Hand held coffee grinder

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
montana

Hand held coffee grinder

Post by montana » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 am

Hi...I'm looking to buy a good quality coffee grinder that is not electric but grinds by hand. Mainly for espresso and french press . I'm looking at a ..Hario Skerton Pro. I also heard there are some good grinders made in Germany but information in Canada is limited . Can anyone recommend a good quality grinder ?

ragdoll serenade

Re: Hand held coffee grinder

Post by ragdoll serenade » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:10 am

I would suggest you peruse the Home-Barista website. www.home-barista.com I have never had a hand grinder but off the top of my head the demands of espresso and french press grinding are quite different. I think you may be hard pressed to find one grinder that does both those well.

Leo Apray

Post by Leo Apray » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:14 am

Made in Germany is Comandante.
You might also want to check Feldgrind and Kinu. Both are not made in Germany, but are also very good.

I have an Aergrind in the office. It's basically a Feldgrind in smaller size, so that it can fit into Aeropress.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 am

montana wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 am
Hi...I'm looking to buy a good quality coffee grinder that is not electric but grinds by hand. Mainly for espresso and french press . I'm looking at a ..Hario Skerton Pro. I also heard there are some good grinders made in Germany but information in Canada is limited . Can anyone recommend a good quality grinder ?
Spong and Co. They are still available from the home barista site already mentioned.
I bought a No. 1 second hand about 30 years ago. I fill it pretty full for 1 cup and it takes a little coaxing to get the beans to feed into the screw mechanism at times. Especially finer grinds. If I were to buy one new I'd get the No. 2. It makes a little mess, but they all do.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:05 am

If you want a portable one I use a Porlex (with my Hario press). They are made in Japan, slender, durable, and have a ceramic, conical burr for consistent grind. If you're looking to grind down to espresso you'll want a well-made conical burr or else you'll have too much variation in grind size with lesser quality. At french press size grinds the quality matters less.

If you want something a little less portable with a larger capacity the Harios are always just fine.

If you aren't weighing your beans always remember to memorize you rotation count for different size brews.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:41 pm

I bought a beautiful one with a painted ceramic receptacle and a "good grinder" for our boat. After a short time, I found it too labor intensive for even one cup of coffee. We use pre-ground or use an electric grinder when we have access to shore-power. . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

montana

Post by montana » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 am

Thanks everyone . Rognvald brought up a point that a co worker mention about the amount of effort to grind a cup using a cylinder grinder . He said the box style . .Zassenhaus..took less effort . Is this something I need to consider ?

montana

Post by montana » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 am

Hi chiral3 . .are you saying ceramic is better than steal for espresso ?

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:52 pm

No, not at all; they are both harder than the bean. I don't manufacture grinders here so I am guessing, but I would think that it is easier and less expensive to create a ceramic burr versus a metal burr that's the best / right shape at tight tolerances. Good grinders are expensive and apart from a quality motor (for electric grinders) your paying for quality parts engineered to tight tolerances.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:16 am

Looking for a truly hand-held solution ... as a way to get in a bit of compulsory morning exercise? ;)
ragdoll serenade wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:10 am
off the top of my head the demands of espresso and french press grinding are quite different.
French press is the kind of coffee maker made popular by Bodum; a glass pot in which you mix boiled/ing water and grinds, wait a few minutes and then press down the grinds with a piston that lets the coffee through?

If so, it is my understanding that this requires a bit coarser grind, while true espresso (from a 15+ bar machine) requires an extremely fine grind. We have an electric Bodum grinder which does have an espresso setting but I still find the result much coarser than what you find in off-the-shelf packaging by reputable (Italian) companies.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Mortar and pestle??? That what I have used. Takes some skill to get the grind where you want it - coarse for french press, and super fine for espresso. But cost for a very nice ceramic mortar and pestle was <$10US.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:22 pm

Zassenhaus.

Been using it for years.
finn helping dad make coffee!.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brad4d8

Post by brad4d8 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:34 pm

I use (and like) the JavaPresse hand grinder (with the Aeropress coffee maker-similar to a French Press but easier to clean). It's a burr grinder that can be adjusted to different grinds. If I fill it to the top, it has just enough for one cup the way I like it. Not good if you need to grind for more than that at one time.

Brian Sterling

Post by Brian Sterling » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:23 am

I use the Javapresse hand grinder as well, but I have heard that the Hario is quite good.

Return to “The Café”