Windows 10 - Is Windows Defender good enough now?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
soltirefa

Windows 10 - Is Windows Defender good enough now?

Post by soltirefa » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:51 pm

Back in the Windows 7 days Windows Defender was considered inferior, but from what I have read it has come a long way and it seems less urgent to get a 3rd party anti-virus software, and it's far more important to be a smart web-browsing person and don't open random links in emails. What's your understanding of this?

randalljazz

Re: Windows 10 - Is Windows Defender good enough now?

Post by randalljazz » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 am

i try to read the yearly reviews to see what the 'experts' think has the best protection/features for the money, and make sure mine is in the ballpark, at least. ymmv, of course.
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

fiver78

Post by fiver78 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 pm

The best protection from viruses is keeping away from dodgy websites.

I have not needed an AV for the last 20 years.

franks59

Post by franks59 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:46 pm

fiver78 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 pm

You don't need to visit a dodgy website to be infected anymore. With the advent of Content Delivery Networks and Ad Servers, malware can be injected into otherwise perfectly legitimate web pages.

Frank

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Third party virus software slows my machine down to a trickle. I do without and try to be careful. Besides, I’m convinced these companies are run by people who create and distribute viruses so they can clean them up. I can see no other incentive for people to launch viruses on the world with no ROI. Or its Apple.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:18 pm

I'd run two hard drives and do a dual boot.

Linux for browsing and basic stuff.

Windows for documents, spreadsheets etc if you need compatibility to be absolute plug and play.

If you aren't really heavy into doing much, other than browsing and basic documents etc...then any Linux distro will work.

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:36 pm

I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials for my windows 7 machine. It was the only free virus and spyware protection that I could eventually download using dial up. Can't comment on how good it is. I mean how can you tell short of being exposed to a virus or spyware?

The definition updates take longer than the AVG 2015 that I used before. On the other hand there seems to be less conflict between the antivirus and the operating system. Sometimes the AVG would flag an update as a virus.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:00 am

I use Windows Defender and monthly scan with some others free antivirus, but only since win10. In the last reviews, it is not very far behind the best ones.
A very important point is to keep admin password very long and hard, change it every 6 months, and to use a regular non-admin user for daily use.
I also like this free software that helps enhancing windows firewall config in a user-friendly way:
https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php
It also shows notifications and keeps network history, so I eventually look for unnusual stuff (you can also do it in plain windows, but it is less intuitive).

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:04 am

franks59 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:46 pm
You don't need to visit a dodgy website to be infected anymore. With the advent of Content Delivery Networks and Ad Servers, malware can be injected into otherwise perfectly legitimate web pages.
Which is why it's very important to install one or more filtering browser extensions: AdBlock (with a reasonable selection of filter definitions), Disconnect and FBP (Facebook Purity). Lots of filter definitions can slow down browsing a bit but if you keep them to the essential you'll get the a speed-up instead. Personally I also like to run the Privoxy filtering proxy which is much more aggressive (and faster) than in-browser filters can be - but it cannot do much with https URLs and content.

For MSWin there is also AdAware and its siblings which will help keep secondary payloads (from otherwise legitimate installers) off your machine.

Make certain your modem/router makes your computer invisible from the outside (check via ShieldsUp at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:15 am

franks59 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:46 pm
fiver78 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Frank
I have teenage sons that use my Windows 10 pc and I always tell them to only go on trusted sites but the other day I opened Malwarebytes premium which I payed for as an extra precaution and was shocked that Malwarebytes had blocked numerous trojans, fraud sites, spyware etc... I checked on the browsers history and could not see any dodgy looking websites that my son's had visited (assuming they did not delete some history). Looking at the list of site names Malwarebytes had blocked it looks likely these were all links and adverts from " trusted" sites that may have been clicked on accidentally? I also run AVG free antivirus but I don't think AVG free on its own is good enough for my PC as Malwarebytes had picked up and quarantined things that AVG did not detect.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:35 am

For them you could set up a dedicated account on which you activate parental controls.

(In a sense I have come to see Win10 as one of the worst old-style viruses that just aimed at bringing your computer down. Boy does it indeed bring even machines that shouldn't be slow to their knees!)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:18 am

RJVB wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:35 am
For them you could set up a dedicated account on which you activate parental controls.

(In a sense I have come to see Win10 as one of the worst old-style viruses that just aimed at bringing your computer down. Boy does it indeed bring even machines that shouldn't be slow to their knees!)
The thing is I don't suspect my son's of visiting any dubious sites anyway.
When this Windows 10 PC dies I would seriously consider getting a chromebook.

franks59

Post by franks59 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Dave B wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:18 am
The thing is I don't suspect my son's of visiting any dubious sites anyway.
When this Windows 10 PC dies I would seriously consider getting a chromebook.
When you visit (almost) any website, the server will prepare your page using it's own content plus a lot,and I mean a LOT, of content dynamically provided by third parties. This can include images, ads, JavaScript, etc. These third parties can include content from other third parties.

The problem is who checks all that content for malware, either places deliberately by unscrupulous providers or by one of these content delivery systems being compromised?

Forbes' website was indirectly hacked in such a manner a few years ago.
From NBC News:
On December 1, 2014, Forbes discovered that on November 28, 2014, a file had been modified on a system related to [note: 'related to', not 'on'] the Forbes web site.
The hackers took advantage of an unpatched vulnerability in Adobe Flash, which is used by Forbes to present its "Thought of the Day," a quote and advertisement shown to visitors before they view the site.
I too use Malwarebytes Premium and Avast free. Malwarebytes is geared more towards realtime protection and zero-day exploits. Avast is a more traditional anti-virus that's beginning to become more like Malwarebytes.

In addition to the real-time protection, I schedule them to scan every night.

Frank

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:39 am

Anything Windows related should be considered suspect, They are not very good at what they do, and never have been. I have been a professional software developer for almost 40 years (retired now), and the standing joke amongst those of us in the know was that it was Windoze, as in zzzzzzz.

Any OS can be susceptible via the internet, but the best of the lot is surely Linux, in one of its many flavors. The problem, of course, is that companies develop for the greatest common numerator, which means Windows or iOS.

Malware, viruses, snooping, and unwanted ads have become a huge problem. One would hope that government would address the issue, but government has seldom addressed any issue successfully, and given the global nature of the internet, it would be a futile endeavor in any case. I guess the best we can do is keep our passwords strong and practice safe browsing. Keep a good supply of prophylactics on hand. :wink:

franks59

Post by franks59 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm

marvluse wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:39 am
I guess the best we can do is keep our passwords strong and practice safe browsing.
The best you can do is keep your software fully patched (up to date).

Frank

Return to “The Café”