Who gets to label these things???

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mollbarre

Who gets to label these things???

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:23 am

Okay...really? Can someone point out a definition of "easy guitar"?

:nerveux: :chitarrista: :aide:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

gitgeezer

Re: Who gets to label these things???

Post by gitgeezer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:26 am

I believe easy guitar means staying within the first position comfort zone. That F#m chord is a bit of a stretch, but can be easily faked.

AKim

Post by AKim » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:51 am

Just looking at those chord diagrams, it’s also simplified basic first position chords for beginners. For example, I would not play the F, Bbm, F#m as charted...I’d use barre chords. Perhaps it’s more chords than your average “cowboy chord” player would know, but close enough.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 am

Just basic chord shapes and no RH fingering makes it easy guitar. but this is a relative judgement. it certainly won't seem easy to a Grade 1 player. '

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:40 pm

...or an "older" beginner! :mrgreen:

I think you're all right...all first position, and easier fingering...

But still...changing chords that quickly is NOT easy.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Forget the chords, I can forgive simple chords. It's the words that offend me. What an oaf.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Lol...

Well...if this is easy, I need to keep plugging away at it.

I thought I was doing pretty good with all the basic chords I've memorized to date...

Guess not...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:24 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 pm
Lol...

Well...if this is easy, I need to keep plugging away at it.

I thought I was doing pretty good with all the basic chords I've memorized to date...

Guess not...
Playing rapid chord changes can be quite difficult, as you typically employ most of your left-hand fingers. Especially with, say, jazz, which uses lots of chromatic, altered, and extended chords (9ths, 11ths, 13ths, etc). And, of chord (a weak pun :)) there has to be a minimum of 3 notes, else it is not a chord, LOL.

Keep on plugging, it will come. :wink:

Barry Guy

Post by Barry Guy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 pm

My definition of easy play is a single note melody line. (Which this is). The publisher has opted out of simplifying the chords and has even put in chords which have not been illustrated. There are numerous better written books around. Browse your music shop, find the level you are happy with.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Thanks!

It's less about a level than finding "songs" I know well enough to sing, and chords that aren't complicated. There isn't a single source...I am cherry picking through multiple sources.

I just thought this was a funny example of "easy guitar".

Every instrument has it's own issues when it come to finding appropriate/desired music at various competency stages...so I now finding those with the guitar...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:18 am

:lol:
Look closely at what changes in the fingering with each chord, in the sequence given in the music . Sometimes it is only asking for you to slap finger four down when you had fingers two and three already placed nearby. So the changes aren’t as bad in many places as it first appears.
:-)
Also, as you probably already know, the neck of an acoustic steel string is narrower than a classical which makes quick chord changes easier than on the wider necked classical guitar. So “easy” may be assuming you are just a regular steel string strummer and without a lot of barre chords, this would be classified as easy.
Nevertheless, I feel your pain.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:41 pm

lagartija wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:18 am
:lol:
Look closely at what changes in the fingering with each chord, in the sequence given in the music . Sometimes it is only asking for you to slap finger four down when you had fingers two and three already placed nearby. So the changes aren’t as bad in many places as it first appears.
:-)
Also, as you probably already know, the neck of an acoustic steel string is narrower than a classical which makes quick chord changes easier than on the wider necked classical guitar. So “easy” may be assuming you are just a regular steel string strummer and without a lot of barre chords, this would be classified as easy.
Nevertheless, I feel your pain.
I dunno. Having grown up with the classical guitar, the few times that I have played steel string acoustic I found the strings too close together, making it in some ways more difficult. This is perhaps due to fat fingers, but I suppose also a lack of familiarity. :wink:

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:03 pm

FWIW...the Ibanez has a 46mm nut, and it's the one I've been using most at the moment - not because it sounds better, but because it's my designated "travel" guitar so I keep it in the family room, where it gets used more often - because that's where my dogs are...because the dogs are not allowed in the music room...where the"good"guitar resides... :guitare:

On the plus side, I can finally get the F chord! It's not totally clean yet, but I can play up to speed.

Next: Dm. Takes me forever to place my fingers... :roll:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:03 pm
FWIW...the Ibanez has a 46mm nut, and it's the one I've been using most at the moment - not because it sounds better, but because it's my designated "travel" guitar so I keep it in the family room, where it gets used more often - because that's where my dogs are...because the dogs are not allowed in the music room...where the"good"guitar resides... :guitare:

On the plus side, I can finally get the F chord! It's not totally clean yet, but I can play up to speed.

Next: Dm. Takes me forever to place my fingers... :roll:
I hear you. Once upon a time those damn chords were frustrating to me as well. The trick is to keep at it. Persevere. In time, you will be able to finger D-minor in your sleep. In all its many incarnations upon the fretboard available to the guitarist. :D

astro64

Post by astro64 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Use LH fingers 1, 2, and 4 for Dm, much easier than 1, 2, and 3. "4th finger approach", as it is called. There are some exceptions to this depending on the previous or next chord or passage.

Return to “The Café”