$8 a day for going to the moon

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
RobMacKillop

$8 a day for going to the moon

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 am

Yes, I've just found out that Buzz Aldrin got paid a mere $8 a day for going to the moon, and that included a REDUCTION from his airman's salary as his board and lodging was paid by Nasa.

I have to say the moon landing was one of the greatest events of my life, and it happened a week before my tenth birthday. I remember well my school project, which included making a space rocket from a washing-up liquid bottle. The following year we had a school trip to view some moon rock that was doing the rounds of museums, followed by our first experience of a real orchestra who were playing Holst's The Planets - one of the most exciting days of my life.

To this day I still read everything I can about our great adventure beyond our own planet, and hope I live long enough to see humans land on Mars. Thanks to Buzz and the gang!

marvluse

Re: $8 a day for going to the moon

Post by marvluse » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 am

Yeah, the whole thing was kind of silly. The salary for an astronaut captain back then was around $17K per year. Neil Armstrong could not afford life insurance, as a policy would have cost him around $50K per year. Who wants to insure someone that is likely going to die, eh?

Here's an interesting article on the subject...

https://www.businessinsider.com/neil-ar ... ied-2012-8

And another...

https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/us/buzz- ... index.html

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm

I am sure the lifetime earnings resulting from that trip was a significantly higher number than his gross wages at the time.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Well folks, today (the 16th) is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 liftoff, and the anniversary of the landing will be on the 20th. Great deeds, from what seems a long time ago.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pm

chiral3 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm
I am sure the lifetime earnings resulting from that trip was a significantly higher number than his gross wages at the time.
Yes, but that's not my point. The whole thing could easily have been a disaster, yet they were willing to do it not for the money or fame. It was their job, and the sense of historical adventure must have been overwhelming.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:44 pm

marvluse wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pm
Well folks, today (the 16th) is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 liftoff, and the anniversary of the landing will be on the 20th. Great deeds, from what seems a long time ago.
Indeed!

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm

A very big moment!
We were on a camping holiday with my parents, and with friends of my age (I was 15 years old) we spent the night in front of the collective TV with a hundred people.
A great moment despite the fatigue, the long wait before the first steps on the moon, eyes wide to stay awake.
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm

An inspiring event, full of wonder. Pretty amazing that it worked, and that most of the astronauts survived. However: Extremely wasteful, but not as wasteful as war. Another however: men seem to motivated to achieve technical leaps by war efforts. Very puzzling.
Steve

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm

I was not alive when the eagle first landed in 1969...this topic is a great interest of mine, however. I just caught the 3 part series on PBS called "Chasing the Moon". It was awesome! An interesting thing Buzz said was in reply to Armstrong's comment, "Isn't is beautiful? (That is, the moon) - and Buzz thought, "No. No it's not beautiful."

Haha. Maybe at that moment he was regretting the $8 per day :)
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm
An inspiring event, full of wonder. Pretty amazing that it worked, and that most of the astronauts survived. However: Extremely wasteful, but not as wasteful as war. Another however: men seem to motivated to achieve technical leaps by war efforts. Very puzzling.
It's not so much war efforts as it is necessity. And wars breed huge amounts of necessity. But it is who we are, it is a biological thing, the will to not only survive but overcome and thrive. Our problem has always been that our relative superior intelligence (at least on this planet) has allowed us to take war to extraordinary heights. Or so it seems to me. :wink:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:57 pm

I'd rather this thread remained focussed on the achievement of getting to the moon, if you don't mind, ladies and gentlemen. I'm enjoying reading about our personal experiences of the moon landing, rather than our propensity for killing each other.

Any more personal experiences, memories?

doug

Post by doug » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm

My dad, an elderly farmhand who worked on the farm, and I were discussing it. Jerry....the farmhand....said, "....if I wuz gunna try and hit the moon, I'd wait until it was full. I'd have more to aim at."

I just left it alone.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 pm

:lol:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Isabelle Frizac wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm
A very big moment!
We were on a camping holiday with my parents, and with friends of my age (I was 15 years old) we spent the night in front of the collective TV with a hundred people.
A great moment despite the fatigue, the long wait before the first steps on the moon, eyes wide to stay awake.
A very big moment indeed, Isabelle. My mother woke me up about 3.30am, and she and I watched it together while my three sisters and our father slept. Special moment.

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 pm

I was 24 and in graduate school. My wife and I watched on TV in a dark basement apartment belonging to another student couple. It was memorable not only for the TV footage, but for the snacks and treats provided. At the time, smoked octopus was exotic, indeed! I will not forget.
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
La Patrie Motif Parlour
Cordoba Mini M
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop Acoustic
Godin Fairmount CH Natural HG EQ

Return to “The Café”