Gentil Montana's Porro - Colombian composer

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
SteveL123

Gentil Montana's Porro - Colombian composer

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:59 am

I didn't know about Gentil Montana until a few months ago when I heard Yamandu Costa play one of his compositions: "Suite Colombiana no 2: IV - Porro"

Fabio Zanon recorded it in a recent album "Americas". Eduardo Fernandez also made a recording of it in the album "La Dansa Guitar Music from Latin America" although he plays some measures differently than Zanon's.

I have been trying to find a recording of Porro by Gentil Montana himself unsuccessfully. Gentil passed away in 2011 but his son has a website https://www.youtube.com/user/germangentil/videos with many videos he made of his father. I went through all those videos and unfortunately Porro was not one of them.

Does anyone know of a recording of Porro by Gentil Montana himself?

Does anyone here play this piece? I've been working on it for the last few weeks!

60moo

Re: Gentil Montana's Porro - Colombian composer

Post by 60moo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:07 pm

There's a YouTube recording of him playing the whole suite.

Search for "Gentil Montana - (Guitarra) Suite Colombiana #2". The Porro is the final movement.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:25 pm

60moo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:07 pm
There's a YouTube recording of him playing the whole suite.

Search for "Gentil Montana - (Guitarra) Suite Colombiana #2". The Porro is the final movement.
You mean this one with pic of a young Gentil Montana?

It says In Spanish:
"Interpretes : I,II,II Mov Manuel Rubio, IV Mov: Alejandro Lopez."

I think Interpretes means interpreter? So the last movement Porro is played by Alejandro Lopez! Lopez also plays some measures in Porro differently than Fabio Zanon. Lopez plays it more like Eduardo Fernandez

60moo

Post by 60moo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Unfortunately - yes, that's the one I was referring to. Thanks for correcting me.

Return to “The Café”