Off work for a month

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
kirolak

Off work for a month

Post by kirolak » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 am

The place where I work is closing for about a month for renovations, which is wonderful as I have time to practise, but not so good regarding commission :( .

So, what to dedicate my time to? I think I will work on the Prelude & Fugue from the Bach lute suite in A minor BWV 997 (Karl Scheit edition or F Delcamp?) and if I have any energy left, Tansman's Barcarole & possibly Sarabande (with my late friend's fingering on the Segovia edition)

I have downloaded Ms. Delcamp's edition of the lute suite & am comparing it to the Scheit edition - the latter requires tuning down the e to d, but it seems the Delcamp doesn't, unless I am misreading it.Which edition is the "easier" technically, I wonder?

I've inherited so many scores of music from Bach to jazz to concertos, that I hardly know what to start on, but have definitely declared a truce on Tansman's Variations on a Theme by Scriabin :( Will leave it until my next life, when I have 6 fingers with 4 phalanges each :lol:

marvluse

Re: Off work for a month

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 am

What about Tansman's Suite in Modo Polonico? Some great pieces there that aren't terribly demanding. Just a thought. :)

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 pm

How about some Barrios? Many of his pieces sit nicely under the fingers and are harmonically and melodically so rewarding, e.g., Julia Florida.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks for the good suggestions :). I play Barrios Prelude in C minor,m but nothing else by him. Will investigate! Also the Suite in Modo Polonico, which I don't know at all. . .

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm

kirolak wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 am
The place where I work is closing for about a month for renovations, which is wonderful as I have time to practise, but not so good regarding commission :( .
Be careful. I just retired. I went from practicing one hour a day to practicing three hours a day. And now I have tensynovitis stenosans (trigger finger) and cannot play at all. I hope it will pass soon, but be careful about suddenly increasing your practice time. Do it wisely. Do stretching exercises every day for the hand muscles and tendons. And warm up the muscles before starting to play. Warming up does NOT mean playing scales. It means massaging and stretching the muscles and tendons.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:12 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm
kirolak wrote:
Be careful. I just retired. I went from practicing one hour a day to practicing three hours a day. And now I have tensynovitis stenosans (trigger finger) and cannot play at all. I hope it will pass soon, but be careful about suddenly increasing your practice time. Do it wisely. Do stretching exercises every day for the hand muscles and tendons. And warm up the muscles before starting to play. Warming up does NOT mean playing scales. It means massaging and stretching the muscles and tendons.
Thasnk you for the good advice, my 7 hours practise yesterday was also not the right thing to do

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:29 am

kirolak wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:12 am
kirolak wrote:
Thasnk you for the good advice, my 7 hours practise yesterday was also not the right thing to do
When I was young (20s) I did this kind of thing. At one sitting sometimes. In retrospect, it should be broken up, parceled, with periods of rest and attention to something else. Nowadays 2 hours is about my limit. But I might do it several times a day, with suitable entr'actes for other things: gardening, napping, whatever.

The problem, of course, is that life intervenes, and there are responsibilities that cannot be ignored, that take away from the desire to just practice, practice, practice, play, play, play. I guess I am lucky, as I am now retired, and the most demanding real world task for me is a quick trip to the supermarket or taking the garbage out. :wink:

I would counsel anyone to avoid the addiction, to maintain a reasonable balance in all things, even guitar playing. :)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:55 pm

kirolak wrote:
Good point, Yisrael,
When I returned to playing a little over a year ago after a six-year hiatus, I started out slowly building from 15-20 minute sessions to my standard 50-minute practice regimen. I now play 3-4 hours daily and if I ever feel muscle/hand fatigue after the third hour, I'll skip the 4th session. I have also just started to work my 1966 Gibson ES Jazz box into my daily practice and because the fingerboard and strings are so different, I am very careful not to overstress my hands. You must build slowly and carefully and resist the temptation to obsess. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Hi guys! I am doing exactly the opposite. I am about to start my yearly pause from CG. It usually happens in August and lasts for a month. This year it will last more because of work duties (September is expected to be hectic!). In August it is unbearably hot in Greece where I spend my summer holidays and practicing is a feat of endurance and Nitscheanic determination. I have arrived in Patras 10 days ahead of family and have taken full advantage of my time. I am not as advanced as you guys, but I have noticed unprecedented progress during these days. I am working on Espanioleta, Endecha, Lagrima, a couple of intermediate Sor studies, Carcassi 60.3, 60.11and La Catedral preludio. I feel that I need a break after 10 months of regularly playing 1.5 to 2 hours daily. The other thing is that with me progress comes in bursts, just like the last 3 days, where I notice how stronger and more secure both hands are and I hear a huge improvement in tone. All this on my (Chinese?) Juan Martinez, a broken, terribly set up guitar. But I will keep reading you of course!

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Well, @Kirolak, how did your month off go? Are you back to work yet?

Return to “The Café”