smart phone:dumb phone ... suggestions?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

smart phone:dumb phone ... suggestions?

Post by simonm » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Our phones are getting towards replacement time. Looking for suggestions. Please remember that I am in Europe.

Requirements: decent sound quality for phone calls. Shocking as it may seem we want to be able to make and receive phone calls and have decent sound quality.

Minimum 2 sim slots.

While it is probably unrealistic to ask for a battery that lasts a week or more between charges it would be nice. That's what our old phones did with ease when new. Swoppable batteries would also be nice. Is there anything with swoppable batteries any more?

Reasonable price. 1,500 ($/Euro/GBP) is not reasonable. You can get a secondhand car for that or a pretty good guitar. My last Nokia cost under 100. My current phone was about 50 but apart from having twin sims and decent battery life initially, it is pretty poor.

Euan Hannah
Amateur luthier

Re: smart phone:dumb phone ... suggestions?

Post by Euan Hannah » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:43 pm

It is a bit of a lucky dip at the lower end of the phone market. My track record with phones is not great, I've put a couple through the washing machine and lost one or two so I tend not to buy anything too expensive. My current one is a Cubot (Chinese import) with long battery life, a bit on the heavy side but it works quite well.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi Simon. Did you give up on the idea of a minimal smartphone that we discussed here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=123773 ?
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:08 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:23 pm
Our phones are getting towards replacement time. Looking for suggestions. Please remember that I am in Europe.

Requirements: decent sound quality for phone calls. Shocking as it may seem we want to be able to make and receive phone calls and have decent sound quality.

Minimum 2 sim slots.

While it is probably unrealistic to ask for a battery that lasts a week or more between charges it would be nice. That's what our old phones did with ease when new. Swoppable batteries would also be nice. Is there anything with swoppable batteries any more?

Reasonable price. 1,500 ($/Euro/GBP) is not reasonable. You can get a secondhand car for that or a pretty good guitar. My last Nokia cost under 100. My current phone was about 50 but apart from having twin sims and decent battery life initially, it is pretty poor.
Most smart phones are much of a muchness these days. There's no real differences that stand out. Some have a feature you like some don't. I would recommend the phone i bought last year. A samsung J5 . around €180 / 200 euros , Dual sim. if you want or need it. I don't but it's there.
They are fine and do exactly what you expect of them.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:04 am

I use a Moto E5 Play that I got a few months ago for about $90. Does everything I need, replaceable battery, good but not great battery life per charge, good sound; not so great camera but that isn't all that important to me. Like most Motorola phones it also has a relatively "clean" Android installation (8.0 in this case).

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:29 am

simonm wrote:Shocking as it may seem we want to be able to make and receive phone calls and have decent sound quality.
That's the only thing that I use my phone for ... what else would you do?
simonm wrote:Minimum 2 sim slots.
Minimum? I've never heard of the possibility of more than one - what advantage do multiple sims offer?

I'm not a luddite (at least I don't think so) but I haven't yet encountered a situation where I've thought:
"I wish my phone could ..."

I've only ever had one mobile telephone - it's an iPhone 4 - bought with the thought that it would be usefully compatible with my home computing ... which was a complete red herring. I have never needed to connect it to a computer for anything other than a software upgrade. At ten years old the original battery is charged perhaps once per week.

So Simon - when you decide what to buy - let me know. Not that my iPhone shows any sign of failing but I suppose that the time will come.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:52 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:29 am
Minimum? I've never heard of the possibility of more than one - what advantage do multiple sims offer?
Two sims are handy if you travel. One for your main provider and a second for the place you are traveling in. I use it to have an Spanish and a German number at the same time. A downside is that if the reception is poor, it seems to kill the battery quicker as it is constantly seeking two useable signals. I would guess that about 10-15% of phones for sale in the places I visit have two sims - its not something that you might even notice unless you are looking for it.

Phones with 4 sims are used primarily in Africa, as far as I know. The reason is the phone works as a payment system. You can pass phone credit to someone else (like parents topping up the credit on a child's pay-as-you-go phone). This mechanism is used by street vendors to accept payment for goods. They can later withdraw the cash from a cash machine or pay for something else. As there are many phone companies the street sellers want to accept payment from as many people as possible so one sim for each phone company. With two 4-sim phones you can accept payment from up to 8 phone companies. The European (and no doubt north American) banks have done everything in their power to try and prevent this kind of "informal" payment system and they don't want the phone companies edging into their "territory". As the 4 sim phones are really "payment systems" I doubt if any of the other features are of particular interest.

Minor p.s.
I have head some people describe simple mobile phones with no "smart" features (especially the small flip over models) as "pimp" phones or "drug dealer" phones. :-) Phones with no gps facility are a little harder to track as you have to depend on localizing it via triangulation with the cell-towers. Not really difficult but not as accurate or convenient as the other alternative. If it is "smart" and it has a gps, all you need to do it get one of the apps to keep blabbing its current gps location. Lots of people have these features enabled voluntarily so their Facebook/whatsapp/google friends can see where they are all the time. No hacking required. Many apps do it anyway without asking you. When you click on the license agreement when turn on the phone the first time, you give the manufacturer explicit permission to do so at least in the Samsung licenses I read, before I send the phone back. The conditions vary by country - you can see them by changing the settings during phone set-up.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:34 pm

Only buy a phone that can be rooted...that is to say hacked by you the user.

If you buy a non rootable phone then you have apps that are forced on you. If the phone is rooted you can delete and terminate apps as you see fit.

Without super user privileges you have zero control. More and more people are using technology without a care in the world as to how it can be used.

Battery life of a phone greatly depends on backround services being run by the CPU...

So honestly if it's battery life you want then having full control to disable all processes...

Most importantly back it up with a factory image...you can always go back to factory...but you can also make it better.

So long as you have no intention of rooting your phone or doing any super user tweaks...just buy anything it doesn't really matter.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:07 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:34 pm
Only buy a phone that can be rooted...that is to say hacked by you the user. ...
Any suggestions?

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:46 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:34 pm
More and more people are using technology without a care in the world as to how it can be used.
Twas ever thus...

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Do a search for "best phones for developers" and you will find all the high powered rootable smartphones...not sure if your going to get dual simm card action.

Most have integrated batteries these days which is sad...removable battery is nice feature. Do remember that when you have true access to the phone you can shave gigabytes of garbage files that had no business being there. Good luck.

davebones

Post by davebones » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:01 pm

You might want to check out the Fairphone which is a completely repairable and eco-friendly phone just developed in the last couple of years. When my iphone dies, I going to seriously consider a purchase. Imagine being able to replace your screen, your battery etc rather than having to trash your phone if it fails.
Amalio Burguet 1a
Takamine C132s
Yamaha G245s
Yamaha SLG200nw

rikart

Post by rikart » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:39 pm

I've nothing intelligent to add as all (repeat all) my smartphones have broken screens. I drop phones.
The trouble is that I have small hands, and I find that with the ever increasing size of these instruments I am unable to hold them securely.
I am from the old school of thumb texters, so before I've managed to send a text the single-handed juggling ends with me flipping the blessed thing airborne to spin wildly onto the inevitable concrete path I had wisely elected to perform the essential task.
I've given up.
Now I have a small phone.
I can send texts without needing the skills the like of which a circus performer would be proud. And, I can make phone calls.
There's not a great number of apps on it, as there is neither space nor processing power for them. It's my neat and tiny-brained cerebrally-challenged electronic communication device. I suits me admirably.
It's my very own and much beloved idiot phone!
rikart /warwick harte

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:43 pm

rikart wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:39 pm
... I am unable to hold them securely. ...
What I recently learned from the younger generation is that you can get a stick on ring which you put on the back of the phone in a position that suits and then simply put a finger the ring. You can then hold the phone securely in the most unlikely of positions without dropping it.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:00 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Minimum 2 sim slots.

I suppose there is no harm in dreaming, but reality is not refutable. Dream on. :roll:

Return to “The Café”