Composers ...how you handle your own compositions

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Dirck Nagy

Composers ...how you handle your own compositions

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi Composers, "professional" and "amateur"!

What is your preferred method of disseminating your compositions?

Do you have a publisher? or a self-publishing setup? a "print on demand" if someone wants the score? Library or Scribd? YouTueb channel? Any accessible catalog of works? A file cabinet? etc?

Do you write for specific performers / occasions and gift them the score? Or do you write for yourself and perform when you feel like it?

How much care do you take once the piece is released? If someone unknown to you wants to perform your piece, what is your response?

Just curious.

I used to be very methodical, organized, and even jealous regarding my own stuff, but now am wondering "why...?"

cheers!
dirck

ben etow

Re: Composers ...how you handle your own compositions

Post by ben etow » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi Dirck,

I composed for myself, but mostly for my duo/trio/quartet at their time (most lasted like 5 years) because we were feeling short of original repertoire.

I send the score and/or recordings to my friends and acquaintances.
I am very pleased if someone I don't know wants to play my music and I simply send it. I don't intend to earn money with my compositions. The little I got up to now was enough to buy French fries like twice a year... :lol:, which means about 50 portions in 25 years. Don't worry, I didn't buy that much! :chaud:

There might be a publishing project in the future though, at least for one quartet as it won Mrs Antigoni Goni's Volterra Project composer award.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:51 pm

ben etow wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 pm
Thanks, Ben!

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 pm

Dirck,
Write because you LOVE to write . . . not because you want to earn income/royalties. If there are musicians you admire, send them a copy of your work with a personal note or go to CG performances and give a copy to the performer. You might be surprised who will play your work if it is good. I hope this helps . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 pm
Thanks, but not quite what i was asking. I know why I write; I was curious how others distribute their own compositions.

cheers!
dirck

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 pm
Thanks, but not quite what i was asking. I know why I write; I was curious how others distribute their own compositions.

cheers!
dirck

Hi, Dirck,
I thought I answered your question when I said ". If there are musicians you admire, send them a copy of your work with a personal note or go to CG performances and give a copy to the performer. You might be surprised who will play your work if it is good." Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:54 pm

I normally keep the scores to myself but play them live performance and YouTube videos. Otherwise people always comment, " why do you do only covers?" Haha, but zero market for my classical solos so I write for myself since I'm a musician and that's what I do.

I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:47 pm

Peter Frary wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:54 pm
I normally keep the scores to myself but play them live performance and YouTube videos. Otherwise people always comment, " why do you do only covers?" Haha, but zero market for my classical solos so I write for myself since I'm a musician and that's what I do.

Thanks for posting this, Peter. I listened to it twice!

I especially like the "interlude" section about 1:40-2:10.

cheers
dirck

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:13 pm

When you consider that Johannes Brahms carried the scores of his symphonies "under his arm" so to speak for many years, because he felt they were lacking in some way, well, I find the question nonsensical. On the other hand, I have been as guilty as anyone else, and have on occasion sent an MS copy to some famous player in the hopes that he might find something worthwhile in it. Generally, I received no reply.

If you have deep pockets, take out a multi-page ad in the NYT and present your music there. Lacking that, don't worry about dissemination. Even if you turn out to be talented, it will not happen in your own lifetime. There is the old joke about the painter, whose paintings became quite valuable, after he died.

Return to “The Café”