LED Street Lights

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
PeteJ

LED Street Lights

Post by PeteJ » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:45 am

Many of us are losing our night-time environment thanks to this new lighting, including the wildlife. Along with many other people I'm camaigning against them. Others who are complaining include Public Health England, the BMA, AMA, CPRE, the Dark Skies Association and the British Astronomical Society.

If you don't like them or worry about their long-term detrimental effects, many of which will not be known for years but some of which are blindingly obvious, please submit complaints whereever you are. Not everyone is immediately affected, but my neighbourhood, a semi-rural conservation area, has been turned into a lorry-park. Gone are my enjoyable night-time views and friendly surroundings and gradually the stars are disapearing. The whole country is suffering the same fate. It is a tragedy.

For anyone who wants to investigate the disbenefits and dangers of this lighting or who wants to add some beef to their complaints to their local authorities the BAS have an excellent information resource here, with various well-informed articles and essays on the problem. http://britastro.org/dark-skies/index.php
Last edited by PeteJ on Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Pohlman

Re: LED Street Lights

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Well, in America's rural areas, they simply get their guns and shoot out the unwanted lights an thus restore the privacy associated with unlit nights. :D

Now, I'm not advocating a ballistic solution. Your ideas of social and political influence are far better.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Well, perhaps I forgot to mention that I'm ordering an air-rifle. Or maybe a catapult.

Your country-folk have my respect. Such a sensible and easy solution.

I spoke to the campaigns manager for a national environmental charity and he mentioned he was thinking of taking marksmanship lessons.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:11 pm
Well, in America's rural areas, they simply get their guns and shoot out the unwanted lights an thus restore the privacy associated with unlit nights. :D

Now, I'm not advocating a ballistic solution. Your ideas of social and political influence are far better.
Unfortunately, out here in the rural US, we now have LED billboards. Much worse than streetlights, and the %@** things are everywhere.

Tough to take out with any rifle, the display screen is too big, but one could probably do some damage driving by with a shotgun. Be careful with this, though...the US isn't yet under the same level of video surveillance as Britain, for example, but security cameras are getting very cheap...

I wonder if anyone has tried hacking into them? If enough "objectionable content" gets displayed by vandals, then maybe advertisers will just quit...? One can only hope.

Just wait, holographic billboards are in the near future!

and a sad "cheers" to all of you,
dirck

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:43 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Ain't nothin' wrong with a ballistic solution, LOL. Simple, effective, and properly implemented the only harm is to the light. ;)

It is amazing what beauty is in the night sky that can no longer be seen because of light pollution and other forms of pollution that make the atmosphere less transparent. I lived in Colorado for 35 years, in the mountains, far from most city and suburban locations. It was no sweat getting above 10,000 feet in altitude, under dark skies, and it was truly beautiful. The Milky Way was obvious, a dim but luminous cloud running through the night sky. Now I live in Georgia, below 1,500 ft, too near Atlanta. The skies here really suck. I can barely make out 1st magnitude stars. I can't imagine how wonderful it must have been in, say, the American west in the 18th century. Or out on the sea in the same time frame.

Ah, well, it is probably of no concern to 95 percent or more of people. C'est la vie. :|

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:23 am

It's all so sad. I had hopes that people were becoming more aware of environmental issues, and then this happens. My council proudly proclaims its environmental credentials and then does this. I wonder what happened to democracy.

The problem is the decisions are taken at a local level, so have to be opposed at a local level. This makes it difficult to gather up enough protesters to make a difference and national bodies don't have a clear single target.

Government needs to get involved.

Return to “The Café”