$8 a day for going to the moon

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
chiral3

Re: $8 a day for going to the moon

Post by chiral3 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:24 pm

I wasn’t even alive yet. All the material for me was laying around the universe, but it was to be 7 years until it was assembled and initialized. What I love about the moon landing, and I realize how the Soviet Union factored in to the race, is that it is rooted in our spirit and similar to why we climb mountains. To quote George Mallory "Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?" Because it's there". Even without the soviet science program we would have went to the moon, publicly or privately funded. The planning and risk management and science that went into it, as well as the collaboration on such a singular and huge task, is just awesome. The history os the US rocket program is absolutely nuts, though. Real cowboy stuff that could never happen today. More than a few people blew themselves to hell. If interested dig up the cult book Ignition by John Clark. There are PDFs laying around online.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Here’s another thing that wouldn’t happen today! A student’s proposed thesis to his advisor (granted Robert Dicke was a rather influential advisor) in 1963 being used on Apollo 11 almost 7 years later. It is still being used today to measure the distance between the earth and the moon.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Yuk, smoked octopus?? Very exotic. They were strange times.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Good posts, chiral3...

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:59 am

This has always been significant for me. The whole program depended upon the incredible monster that von Braun oversaw the creation of. What an amazing machine...

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 am

My great-grandfather passed away about a month before the 1st moon landing. In his younger days as a farmer he plowed with a mule and a plow. When he graduated from high school, everyone laughed at the convocation speaker when he said that some day not only would all farmers have tractors, but that the tractors would have radios in them. My great-grandfather's life spanned the horse and buggy era to just before the first moon landing.

I was 10 years old. We watched the moon landing coverage on TV.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 am

Dude c'mon man, the whole thing was a hoax! Don't you know that Vikings discovered it first?
IMG_0333.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I can sense the atonal...I always try very hard to bring it out."
- Julian Bream

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 am

I was a young US Air Force officer stationed at an airbase at Madrid, Spain, at the time. I listened to the moon landing on radio, then stayed up all night in front of a small black and white TV set, watching Armstrong and Aldrin step out onto the moon's surface. I even took photos of the TV screen during their "moonwalk". The camera NASA used on the moon then only broadcast black and white, blurry, "ghostly" images back to us here on Earth, but to me they were marvelous. Thankful I've been alive to witness our first steps into space, then onto the moon.
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm

Interestingly, the moon landing has got coverage back here in Australia over recent days as the signal of the walk were received by dishes in Australia before being rebroadcast. A gent being interviewed on the radio was talking about three copies of the moonwalk kept here as copies of the ‘master signal’ - the rebroadcast version was lower resolution to get it back to the USA and then to TVs etc

Apparently there is better quality video available as archives - still not great by today’s standard, but better than most of the world saw at the time (or maybe even since).

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pm
chiral3 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm
Yes, but that's not my point. The whole thing could easily have been a disaster, yet they were willing to do it not for the money or fame. It was their job, and the sense of historical adventure must have been overwhelming.
I agree completely. It wasn't about the money, and not all that much about personal fame either. There was a sense of duty and integrity that we don't see today. Nowadays, everything is a big contract negotiation. Not to mention that almost everyone does what they do for personal recognition, taking every opportunity that comes their way to flaunt their degrees, experience, etc. in the face of others. Integrity has been replaced by vanity. And childish arrogance seems to rule the field.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm
Interestingly, the moon landing has got coverage back here in Australia over recent days as the signal of the walk were received by dishes in Australia before being rebroadcast. A gent being interviewed on the radio was talking about three copies of the moonwalk kept here as copies of the ‘master signal’ - the rebroadcast version was lower resolution to get it back to the USA and then to TVs etc

Apparently there is better quality video available as archives - still not great by today’s standard, but better than most of the world saw at the time (or maybe even since).

My wife and I just watched The Dish for the third time. I'm sure they took liberties with the facts, but it's a charming film nonetheless.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Steve Ganz wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm
An inspiring event, full of wonder. Pretty amazing that it worked, and that most of the astronauts survived. However: Extremely wasteful, but not as wasteful as war. Another however: men seem to motivated to achieve technical leaps by war efforts. Very puzzling.
Wasteful? I cannot agree. The medical and technological advances made directly from the research and development needed for a successful moon landing are still being felt today.

We had to developed new long distance modes of electronic communication. We had to design (at the time) the most powerful computers ever built. New materials that are maximally light and strong, new construction methods, new testing methods, new training methods, better understanding of human physiology, and the list goes on and on. And all that stuff is the set of precursors of much modern technology.

It reminds me of the old Gary Larsen Far Side comic in which a cave man is writing "1 ... 2 ... 3" on the cave wall, and stating to a bystander, "I know it has no practical application, but I believe in basic research." :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm

I repeat what I said earlier, let's please keep this thread focussed on our experience of the moon landing.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:53 pm

As a kid, I was too young to pay attention to the Mercury program. But I avidly followed the Gemini and Apollo programs. I recall writing to NASA asking for information, and getting back glossy full color diagrams of the Saturn V rocket, command module, and LEM. Indeed, a friend and I earnestly planned to build our own spaceship—we were going to use an old aluminum trash can for the command module. (Not sure how the two of us would fit into a trash can.)

On July 20, the moon will be visible from earth. It’s nice to imagine that, on that night, Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin will each step outside and contemplate the place they, fifty years ago, briefly called home.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Good post, Tom. A trash can CM seems eminently sensible :-)

Return to “The Café”