Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
davebones
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm
Location: Scarborough, Maine

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by davebones » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:18 pm

I thought the spoken and played performances were excellent. And the message of the poem seems particularly relevant to all artists, including classical guitar players. I am always happy to see a paying audience acknowledging competent artistic performance, given that too many simply lets the Justin Beibers and Taylor Swifts of the world wash over them. Next time you either play at or go to a paid gig, remember the appreciation this audience showed and see if your gig measures up.
Amalio Burguet 1a
Takamine C132s
Yamaha G245s
Yamaha SLG200nw

montana
Posts: 1676
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by montana » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 pm
Well, I suppose there are many definitions/examples of "Art." For me, this is a camp dog and pony show for the untutored masses. I especially enjoyed the opening photo of Meryl and Yo-Yo(yes, he is a Yo-Yo) laying on the ground facing each other. What was this intended to be? A primordial meeting of two quarreling iguanas in the Galapagos? Contemplative Sumo wrestlers? The result of a bad meal at McDonald's? I especially enjoyed the trite and well-rehearsed body/head movements of Ms. Streep as she read the poetry. Do these machinations make the words more profound or is it part of her "gifted artist" act meant to touch the depths of your soul? And, as far as Yo-Yo . . . I'm glad there is someone to have filled the void left by Pavorotti--the singing clown who sang duos with Sting, James Brown, Brian Adams, Meatloaf, Bono . . . who knows what could be left for Yo Yo-- playing cello on the high wire with the Flying Wallendas in a 40-knot breeze? I guess we'll just have to wait and see . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
That's funny stuff Rognvald and I disagree with it all. Wait, no you nailed the Pavarotti thing. That was a low point in the history of music

Rognvald
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:01 pm
She’s talking to YOU Rog, at 2:30. It’s not your job...

“I don’t like it.” “I like it” Fine.

But spare us the mental gymnastics. And keep your world view out if it. You don’t speak for it.

Hi, Rick,
I speak only for myself... .and that seems to be a lost Art today with the growing number of mindless automatons spewing their well-rehearsed mantras promulgated by our declining educational system and the mass media. I have never desired to run with the herd. I find their lifestyle suffocating. Playing again . . . Rognvald

P.S. This woman Streep and the New Age garbage she is spewing is nothing short of torture.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 5068
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Very good performance for me ... Just overheard the line "It's not your business to evaluate how good it is..." Clearly applicable to this performance...
Keep the channel open, as she says :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

ddray
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:03 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:01 pm
...
But spare us the mental gymnastics. And keep your world view out if it. You don’t speak for it.
The problem with a lot of contemporary art is that it's dripping with a world view usually presented in the form of fashionable or "artistically-approved" politics...which may, just *may* be one of the reasons that "the arts" have become such a "niche" thing: a disconnect with the majority of a potentially larger audience. And if it's not the "consumer's" place to judge, then whose is it? A music critic at the NYT?

By the way it's interesting that the linked video dates from all the way back to 2011, and in the intervening 8+ years still only had 30 some odd comments. Yo-Yo Ma didn't become a household name by playing George Crumb or crawling around on a stage with Meryl Streep.
Last edited by ddray on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marvluse

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by marvluse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:38 pm

Mollbarre wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:48 pm
Lol...

Are you ...maybe...jealous, that they get positive reviews? :mrgreen:
I seriously doubt it. Why would he be jealous? Perhaps you think this because you are jealous?

The fact is, it is a trite stunt, nothing more. Reminds me of a video I watched (once only) of Sting fumbling his way through the Prelude to Bach's 1st Cello Suite, with a ballerina doing pirouettes in the background. I did not eat well that night, my stomach was upset from the video.

marvluse

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by marvluse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:42 pm

davebones wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:18 pm
I thought the spoken and played performances were excellent. And the message of the poem seems particularly relevant to all artists, including classical guitar players. I am always happy to see a paying audience acknowledging competent artistic performance, given that too many simply lets the Justin Beibers and Taylor Swifts of the world wash over them. Next time you either play at or go to a paid gig, remember the appreciation this audience showed and see if your gig measures up.
I suppose you would consider my latest composition high art then. It is a set of variations on John Cage's 4'33 and runs for 27 minutes. :roll:

But, I certainly agree with you on the likes of Bweibwer, Swift, Beyonce, et al. See below, for instance. :wink:

Image
Last edited by marvluse on Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddray
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:44 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm
...
A coincidence that Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma are well known critics of Trump?
...
It's getting into forbidden territory here, and I'll limit the observation to this: simply being a critic of this or that politician or ideology doesn't sanctify whatever this or that artist does, either.
marvluse wrote:The fact is, it is a trite stunt, nothing more.
Exactly.

DevonBadger
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:03 pm
Location: Devon, UK

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by DevonBadger » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 am

ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:44 pm
DevonBadger wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm
...
A coincidence that Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma are well known critics of Trump?
...
It's getting into forbidden territory here, and I'll limit the observation to this: simply being a critic of this or that politician or ideology doesn't sanctify whatever this or that artist does, either.
I'm aware of that, and obviously if the Mods feel it has crossed that line they will act.

Although I am not trying to promote or discredit any political point of view. But merely ponder whether an underlying political motivation is contibuting to the OP's dislike of this performance. Because a critic's motivation affects how we understand and respond to what they say, don't you think?

On your second point I agree with you.

ddray
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:24 am

DevonBadger wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 am
ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:44 pm
DevonBadger wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm
...
A coincidence that Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma are well known critics of Trump?
...
It's getting into forbidden territory here, and I'll limit the observation to this: simply being a critic of this or that politician or ideology doesn't sanctify whatever this or that artist does, either.
I'm aware of that, and obviously if the Mods feel it has crossed that line they will act.

Although I am not trying to promote or discredit any political point of view. But merely ponder whether an underlying political motivation is contibuting to the OP's dislike of this performance. Because a critic's motivation affects how we understand and respond to what they say, don't you think?

On your second point I agree with you.
Well from my own perspective I have a great deal of respect for the talents of both Meryl Streep and Yo-Yo Ma, and seeing things like this -- which, let's face it is less than a blip in the whole body of their work -- just cheapens it a little with the smell of "celebrity". And I think that Yo-Yo Ma at least is a person of integrity. I really do wish though that performing artists would leave their politics in the voting booth, from whatever side, and stick to overarching principles. There are a couple of reasons that it's prohibited here, I think: one, it generates more heat than light and two, it's irrelevant when it comes to playing the guitar.

User avatar
RJVB
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 am
Location: La Ferté Milon, France

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by RJVB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 am

Merely observing that someone is a critic of a politician or of a political or religious view isn't (yet) debating those off-limits topics - but can be a justifiable argument in a perfectly sanctionable discussion, IMHO. I don't think that opinion is iconoclastic either (or assuming the mods here are enlightened enough to share a similar consensus) ;)

Anyway, I fully agree that it is usually rather disheartening to hear artists you admire share their thoughts on anything. The same applies to other "known persons" when they start sharing their taste in and (esp.) thoughts on music. We tend to develop some one-sided virtual relationship with such persons when we start to admire them, and forget those are based one a very limited view of those persons. Discovering "the other side of the medal" can be such a cold shower that your initial appreciation (e.g. of their art) suffers because of it.
(Let's be honest, Paparotzi as I like to call him didn't end up what he was because he never had an ounce of genuine musicality in him.)

I was tangentially reminded of this song (should be OK to link here as it's made re-shareable by the copyright holder):
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

marvluse

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:56 am

RJVB wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 am
... Anyway, I fully agree that it is usually rather disheartening to hear artists you admire share their thoughts on anything. The same applies to other "known persons" when they start sharing their taste in and (esp.) thoughts on music. We tend to develop some one-sided virtual relationship with such persons when we start to admire them, and forget those are based one a very limited view of those persons. Discovering "the other side of the medal" can be such a cold shower that your initial appreciation (e.g. of their art) suffers because of it.
(Let's be honest, Paparotzi as I like to call him didn't end up what he was because he never had an ounce of genuine musicality in him.)...
I couldn't agree more. What makes someone a great painter, poet, musician, or actor in no way implies competence in any other field. They are, fundamentally, human, just like everyone else, and have foibles, deficits, defects, and the like. I think that perhaps, for some of them, they mistake their fame for a sense of generalized wisdom that makes their opinions worthy and axiomatic. This notion is, of course, nonsense.

In the case of Yo-Yo Ma, I have often wondered if perhaps he has some strong attraction to big name celebrities in other fields. Of course, I don't know him at all, so it is perhaps silly to speculate about such things. Still, one can observe actions and therefrom draw what seem reasonable conclusions.

Eliot Fisk is another. He has performed for audiences in prisons, for example. What is the point to that? They are there presumably because they are "bad" human beings. Did he feel sorry for them? Why? I would have been much more impressed had he performed for a small high school class in some small, rural American town.

dan5001
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by dan5001 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Reluctant as I am to agree with someone who mis-attributes quotes to Nietzsche (read the damn book if you're gonna quote from it!) I thought it was cringey and dreadful.

User avatar
lagartija
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11457
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts, USA

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by lagartija » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm

dan5001 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Reluctant as I am to agree with someone who mis-attributes quotes to Nietzsche (read the damn book if you're gonna quote from it!)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/quoteinves ... nsane/amp/
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

dan5001
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by dan5001 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm

lagartija wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm
dan5001 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Reluctant as I am to agree with someone who mis-attributes quotes to Nietzsche (read the damn book if you're gonna quote from it!)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/quoteinves ... nsane/amp/
Thank you! Although rather than relying on Google I've actually read it. Others should suffer sinilarly before quoting (or not...) From it.

Return to “The Café”