Sea Kayaking...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Lawler

Re: Sea Kayaking...

Post by Lawler » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Great story, Celeste.

I had an angry sea lion surface next to my kayak and bark at me. :mrgreen:

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:37 pm

"Nope. "Nothing to worry about," the ranger told us. "They hang out at the bridge in deeper water. They eat tarpon and rays, mostly. Can't re really hurt people. Probably attracted to the bubbles your paddles kicked up." " celestemcc

Hi, C,
I have spent years cruising the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean and Mexico aboard my sailboat--snorkeling fishing, sailing. The smaller Hammerheads under 8 feet are generally not a problem. The big boys, however, are a different story and we get out of the water whenever one shows up. It is true that they eat mostly rays and Tarpon. Once, when we were in the Marquesas Islands offshore from Key West, Fl., we witnessed the butchery of Tarpon by huge Hammerheads and Bulls that turned the water red. The Tarpon were seeking shelter from our sailboat's keel but the efficiency of the sharks won the day. Here's a brief summary you might find interesting. Playing again . . . but not in shark-infested waters . . . Rognvald
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark ... mplicated/
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:58 pm

we witnessed the butchery of Tarpon by huge Hammerheads and Bulls that turned the water red.
Whoa!!

Fascinating document!

The Ranger at Bahia Honda was concerned that we'd been fishing and trailing chum, an altogether different issue... we weren't, but that's why I was calling my husband "Chum,".... hammerheads' mouth design makes them less-likely human predators BUT no way we'd have tried to hit the thing with our paddles!! Hammerheads also apparently would hang out at the Marathon end of the Old Seven Mile bridge, before it closed and fishermen could cast from the bridge. Not a place we'd put in...!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 pm

" Hammerheads also apparently would hang out at the Marathon end of the Old Seven Mile bridge," celestemcc

Hi, C,
The cut at the end of the 7 Mile Bridge that goes into Florida Bay is a Bull Shark shopping mall. I have seen 30-40 bull sharks on the turn of the tide at that location on many occasions over the years. Never swim around bridges/structures/junctures, between deep and shallow water(channels) before, during and after tide changes. If you're a fisherman, there is great fishing for Yellowtail Snapper off the reef in Hawk's Channel. Playing again . . . fishing and sailing . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “The Café”