Music to die to. . . .

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Hotsoup

Re: Music to die to. . . .

Post by Hotsoup » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 am

ddray wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 pm
Hotsoup wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 pm
Who sings that "so ya had a bad day" song?
Not sure, but that one would make me say "just shoot me".
Right, me too. I'm in a dark place right now.

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 am

Hotsoup wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 am
ddray wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 pm
Hotsoup wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 pm
Who sings that "so ya had a bad day" song?
Not sure, but that one would make me say "just shoot me".
Right, me too. I'm in a dark place right now.
Well then I'm wishing you lots of light and happiness, seriously.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:49 am

ddray wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm
marvluse wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:46 pm
For me, it would be Beethovens's Sixth, first movement. ...
Shades of Edward G. Robinson in Soylent Green. ;)
Yep. It's a good choice. :D

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:59 am

CathyCate wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:48 pm
Apologies in advance, if the question is rhetorical.

I have limited experience as a hospice volunteer, providing music for patients in extremis along with their friends and families.
No special music is required for death vigil. By and large, most people I have encountered appreciate the same music they enjoyed while fully engaged in life. This includes songs of childhood, special occasion music such as wedding songs, the couples' "our song" etc. All the songs that best represent the special moments of a life in it's entirety provide suitable music for dying.
You are of course correct. When my wife was dying (they were planning to move her from assisted living to hospice, but she did not last that long), her daughter sang my wife's favorite tune to her, Jim Croce's I've Got a Name. Me, my bent was always in other directions. Years before, I had told my wife that if I croaked, have someone play Debussy's Nuages at my wake. Music is music, and it is all meaningful in some way, to someone or to some other. The way I figure it, music may be mankind's most sublime creation.

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:38 am

ddray wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:18 pm
Conall wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:10 pm
Another vote for Bach's Bm mass - or St Matthew Passion (Erbarme Dich if I have to choose one piece) -
Another great choice. From that same work mine would be "Mache dich, mein Herze, rein":

Or, of course, BWV 106:
Love both of those too.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:12 am

Dying being the last experience in this your life you will ever have I think it's maybe not a bad idea to be present in it and not distracted by music, however luring it might be ...

Afterwards, when you are already dead, you can listen to your favoured funeral music ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:43 am

CathyCate wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:48 pm
Apologies in advance, if the question is rhetorical.

I have limited experience as a hospice volunteer, providing music for patients in extremis along with their friends and families.
No special music is required for death vigil. By and large, most people I have encountered appreciate the same music they enjoyed while fully engaged in life. This includes songs of childhood, special occasion music such as wedding songs, the couples' "our song" etc. All the songs that best represent the special moments of a life in it's entirety provide suitable music for dying.
Yes, it's such a personal thing. While I'd like to think that I'll play the most beautiful, melancholy, intense works by Bach & others at the deathbed of my nearest & dearest in reality, aside from perhaps my mother who shares my love of Bach, all my relations & many close friends would want some pop song or other that reminds them of happier times and of course I would seek out that music for them if that's what they wanted (even if I disliked the song!). I hope my family will play my choices when it's my turn - though there are a couple of folky pop songs that my wife & I listened to together when courting which might be more relevant to both of us for nostalgic reasons.

Then again a musician I knew found out he had only a couple of months left to live. I asked his friend if he got some comfort from listening & playing his favourite music while waiting for the inevitable but she said he couldn't / wouldn't listen or play any music whatsoever because it upset him too much (to think he would shortly not experience music or anything anymore?). Very sad: I hope that won't be the case when my time comes.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:37 pm

Why listen to stuff we've heard before? I'd like to be hearing something new when I snuff it.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:18 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:12 am
Dying being the last experience in this your life you will ever have I think it's maybe not a bad idea to be present in it and not distracted by music, however luring it might be ...

Afterwards, when you are already dead, you can listen to your favoured funeral music ...
The last sentence was a failed attempt at a joke, but the first bit is meant seriously. There is a whole 'science of dying' within different Buddhist traditions and not being distracted seems to be the main point in it. Sometimes it is compared to falling asleep, though in a much starker way. For me even with falling asleep I have to turn all music off, otherwise my sleep is very strange... Never mind.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 am

It might not be a good idea to listen to music when you're dying. If you have a lot of regrets or feel you didn't live a full life or even wish you did things differently, the music could make you very sad or even depressed (of course, if you're dying, that could be a little depressing). Think "bucket list;" did you live your life to the fullest with an optimistic view or did you spend your life complaining and worrying about everything?

A friend of mine was a hospice nurse in his younger days and he told me a story of a patient he was helping. He was administering the patients pain meds late at night and as they were talking, the patient pointed towards the bed and said that is the most expensive equipment in the world. Allan didn't understand so he asked him what he was talking about. The patient said, all his life he would pay people to do anything he didn't want to do. He pointed to the bed and said with all his money (he was a multi-millionaire and owned several ocean liners) he couldn't pay anyone to lay in the bed and die for him.

He told Allan he was dying alone because all his life he pursued money. He did not establish relationships, had no children and no friends. He died alone and I doubt he had any interest in listening to beautiful music...just died alone and bitter.

Got to be a message there.

Twonote
Guitralchemist,
David :fume:

All the money in the world can't buy a second of time, but you can waste it for free.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Dieter Hopf '92
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 135

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:51 am

Wow, lots of suggestions here I should indeed be able to use as a motivator the day I decide I should off myself (haven't looked at page 2 but I fully expect there will be Gould moans) O:-)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:12 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 am
It might not be a good idea to listen to music when you're dying. If you have a lot of regrets or feel you didn't live a full life or even wish you did things differently, the music could make you very sad or even depressed (of course, if you're dying, that could be a little depressing). Think "bucket list;" did you live your life to the fullest with an optimistic view or did you spend your life complaining and worrying about everything?

A friend of mine was a hospice nurse in his younger days and he told me a story of a patient he was helping. He was administering the patients pain meds late at night and as they were talking, the patient pointed towards the bed and said that is the most expensive equipment in the world. Allan didn't understand so he asked him what he was talking about. The patient said, all his life he would pay people to do anything he didn't want to do. He pointed to the bed and said with all his money (he was a multi-millionaire and owned several ocean liners) he couldn't pay anyone to lay in the bed and die for him.

He told Allan he was dying alone because all his life he pursued money. He did not establish relationships, had no children and no friends. He died alone and I doubt he had any interest in listening to beautiful music...just died alone and bitter.

Got to be a message there.

Twonote
Guitralchemist,
David :fume:

All the money in the world can't buy a second of time, but you can waste it for free.
:bravo:

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Thank you for all the beautiful music posted! I'd be happy to pass over while listening to any of these wonderful pieces.

(PS My late friend had a particular request he had always said he wanted to hear as he departed, but he actually managed to raise a hand and switch off the pc I had positioned next to him, so he must have changed his mind at the very last moment.. . .strange!)

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:42 pm

kirolak wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:53 pm
Thank you for all the beautiful music posted! I'd be happy to pass over while listening to any of these wonderful pieces.

(PS My late friend had a particular request he had always said he wanted to hear as he departed, but he actually managed to raise a hand and switch off the pc I had positioned next to him, so he must have changed his mind at the very last moment.. . .strange!)
He must have had a good sense of how important the moment was and not to waist in on distraction. My full respect to your late friend...

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Changed my mind (apparently it's a woman's prerogative so I had to borrow my wife's).

Rossi's setting of "Mio ben, teco il tormento" as sung by Veronique Gens.
If I could time the last breath for just the moment that Eurydice, singing "Ogni dolcezza è sol dove tu sei" (all sweetness resides in your presence), settles on that long D ...

Return to “The Café”