João Gilberto died

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
richtm

João Gilberto died

Post by richtm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 pm

João Gilberto Prado Pereira de Oliveira died yesterday. He became 88 years old. He was besides Carlos Jobim one of the founders of the bossa nova.
I am sad that he passed away - and Looking Forward for more playing of his music. I see him underestimated besides Jobim of whom we have a lot of arrangements.
:discussion:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

simonm

Re: João Gilberto died

Post by simonm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Sad indeed. RIP.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Yes, indeed sad. And it happens to every damned one of us. There is a profound philosophic principle in that, which I have yet to glean. :?

One of my "hobbyist" interests is military history. I have always been struck by a quote of George S. Patton. When speaking about the deaths of young soldiers he remarked, "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." I am glad that Gilberto lived.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:19 pm

That is Sad news. The era of the bossa nova and haunting voice of Astrud along with the guitar of Joao Gilberto still brings pleasure to ears!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 pm

RIP, Joao,
You've been a great communicator and have given many of us some beautiful music. Playing again . . . Rognvald

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:07 pm

There are some great YouTube vids about Gilberto, Jobim and other pioneers of the Bossa sound featuring some who were there. My favorite anecdote is about the characteristic soft voices and sound of Bossa Nova. It seems this small group of musician aficionados would get together late after work in one of their hi-rise apartments in Rio. These abodes had notoriously thin walls and so they would have to play very softly out of courtesy to their neighbors. That became a characteristic feature of the genre.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:07 pm
There are some great YouTube vids about Gilberto, Jobim and other pioneers of the Bossa sound featuring some who were there. My favorite anecdote is about the characteristic soft voices and sound of Bossa Nova. It seems this small group of musician aficionados would get together late after work in one of their hi-rise apartments in Rio. These abodes had notoriously thin walls and so they would have to play very softly out of courtesy to their neighbors. That became a characteristic feature of the genre.
An interesting anecdote/observation. It is funny how sometimes the simplest and most mundane aspects of life can profoundly affect art and other worthy pursuits.

No one mentioned another giant of the genre, Luiz Bonfá. His Manhã de Carnaval is one of my old favorites. And I have always enjoyed Baden Powell's rendition...

richtm

Post by richtm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm

marvluse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am
Rick Beauregard wrote:
An interesting anecdote/observation. It is funny how sometimes the simplest and most mundane aspects of life can profoundly affect art and other worthy pursuits.

No one mentioned another giant of the genre, Luiz Bonfá. His Manhã de Carnaval is one of my old favorites. And I have always enjoyed Baden Powell's rendition...

Oh, sorry, it's just that they died already many years ago and with João Gilberto one of the last witness is now gone ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce, 2012 Cedar; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar DT; Philipp Lerche Torres 2018 Spruce

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:51 am

marvluse wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am
Rick Beauregard wrote:

Thanks, Marv,
That was played with great feeling and emotion! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am

marvluse wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:44 pm
Yes, indeed sad. And it happens to every damned one of us. There is a profound philosophic principle in that, which I have yet to glean. :?

One of my "hobbyist" interests is military history. I have always been struck by a quote of George S. Patton. When speaking about the deaths of young soldiers he remarked, "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." I am glad that Gilberto lived.
Nicely quoted. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

Return to “The Café”