Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Rognvald
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 am

Here's Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma in China. The Roman poet Juvenal called it bread and circuses. Just read the comments of the peanut gallery below.



Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

ddray
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:13 am

Bleagh. And I'm certainly tired of the word "epic". The thing is though, in a situation like this they could've gone up there and broken wind alternately for 6 minutes and there'd be those who adored it. It's "celebrity".

marvluse

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by marvluse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:31 am

I gave up on Yo-Yo long ago. He seemed to turn rogue and weird in one fell swoop. He is surely a marvelous cellist, but some of his stunts and collaborations have left me thinking, "say what???" And, Meryl Streep??? She should stick to what she can do reasonably well, which is act. Other than that, she should keep her mouth firmly closed. :roll:

User avatar
Mollbarre
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 am
Location: Canada

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 am

I don't see what the issue is.

A poem and a bit of musical accompaniment.

They both did a good job.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

ddray
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 am

marvluse wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:31 am
I gave up on Yo-Yo long ago. He seemed to turn rogue and weird in one fell swoop. He is surely a marvelous cellist, but some of his stunts and collaborations have left me thinking, "say what???" ...
I'd have to agree. TBH I prefer Isserlis and Maisky anyway. Although Yo-Yo's hair looks a little more sane. :lol:

User avatar
Christopher Freitag
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:46 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:09 am

It makes me sad to come here and see people trashing art and artists of any kind. Have we become so small?
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Philosopherguy
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Philosopherguy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:17 am

Many great musicians go out and make their mark in the musical world. After they have peaked and gained enough resources, they decide to do whatever they want for the pure fun of it and end the endless monotony of the “classical establishment”. Yo Yo Ma is in this mode, just as John Williams is at this point. They are big enough in their fields that they don’t have to care as much anymore and can take musical chances that they couldn’t before.

Just my opinion...
Martin
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

User avatar
Lawler
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Lawler » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:25 am

I liked it. Specifically, I liked the sense of exploration.

Lovemyguitar
Posts: 3497
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:32 am

I'm with Mollbarre (and more recent posters) -- what's the issue here?

I don't see what is so "dumb" about mid-20th century avant-garde music accompanying a poetry reading. In case anybody doesn't know, Ma is playing the first movement of George Crumb's "Sonata for Solo Cello". I'd hardly classify that as "bread and circuses" -- since when are "the masses" into that kind of thing?

ddray
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:35 am

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:09 am
It makes me sad to come here and see people trashing art and artists of any kind. Have we become so small?
We're not under any obligation to like this or that just because it's the product of an artist. What's small is pretending to like something that you really don't just to be edgy and with it.
Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:32 am
I'm with Mollbarre (and more recent posters) -- what's the issue here?

I don't see what is so "dumb" about mid-20th century avant-garde music accompanying a poetry reading. In case anybody doesn't know, Ma is playing the first movement of George Crumb's "Sonata for Solo Cello". I'd hardly classify that as "bread and circuses" -- since when are "the masses" into that kind of thing?
Maybe that's the point. How many YT commenters know or care a flying crap about George Crumb and his catalog, or make an honest evaluation of the music? By the way I just didn't like it. Simple.

Lovemyguitar
Posts: 3497
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:47 am

ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:35 am
...How many YT commenters know or care a flying crap about George Crumb and his catalog, or make an honest evaluation of the music? ...
I don't care a flying crap about YT commenters -- I was simply reacting to the OP and those here who seemed to agree with his assessment of the video/performance.

I know that avant-garde music isn't to everyone's taste, nor do I care a flying crap that some people don't like it, but I do care when people show a complete lack of respect for artists and their work.

ddray
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:11 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:47 am
ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:35 am
...How many YT commenters know or care a flying crap about George Crumb and his catalog, or make an honest evaluation of the music? ...
I don't care a flying crap about YT commenters -- I was simply reacting to the OP and those here who seemed to agree with his assessment of the video/performance.

I know that avant-garde music isn't to everyone's taste, nor do I care a flying crap that some people don't like it, but I do care when people show a complete lack of respect for artists and their work.
Well it was sort of partly the subject of the OP. Outside a handful of pedantics who want to show how up on contemporary "serious music" they are, how many of those YT commenters do you think turned off the video and said to themselves "wow, I've got to learn more about this music"? Maybe you *should* give a flying crap about that.
(edit) And I will admit that part of my dislike of this video is that it was framed as a mini-showcase for a couple of celebrities. If I had seen this as a conservatory project I might very well have had a different opinion. Presentation means a lot.

Wuuthrad
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Wuuthrad » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:11 am

I'm not sure what the title of this post is supposed to mean, but I closed my eyes and listened to this poetry set to live music and it moved me...

So thanks for that!

I particularly enjoyed the fusion of poetry of Ancient China, Wang Wei, and Martha Graham's, being set to this very interesting Cello music played by one of the World's Greatest.

As a musician and creative person, I felt a certain familarity to the poem and it's musical accompaniment, and went to find out more about the works and authors.
"I can sense the atonal...I always try very hard to bring it out."
- Julian Bream

montana
Posts: 1678
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by montana » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 am

ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 am
marvluse wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:31 am
I gave up on Yo-Yo long ago. He seemed to turn rogue and weird in one fell swoop. He is surely a marvelous cellist, but some of his stunts and collaborations have left me thinking, "say what???" ...
I'd have to agree. TBH I prefer Isserlis and Maisky anyway. Although Yo-Yo's hair looks a little more sane. :lol:
Gotta disagree . When I talk to serious classical guitarists, they all say there is a place in the world for atonal music .( can't understand anyone liking it) Yo Yo has reach another level and we would probably follow in his footsteps if we were as gifted

Wuuthrad
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:16 pm
Location: USA

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Wuuthrad » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:35 am

Perhaps the title of this post is a sort of thinly veiled riddle after all...?

Since Rognvald thinks nothing less than the World of himself, obviously!
"I can sense the atonal...I always try very hard to bring it out."
- Julian Bream

Return to “The Café”