Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
ddray

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:12 am

Wuuthrad wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:11 am
I'm not sure what the title of this post is supposed to mean, but I closed my eyes and listened to this poetry set to live music and it moved me...

So thanks for that!

I particularly enjoyed the fusion of poetry of Ancient China, Wang Wei, and Martha Graham's, being set to this very interesting Cello music played by one of the World's Greatest.

As a musician and creative person, I felt a certain familarity to the poem and it's musical accompaniment, and went to find out more about the works and authors.
$100 says that by this time next year you will have forgotten all about it. Or maybe even by next week.

"No artist is ever pleased..." Quick, what's that from?

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:45 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 am
Here's Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma in China. The Roman poet Juvenal called it bread and circuses. Just read the comments of the peanut gallery below.

Playing again . . . Rognvald
I think four question marks is a bit excessive. You might want to consider three or even two next time.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:06 am

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:09 am
It makes me sad to come here and see people trashing art and artists of any kind. Have we become so small?
No one is "trashing" anything. It is calling a spade a spade, pure and simple. :roll:

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:17 am
Many great musicians go out and make their mark in the musical world. After they have peaked and gained enough resources, they decide to do whatever they want for the pure fun of it and end the endless monotony of the “classical establishment”. Yo Yo Ma is in this mode, just as John Williams is at this point. They are big enough in their fields that they don’t have to care as much anymore and can take musical chances that they couldn’t before.

Just my opinion...
Martin
If I ever see Murray Perahia collaborating with Lady GaGa, I've had it.

Guero

Post by Guero » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:45 am

The OP just lays out the bait (a well-known, well-tried though) and -judging by the replies- the answer ca only be:
Yes. Obviously, yes :)

(funny that this thread reads like scripted by a daily soap playwriter...)

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 am

Last edited by ddray on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:24 am

I'll just reply to the subject question, pretending not to have seen the content and ignoring the fact that the question itself is moot ("the world" has no intelligence so can be neither dumb nor clever):

Yes, always.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 am

I thought it was really thoughtful and interesting, and much better when I closed my eyes. It would make a good radio presentation. Crumb is a wonderful composer - he has written for guitar, should anyone be interested.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Well, I would have taken the whole thing more seriously had the OP not used 4 question marks. :lol:

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Well, I suppose there are many definitions/examples of "Art." For me, this is a camp dog and pony show for the untutored masses. I especially enjoyed the opening photo of Meryl and Yo-Yo(yes, he is a Yo-Yo) laying on the ground facing each other. What was this intended to be? A primordial meeting of two quarreling iguanas in the Galapagos? Contemplative Sumo wrestlers? The result of a bad meal at McDonald's? I especially enjoyed the trite and well-rehearsed body/head movements of Ms. Streep as she read the poetry. Do these machinations make the words more profound or is it part of her "gifted artist" act meant to touch the depths of your soul? And, as far as Yo-Yo . . . I'm glad there is someone to have filled the void left by Pavorotti--the singing clown who sang duos with Sting, James Brown, Brian Adams, Meatloaf, Bono . . . who knows what could be left for Yo Yo-- playing cello on the high wire with the Flying Wallendas in a 40-knot breeze? I guess we'll just have to wait and see . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Lol...

Are you ...maybe...jealous, that they get positive reviews? :mrgreen:
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 pm
who knows what could be left for Yo Yo
Cross-dress and play tearjerker with good ole André? ;)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

DevonBadger

Post by DevonBadger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Something's bugging me about the way "dumber" is being used here that I've seen before (and those four question marks!!!!).

A coincidence that Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma are well known critics of Trump?

Hot dang! Rognvald, your true identity has been rumbled. Welcome to Delcamp Mr President :D

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:48 pm
Lol...

Are you ...maybe...jealous, that they get positive reviews? :mrgreen:

Hi, Mollbarre,
I knew there had to be someone here who figured it out. So, now that the cat is out of the bag, please keep it between you and me since I would be devastated if others on CF were privy to this knowledge. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:01 pm

She’s talking to YOU Rog, at 2:30. It’s not your job...

“I don’t like it.” “I like it” Fine.

But spare us the mental gymnastics. And keep your world view out if it. You don’t speak for it.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “The Café”