Windows 10 - Is Windows Defender good enough now?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
RJVB

Re: Windows 10 - Is Windows Defender good enough now?

Post by RJVB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:40 pm

So?

Try buying a consumer-grade computer that's not a Mac and that doesn't come with MS Windows installed.
Now somehow reverse that advantage and then see what happens to market share.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 pm

RJVB wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:40 pm
So?

Try buying a consumer-grade computer that's not a Mac and that doesn't come with MS Windows installed.
Now somehow reverse that advantage and then see what happens to market share.
So? Cedar or spruce? :roll: Make a typewriter a refrigerator and see what happens. It's pointless. And if Android wasn't already preinstalled on the vast majority of smart phones...Linux is freely available to whoever wants to use it but it's still in the niche single-digit category on those systems. The thing is, for the average user there isn't a whole lot of difference between operating systems. If Windows is so self-evidently horrible, people will ditch it. And more power to them. Meanwhile Linux fanatics have been campaigning against Windows 95 for a long time now.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 am

ddray wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 pm
The thing is, for the average user there isn't a whole lot of difference between operating systems.
While probably not wrong, I don't think that's the complete picture either, not for the average users I know and have known. To them, Linux is something for nerds that doesn't work most of the time or where you spend more time working on the computer than with the computer. Macs are expensive and incompatible. Many actually claim they "like their Windows". Of course, very few have actually tried a different OS, and they have little reason. MS and friends continue to do what they can to prevent consumer-grade computers (laptops) with Linux preinstalled from popping upin the places where people come shop for them. Apple do what they can to prevent their OS from being used (and usable) on "alien" (and cheap) hardware.

I'm not arguing that change in the marketshare picture could be quick, nor that MSWin would all of a sudden become ethnic minority.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:18 am

RJVB wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 am
...MS and friends continue to do what they can to prevent consumer-grade computers (laptops) with Linux preinstalled from popping upin the places where people come shop for them. Apple do what they can to prevent their OS from being used (and usable) on "alien" (and cheap) hardware....
It's not all due to MS nefariousness though. It's also due to being market savvy. MS created a user-friendly platform that made using a computer easier without having to have some Druidy tech knowledge or deep pockets. Linux is too diffuse and at the time that I first heard of it was also too complicated, though much more secure. A lot of people just decided that the easier use outweighed the security risks. Microsoft was thinking widespread adoption while Mac and Linux users were content with their own little in-groups - while ironically sometimes grousing that this or that popular program was incompatible with their chosen system.
That said anyone is free to wipe Windows completely off most machines and go Linux. And Linux distros being excellent, as I said: more power to them.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 pm

Apple's error have been that they never had really cheaper lines ("PCs" of similar quality and features are comparable in price to Macs, if not more expensive because often squarely aimed at higher echalon corporate employees). Because in terms of making using a computer easier the various Mac OS incarnations are rarely outdone.
(I remember what convinced my mom to pay more for an iMac instead of a Win98 PC, something I'd tried to push her to for security and stability reasons): setting the time by turning the hands as on a traditional wall clock.)

Return to “The Café”