Cold Showers?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
simonm

Cold Showers?

Post by simonm » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Sometimes you hear people praising the benefit of a "cold shower". The thought arises about what exactly a "cold" shower is. If I have a "cold" shower right now, the water from the cold tap is about 26C-27C. (78F-80F). Even a wimp like myself can tolerate that level of "cold".

Are the inventors of the cold shower all from warm regions and don't know what cold it? Or are they from artic regions but enjoy near death experiences?

Discuss at your leisure.

marvluse

Re: Cold Showers?

Post by marvluse » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:13 pm

I suppose cold showers are OK for some, but not for this warm blooded boy (me). Many years ago I lived in Boulder, Colorado, and studied Ki Aikido. In January they would hold a ritual, wading into Boulder Creek and extending Ki to keep themselves warm. I never partook of the ritual, I am allergic to cold water. :D

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:51 pm

My back usually aches when I wake up, so a warm--even hot shower is my preference.
Joshia de Jonge 2016 spruce/African bw
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Kilvert's Diaries contain some interesting descriptions of cold baths, including one morning when he had to break the ice on the surface before getting in.

The only time I have needed to take cold showers was in Kochi in southern India, where there was no alternative. Even with tropical temperatures I was never tempted to linger.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 pm

My wife is pretty hot, so sometimes I need to take a cold shower!

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Hmmm ... what I am trying to establish is "how cold" is a "cold" shower. I think 26C-27C (78F-80F) is not really "cold" but nevertheless, here and now, that is what would technically be a "cold" shower is, as that is the lowest temperature available from the pipes. How cold do you think qualifies as cold enough to rank as a cold shower?

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 pm

simonm wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 pm
... How cold do you think qualifies as cold enough to rank as a cold shower?
Well, when I yell, jump, and run to something warm, that is cold. Can't really define it, but I know it when I feel it. :lol:

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 am

The invention of positive effects of cold showering was made by a cheapskate, I presume.
I would define "cold" as 10-15°C (50-59°F). 16°C (60.8°F) is already bathing temperature in the German part of the Baltic or North sea, so it can't be cold! :lol:
I sometimes like to cool down from Azorean summer days (<=25°C/77°F at 70-80%) by jumping into the Atlantic Ocean, which is about 20°C (68°F) now and will heat up to 22 or 23°C (73.4°F) in September. It's not cold, but refreshing as soon as you've managed to get entirely into it.

casy

Post by casy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:34 pm

In the time it takes my shower water to heat up I'm already done.
My water is on a meter so time is money.
I guess pipe water might be about 50 or so degrees F. before the water heater water reaches me.
The initial jolt sure feels cold especially after just coming from under warm bed covers.
Plus I think cold water is good for the skin the heart not so much.

Bowie.

Post by Bowie. » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:54 pm

I'm a health nut so I've tried them but they just leave me feeling uncomfortable and unhappy so I'd say it's a negative thing for me. Hot water takes about 3min to reach the master bedroom in my house and I hate wasting water, but I just can't stand the feeling cold showers leave me with.

However, swimming in cold water seems to be beneficial, for exercise. It encourages you to keep moving, and gives a great workout.

simonm

Post by simonm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:31 pm

casy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:34 pm

I guess pipe water might be about 50 or so degrees F. ...
I am very surprised. 50F is about 10C. I don't think I have ever experienced water that cold from a cold water tap (faucet) - I would have expect Florida "cold" water to be at least as warm as here (40N) - Florida is 10-15 degrees further south. 10C from the tap sounds more like Canada than Florida. :-)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:38 pm

When I was 17 or so I actually tried this as I had read about it and was curious (and willing to experiment on myself ). The results were very surprising. (For reference, 'cold water' meant really cold, likely 10 deg.C or so(*))

After a couple of weeks I could take an ice-cold shower yet feel nothing of the sort. As soon as the water was running, my body started a very vigorous surface circulation and I felt quite fine and not in any discomfort as I did not really feel the cold water; it felt quite invigorating. Obviously this works only up to a point in terms of both temperature and duration.

(*) I found in a regulation that in British Columbia, the cold tap water has to be at most 15 deg.C. However, in an Australian regulation that came up randomly as well, their rule for cold tap water said "to be delivered at a temperature of no more that 40 deg.C' :shock: In any case, the cold showers in my experience are not tied to the temperature of the water that is still comfortable because a different mechanism kicks in.
Last edited by guitarrista on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

doug

Post by doug » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 pm

The only cold showers I take are at the National Park Campground on Ocracoke, which has a beautiful beach. They provide showers to rinse the sand off. They take my breath away!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Well, wtaer absorbs heat like crazy, so even 60F water feels very cold. But in the ocean off the SF Bay and points north range from 13 to 18°C (55 to 64°F). I can tell you, at 55F, you will get an instant headache if you just jump in.

Enter the Dolphin Club of SF. They list themselves as (something like) the oldest geezers on the Bay. They have an annual event in which they all jump in to 55F salt bay/ocean water in Speedo suits. Now THAT would be a cold shower.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “The Café”