Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
ddray

Re: Can the World Get Any Dumber????

Post by ddray » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:37 am

MartinCogg wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:40 am

I feel absolutely no sympathetic resonance with the sentiments expressed in the Martha Graham part of the mix -
(never mind the delivery)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Graham

Section 'Influence and legacy'
Interesting that you seem to be one of the few who actually listened to it. It sounds to me like vestiges of the "Art's function is to shock the bourgeoisie/artist as magnificent rebel/a breed apart" clichés from the 19th century. It's less about creating art than about smug self-congratulation and mutual admiration societies.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:23 pm

This morning the tubes served me this video of a kind of circus act that I can actually appreciate (at a certain level ... or two :D) :
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:39 pm

RJVB wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:23 pm
This morning the tubes served me this video of a kind of circus act that I can actually appreciate (at a certain level ... or two :D) :
Hah!!! It does possess a great bit of charm. I like the outfits and the venue and the dance and the simple backwoods song. I'd rate it a 9 on a scale of 10. Could have gotten a 10 if there had been a guitarist in a straw hat doing furious rasgueados in the background. :lol:

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm

That video was painful, RJ-- the music, the clogging . . . thanks to the gods I haven't had breakfast yet. However, it does remind me of another performance . . . minus the fish, of course! Playing again . . . Rognvald

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:04 pm

The Cotton-Eyed Joe is an old traditional, bluegrass or Appalachian, and I've seen interpretations doing it much more injustice (by the RedNex for instance). Without the dancing and with a singer + fiddler I'd mostly find it a bit boring. But I tip my hat for even being able to sing while playing, let alone dance.

Edit: maybe not bluegrass or Appalachian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton-Eyed_Joe

But I'll accept that the average audience here might prefer another interpretation O:-)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Ah, what the hell, good or bad it is still art. something I have found to be of my liking. We all poo-pah bad art of course, but that is a highly subjective determination (well, in most cases, not all. :D)

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:53 pm

ddray wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:37 am
MartinCogg wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:40 am

I feel absolutely no sympathetic resonance with the sentiments expressed in the Martha Graham part of the mix -
(never mind the delivery)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Graham

Section 'Influence and legacy'
Interesting that you seem to be one of the few who actually listened to it. It sounds to me like vestiges of the "Art's function is to shock the bourgeoisie/artist as magnificent rebel/a breed apart" clichés from the 19th century. It's less about creating art than about smug self-congratulation and mutual admiration societies.
I confess I find Streep annoying anyway so I wasn't able to listen too closely (first time around)... it was the suggestion in some replies
to the post that there was 'poetry' involved had me wondering - I never heard of Martha Graham being a poet - hence the trip to wikipedia.
I certainly wasn't expecting to see the text from the performance sitting there - rather makes one think the wiki page was the source for
whoever concocted the Streep/Ma spectacular.

I'd like to think that some here were just hearing a few words here and there, and accidentally managed to create something profound
poetic out of it within their own noggins (due to being very open-minded, and kindly-minded towards Streep) which they'd not be finding
in a clear-minded reading of the text.

Sometimes I wish I had a better sense of humour :?

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:09 am

Streep is definitely annoying, and in my estimation not particularly talented. But, she has accrued a bit of fame, and I suspect that was Yo-Yo's motivation. He is certainly a fine cellist, and that is what he should stick to. These nonsensical stunts do nothing for me.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:34 am

MartinCogg wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:53 pm
I confess I find Streep annoying anyway so I wasn't able to listen too closely (first time around)... it was the suggestion in some replies
to the post that there was 'poetry' involved had me wondering - I never heard of Martha Graham being a poet - hence the trip to wikipedia.
To be truthful about it I haven't seen anything Meryl Streep's been in since Kramer vs Kramer. :lol: But she was pretty good in that one, I'll admit.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:59 am

ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:34 am
MartinCogg wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:53 pm
To be truthful about it I haven't seen anything Meryl Streep's been in since Kramer vs Kramer. :lol: But she was pretty good in that one, I'll admit.
Acting, I think, is a more or less simpleton profession to a great extent. I'm pretty sure that I could do it well, the only true requirement is to suspend one's sense of self. Playing the guitar well is much more difficult. But fame and fortune do not depend upon such simple and obvious concepts. C'est la vie. :)

Return to “The Café”