarist. My 13 yr old brain figured it was a nickname because I imagined he played classical guitar with a pick. :mrgreen: Good thing he was active before online social media existed because he'd have serious nick-name problems nowadays, trashy thing that social media tends to be.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:21 pm

Lawler wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:11 pm
it took me a moment, but I finally got it!
:lol:

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:45 pm
https://web.archive.org/web/20160915120 ... solos.html

Scroll down to see his listings in this catalog.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090208160 ... talog.html
I had assumed that the Editions Orphee site would be down since Mr Ophee's death, but i hadnt thought about searching web archives. Oops!

This is VERY interesting...I wonder what the Selected Solo Works are? Are they the pieces featured in School for Guitar, as are the other two books (Interludes and Transcriptions)?
Lawler wrote:
... I have the print music of his transcription of the Sarabande double from BWV1002....
Who was the publisher? This would have been pre-Ophee for sure.

thanks, all!
dirck

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 pm
Lawler wrote:
... I have the print music of his transcription of the Sarabande double from BWV1002....
Who was the publisher? This would have been pre-Ophee for sure.

thanks, all!
dirck
I'll check.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 am

Richard Pick's publisher in the 1950s/1960s was called "Forster Music Publisher", in Chicago. They are long out of business. Matanya Ophee (a student of Pick's around 1960-62) bought out the entire remaining catalog and sold it piece by piece through Editions Orphee for some years. Matanya died in 2017, his website is offline and business is closed, so there's virtually no chance of obtaining anything from the Forster years except second-hand. To the best of my knowledge, Pick left no surviving family, his wife having passed some years previous to his own death.

The recordings I mentioned above are "Above and Beyond", a double-LP album which contains the full repertoire of the Forster book "First Repertoire for the Guitar", and also "Americana", a collection of folk songs featuring the baritone Win Stracke, with Richard Pick accompanying on guitar. Not fantastic first rate playing by any means, certainly not by today's standards, but quite competent and enjoyable regardless. I can't find the other two discs where they should be..... :?
Last edited by David Norton on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:52 am

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:28 pm

This is VERY interesting...I wonder what the Selected Solo Works are? Are they the pieces featured in School for Guitar, as are the other two books (Interludes and Transcriptions)?
Yes, these are the arrangements which were included in School for Guitar.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:13 am

David Norton wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 am
Richard Pick's publisher in the 1950s/1960s was called "Forster Music Publisher", in Chicago. They are long out of business. Matanya Ophee (a student of Pick's around 1960-62) bought out the entire remaining catalog and sold it piece by piece through Editions Orphee for some years. Matanya died in 2017, his website is offline and business is closed, so there's virtually no chance of obtaining anything from the Forster years except second-hand. To the best of my knowledge, Pick left no surviving family, his wife having passed some years previous to his own death.

The recordings I mentioned above are "Above and Beyond", a double-LP album which contains the full repertoire of the Forster book "First Repertoire for the Guitar", and also "Americana", a collection of folk songs featuring the baritone Win Stracke, with Richard Pick accompanying on guitar. Not fantastic first rate playing by any means, certainly not by today's standards, but quite competent and enjoyable regardless. I can't find the other two discs where they should be..... :?
Thank you, this is VERY helpful!

cheers
dirck

Return to “The Café”