Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
lagartija

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by lagartija » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:04 pm

dan5001 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm
lagartija wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm
dan5001 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Reluctant as I am to agree with someone who mis-attributes quotes to Nietzsche (read the damn book if you're gonna quote from it!)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/quoteinves ... nsane/amp/
Thank you! Although rather than relying on Google I've actually read it. Others should suffer sinilarly before quoting (or not...) From it.
I posted that link for the benefit of those who could not remember seeing that quote when they read it years ago, to save them the time and effort of rereading it in order to find it! ;-)
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:23 pm

dan5001 wrote:... read the damn book if you're gonna quote from it ...
Well, that would certainly be a beginning Dan - unfortunately there are some for whom reading will make little difference.
It would be simpler to amend the attribution ...

... and perhaps when we read further unintelligent or intolerant ravings we could consider:
Minette wrote:Tout comprendre rend très-indulgent.
This made me laugh:
dan5001 wrote:Others should suffer similarly before quoting (or not...) from it
because,
someone wrote:One must, in one's life, make a choice between boredom and suffering
Guess who wrote that ... ?

marvluse wrote:Eliot Fisk is another. He has performed for audiences in prisons, for example. What is the point to that?
Depends what you think the function of a prison should be.

brooks

Post by brooks » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm

marvluse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:56 am
They are there presumably because they are "bad" human beings.
I don't know if the world can get any dumber, but after this comment I'm pretty sure this thread can't.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:31 pm

brooks wrote:
marvluse wrote:They are there presumably because they are "bad" human beings.
I don't know if the world can get any dumber, but after this comment I'm pretty sure this thread can't.
Give it time ...

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:54 pm

someone wrote:One must, in one's life, make a choice between boredom and suffering
Guess who wrote that ... ?

Anyone who reads Thus Spake Zarathustra will surely achieve both....

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:01 pm

brooks wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm
marvluse wrote:
Say what??? What do we do with a rabid dog? We can't cure it. It is dangerous. So we kill it. Whoops, sorry, I should have said "euthanize" it. :roll:

Prisons contain folks that kill, rape, steal, cheat, are insane, not fit for civilized society, and a dozen other defects. Seems to me that, by calling a spade a spade, they are by rights "bad" human beings. Now, maybe you think they should all have water beds in their cells, be fed by gourmet chefs, and entertained by the likes of Eliot Fisk, but I hold a different view. I guess you are entitled to your own opinion, however defective it may be. :roll:

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 am
Here's Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma in China. The Roman poet Juvenal called it bread and circuses. Just read the comments of the peanut gallery below.

Playing again . . . Rognvald
Q: Can the world get any dumber?

A: Oh my gosh, yes. Too numerous to list but for starters, how about hot dog eating contests?

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:26 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Q: Can the world get any dumber?

A: Oh my gosh, yes. Too numerous to list but for starters, how about hot dog eating contests?
Yes, indeed. How about ghost pepper eating contests? First prize is all your medical bills paid while you recuperate. :lol:

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:31 pm

dan5001 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm
lagartija wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm
dan5001 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm
Reluctant as I am to agree with someone who mis-attributes quotes to Nietzsche (read the damn book if you're gonna quote from it!)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/quoteinves ... nsane/amp/
Thank you! Although rather than relying on Google I've actually read it. Others should suffer similarly before quoting (or not...) From it.
I surely agree. I have always regarded reading Nietzsche as a form of suffering, not unlike placing ones derriere too close to a fire. :D

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm

if the Mods feel it has crossed that line they will act.
Obviously, the mods do not care. The OP answered his own question by posting it. He is a troll and we all fell for the trap. He posted an 8 year old video for the purpose of setting up a conflict that has nothing to do with classical guitar.
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://youtu.be/8-tXOXd8gco

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm

DevonBadger wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 am
ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:44 pm
DevonBadger wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:27 pm
A coincidence that Meryl Streep and Yo Yo Ma are well known critics of Trump?
It's getting into forbidden territory here, and I'll limit the observation to this: simply being a critic of this or that politician or ideology doesn't sanctify whatever this or that artist does, either.
I'm aware of that, and obviously if the Mods feel it has crossed that line they will act.

Although I am not trying to promote or discredit any political point of view. But merely ponder whether an underlying political motivation is contibuting to the OP's dislike of this performance. Because a critic's motivation affects how we understand and respond to what they say, don't you think?

On your second point I agree with you.
This is truly a perverse leap of the imagination by someone(not me) who is obsessed by politics. How one could glean any politics from my previously stated comments is truly absurd. Enough said and back to message. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Amy Gaudia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Obviously, the mods do not care. The OP answered his own question by posting it. He is a troll and we all fell for the trap. He posted an 8 year old video for the purpose of setting up a conflict that has nothing to do with classical guitar.
Silly threads in the Café are not a violation of the forum rules. :-D
One can choose not to read them or reply to posts that facilitate conflict. Should conflict seriously break out, then the Moderators would , of course, intervene.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

brooks

Post by brooks » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:00 pm

marvluse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:01 pm
brooks wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm
marvluse wrote:
Say what??? What do we do with a rabid dog? We can't cure it. It is dangerous. So we kill it. Whoops, sorry, I should have said "euthanize" it. :roll:

Prisons contain folks that kill, rape, steal, cheat, are insane, not fit for civilized society, and a dozen other defects. Seems to me that, by calling a spade a spade, they are by rights "bad" human beings. Now, maybe you think they should all have water beds in their cells, be fed by gourmet chefs, and entertained by the likes of Eliot Fisk, but I hold a different view. I guess you are entitled to your own opinion, however defective it may be. :roll:
I see I've been proven wrong and Mark right. The thread just got a whole lot dumber.

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:17 pm

lagartija wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 pm
Amy Gaudia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Silly threads in the Café are not a violation of the forum rules. :-D
One can choose not to read them or reply to posts that facilitate conflict. Should conflict seriously break out, then the Moderators would , of course, intervene.
True, I suppose, but i still say that the OP answered his own question by posting it!! It was about as dumb as dumb can get...
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://youtu.be/8-tXOXd8gco

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:32 pm

To each his/her own. I'm sure you know the old saw about opinions being a lot like derrieres. There is nothing axiomatic about them. That they are almost always different is perhaps a good thing: were they all the same there would be no need to state them, and no need for threads on a forum. Let us all agree to disagree, in a civilized fashion. It is fun. :D

And, as Voltaire allegedly wrote, "I wholly disapprove of what you say—and will defend to the death your right to say it." :wink:

Return to “The Café”