Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
RJVB

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by RJVB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:13 pm

(Didn't get to post my reply to marvluse's reply to my previous message, but here goes)

About Eliot Fisk:
Performing in a prison isn't a problem for me; you have to assume many people are there despite themselves, and music can actually help them. See for instance http://www.moonshineandmojohands.com/episode-06.html
So yeah, in my book *refusing* to play in a prison when asked wouldn't be something I'd appreciate in an artist.

What I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I assume that often the sharing of opinions/worldviews/etc is on request from a programme maker or event organiser ("TED" talks, anyone?

Politicians, actors, well-known scientists etc. will usually not be paid but I'd hope that actors and musicians do get paid for what is basically a performance. That's not going to make it easier to say "no thank you" I guess.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 pm

RJVB wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:13 pm
(Didn't get to post my reply to marvluse's reply to my previous message, but here goes)

About Eliot Fisk:
Performing in a prison isn't a problem for me; you have to assume many people are there despite themselves, and music can actually help them. See for instance http://www.moonshineandmojohands.com/episode-06.html
So yeah, in my book *refusing* to play in a prison when asked wouldn't be something I'd appreciate in an artist.

What I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I assume that often the sharing of opinions/worldviews/etc is on request from a programme maker or event organiser ("TED" talks, anyone?

Politicians, actors, well-known scientists etc. will usually not be paid but I'd hope that actors and musicians do get paid for what is basically a performance. That's not going to make it easier to say "no thank you" I guess.
Point noted. Perhaps there is a point to it, I surely am very far from "all knowing." :) Still, there is another point of view, expressed by Robert Heinlein in one of his novels. Consider a rapist/killer. He is surely rabid and insane. But suppose he could be cured. Now he is normal and sane. How could he live with himself, knowing what he had done? Were I such a person I can't imagine wanting to live. A philosophical dilemma for sure. We have different takes on it.

BTW, I really enjoy the TED presentations. Always thoughtful.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm

lagartija wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 pm
Amy Gaudia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm

if the Mods feel it has crossed that line they will act.
Obviously, the mods do not care. The OP answered his own question by posting it. He is a troll and we all fell for the trap. He posted an 8 year old video for the purpose of setting up a conflict that has nothing to do with classical guitar.
Silly threads in the Café are not a violation of the forum rules. :-D
One can choose not to read them or reply to posts that facilitate conflict. Should conflict seriously break out, then the Moderators would , of course, intervene.
You are correct, of course. The problem for me is I like to use the "Active Topics" link to browse so this sort of thing is included. I blame myself for clicking the stupid topic in the first place, and then for bothering to reply.

The broader question for me is why even come to this forum to post something along these lines, not at all related to the guitar? I come here to ask, and answer, questions related to the guitar and its music, to share guitar experiences, and to be inspired by the performances and experiences of others. I will just have to try and step more carefully to avoid the increasingly frequent pools of muck.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm
lagartija wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 pm
Amy Gaudia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Obviously, the mods do not care. The OP answered his own question by posting it. He is a troll and we all fell for the trap. He posted an 8 year old video for the purpose of setting up a conflict that has nothing to do with classical guitar.
Silly threads in the Café are not a violation of the forum rules. :-D
One can choose not to read them or reply to posts that facilitate conflict. Should conflict seriously break out, then the Moderators would , of course, intervene.
You are correct, of course. The problem for me is I like to use the "Active Topics" link to browse so this sort of thing is included. I blame myself for clicking the stupid topic in the first place, and then for bothering to reply.

The broader question for me is why even come to this forum to post something along these lines, not at all related to the guitar? I come here to ask, and answer, questions related to the guitar and its music, to share guitar experiences, and to be inspired by the performances and experiences of others. I will just have to try and step more carefully to avoid the increasingly frequent pools of muck.
Sorry, dude, there is no muck here. That is a defective perception of your own construction. What it is, is a global community of a vast array of different human spirits. We all look in different directions. I find it refreshing to hear what someone else sees because I am not looking where they are looking. Just sayin'. :)

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote: ...
In short, the answer to your broad question is because it's nice to chit-chat with, more or less, like-minded individuals. Can't always be serious and stay on topic.

I live in an area where like-minded individuals, for any of my interests, seem to be few and far between. It's reassuring to find out I'm not the only one in world, lol.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Amy Gaudia

Post by Amy Gaudia » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:00 pm

In total agreement with the Voltaire quote...

And all anyone is doing here is saying what they want to say...

And the OP can say what he wants...

No matter how dumb it was, and how much dumber the thread has become
1992 Martin 00016
2016 Pono ULN-30 (nylon string Terz guitar)
2019 Marcus Dominelli custom small body
https://youtu.be/8-tXOXd8gco

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:39 pm

... the increasingly frequent pools of muck.
Yep. Threads dripping with snarky sarcastic superiority and the drama that usually goes with it. Best to avoid them. I wish I hadn't commented in this thread. But since I did already, I wanted to add this.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm

marvluse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 pm
Consider a rapist/killer. He is surely rabid and insane. But suppose he could be cured. Now he is normal and sane. How could he live with himself, knowing what he had done?
Using the term "cured" suggest you consider the person was ill before in some way. In that case, the answer to your question would basically be "by blaming the illness".

But this whole point is moot. Prison is not some sort of non-lethal death penalty you impose on convicts because you don't want to use the lethal variant. Even those who will/should never come out are entitled to a life, and that includes some form of culture.
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:06 pm

RJVB wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:59 pm
marvluse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 pm
Consider a rapist/killer. He is surely rabid and insane. But suppose he could be cured. Now he is normal and sane. How could he live with himself, knowing what he had done?
Using the term "cured" suggest you consider the person was ill before in some way. In that case, the answer to your question would basically be "by blaming the illness".

But this whole point is moot. Prison is not some sort of non-lethal death penalty you impose on convicts because you don't want to use the lethal variant. Even those who will/should never come out are entitled to a life, and that includes some form of culture.
Believe that naive nonsense if you will. No one is "entitled" to anything. Nature and the universe have proven that over and over and over.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm

We're not talking about nature or the universe here, but human society. If your claim was correct there wouldn't be prisons, either (or they'd be filled with random occupants).

And this is where I get off.

ddray

Post by ddray » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 pm

One person's "muck" can be another person's "debate on the state of the arts in the 21st century". Personally I think there needs to be more of the latter rather than groupthink. Within the forum rules and in the appropriate place (which this is).
Last edited by ddray on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 am

Much of what we enjoy about music happens to be poetry accompanied by instruments; it's not all abstract music.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:20 am

RJVB wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 pm
We're not talking about nature or the universe here, but human society. If your claim was correct there wouldn't be prisons, either (or they'd be filled with random occupants).

And this is where I get off.
So your contention is that mankind is not a part of nature and the universe? Hogwash. What makes us so special?

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:19 am

Mollbarre wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 pm
Christopher Freitag wrote: ...
In short, the answer to your broad question is because it's nice to chit-chat with, more or less, like-minded individuals. Can't always be serious and stay on topic.

I live in an area where like-minded individuals, for any of my interests, seem to be few and far between. It's reassuring to find out I'm not the only one in world, lol.

Hi, Molbarre,
I agree completely. There are people in life who need the status quo; there are others who seek to grow . . . the two are not mutually compatible. Playing again . . . Rognvald. P.S. Thanks, to many, for the great responses on a subject that could also be labeled: What is Art?
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:40 am

I'd like to know who it was that came up with the spiffing idea to paste the 5 bits together (Streep, Yo-Yo, Wang Wei, Graham, and Crumb)

I presume George Crumb must have given his consent to it...
Martha Graham + Agnes de Mille - I suspect they'd be giving approval if they could...

Wang Wei? - I dunno... I suspect he wouldn't be giving his approval.

I feel absolutely no sympathetic resonance with the sentiments expressed in the Martha Graham part of the mix -
(never mind the delivery)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Graham

Section 'Influence and legacy'

Return to “The Café”