Weird Articles in "Science Focus" Magazine

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
gitgeezer

Weird Articles in "Science Focus" Magazine

Post by gitgeezer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Does anyone else subscribe to "Science Focus" magazine, published by the BBC? I subscribed for the first time this year, to augment my other science magazines—Scientific American, Discover, and Astronomy. Science Focus is quite unlike my other science magazines. Though it has standard science articles of the type that appear in them, it also explores some really unusual subjects. Here are some of the articles in the current issue:

"DO BIRDS FART?"

"Cheese gives you nightmares"

"MY BOYFRIEND HAS THREE NIPPLES. IS HE A MUTANT?"

"ALGORITHM YOUR LIFE: HOW CAN I FIND LOVE?"

"I'M IN MY 30s AND I NEVER FOLLOW THE NUTRITION LABELS ON FOOD. AM I ABOUT TO DIE?"

"I HATE MY MASSIVE NOSE. WILL IT KEEP GROWING FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE?"

"Who's afraid of the big bad orca?"

"Wolves are better cooperators than dogs"

"Gaming = Good"

"Is there a scientific explanation for out-of-body experiences?"

"THE GOBLIN SHARK"

marvluse

Re: Weird Articles in "Science Focus" Magazine

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Sounds like the National Enquirer with a "science" bent. I'm pretty sure birds fart, for instance. Any mammalian or close life form does. Heck, I'll bet snails fart. So what else is new? "My mother sired a baby with a Martian?" How do mothers "sire" a child? ;)

This is something I do not grok.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:32 pm

I'd be more interested in whether or not birds can get diarrhea. Everybody know that if birds eat beans they will get flatulent just like the rest of us! :D

So I checked out that publication, and okay, it does not look as hard core as Scientific American or JAMA. And it may not even have peer reviewed articles. But there is value in science for the layperson.

Oh no! Now that I've heard about Goblin Sharks, I'm sure I'll have nightmares ... :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 am

marvluse wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm
Sounds like the National Enquirer with a "science" bent. I'm pretty sure birds fart, for instance. Any mammalian or close life form does. Heck, I'll bet snails fart. So what else is new? "My mother sired a baby with a Martian?" How do mothers "sire" a child? ;)

This is something I do not grok.
Scientists who study such things (okay, let's not get into why they would want to) agree that birds do not release the raspy eruptions for which humans are known, but they are divided as to whether they fart in any form. One side says they don't fart because their food does not remain in the gut long enough to ferment and produce gas. The other side says they fart, but the gas is released slowly and makes no sound, like we used to try to do in class but often failed.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 am

There are several popularising science & tech journals that aim to be a sort of Scientific American for the above-average, interested "layman" (I can think of 1 American, 1 Dutch and 1 French, remembering the exact titles is a bit harder :-/)

I haven't had time to look closely at this one but it sounds they're also aiming at making their readership get a chuckle, possible inspired by something I used to follow with great amusement:
https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Nothing wrong with making science "fun". The more people read the better off we all are.

I take away a lot from "easy" reading on subjects I'm not knowledgable on...like nuclear physics, quantum mechanics...stuff like that... :mrgreen:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:44 pm

As long as it's not the kind of fast take-out food with who-knows-what kind of sh*** in it. I never really know if I'm allowed to chuckle when someone spews some knowledgeable BS they obviously didn't make up themselves ;)

(In fact, I realise I may have been doing just that on here, the spewing I mean, not just the chuckling ...)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:19 pm
Nothing wrong with making science "fun". The more people read the better off we all are.

I take away a lot from "easy" reading on subjects I'm not knowledgable on...like nuclear physics, quantum mechanics...stuff like that... :mrgreen:
The first rule of "easy reading" science is: NO EQUATIONS!

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 pm

What, not even E=MC2 or V=RI? ;)

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 pm

RJVB wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 pm
I tried mentioning e=mc2 as an exception, but couldn't get the "2" to superscript. When I pasted it from Word in superscript, it popped back down to standard size. I see you couldn't get it superscripted either. :)

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:38 pm
Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:19 pm

The first rule of "easy reading" science is: NO EQUATIONS!
I'm okay with equations, as long as they end up = 0. :applauso:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:49 pm

gitgeezer wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 pm
I see you couldn't get it superscripted either. :)
I knew it wouldn't work so didn't even try 8)

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:07 am

gitgeezer wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 pm
RJVB wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:47 pm
I tried mentioning e=mc2 as an exception, but couldn't get the "2" to superscript. When I pasted it from Word in superscript, it popped back down to standard size. I see you couldn't get it superscripted either. :)
e=mc². Easypeasylemonsqueezy. On on Android phone, pressing and holding 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the Google keyboard will give a superscript option for those numbers. On Windows, Ctrl+Shift++ *should* still give superscript. Return to regular script by entering that shortcut again.

Just in case you were wondering.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:30 am

Actually, there are Unicode points for superscripted single digits (and probably other glyphs too). That's what I get for posting close to 2 in the morning, I completely forgot about the fact that getting a superscript 2 is just a matter of copy/pasting the right glyph (character).

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:39 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm okay with equations, as long as they end up = 0. :applauso:
So how about e-mc²=0 ? :lol:
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Return to “The Café”