$8 a day for going to the moon

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
marvluse

Re: $8 a day for going to the moon

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:21 pm

In 2012 NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter snapped an amazing photo of the Apollo 11 landing site, from an altitude of only 24km above the surface. If you recall, the LM's guidance computer, which was supposed to have more or less automated the landing, suffered several 1202 alarms (computer overload, "I can't handle this" :)) and was descending the LM into a treacherous boulder field. Neil Armstrong had to take manual control of the craft and maneuver it sideways to find a safe spot to touch down, and in the process they ran low on fuel and were within 30 seconds of having to abort the landing. But, all worked out well in the end. The photo is amazing...

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Tom Poore wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:53 pm
I recall writing to NASA asking for information, and getting back glossy full color diagrams of the Saturn V rocket, command module, and LEM. Indeed, a friend and I earnestly planned to build our own spaceship—we were going to use an old aluminum trash can for the command module. (Not sure how the two of us would fit into a trash can.)

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Two great anecdotes about the times’ past and our curiosity and relationship with science. Related but separate I remember writing RHIC and asking for pictures of their high-energy particle experiments and getting back a huge tube filled with large scale pictures in the mail. I also remember writing CERN and asking for some obscure lecture notes from a quantum field theory course that Vicki Weisskopf gave and getting back reams of material from Switzerland. Back then I could (and did) try to build things in the woods behind my house and my basement that, today, would have the ATF and FBI at my door in an instant. I caught my young son taking apart an appliance in the garage the other day. He looked at me nervously and said “I was just curious about what was inside and how it works.” I was overjoyed. Curious tinkerers created our space programs!
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Indeed they did. Apparently there were 29 British engineers (tinkerers) involved in the project.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:52 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm
I repeat what I said earlier, let's please keep this thread focussed on our experience of the moon landing.
Unfortunately, Rob, we can’t always control where our threads will go.

We went out in my backyard at night tried to see Sputnik circling overhead. Our dog had puppies. We named one Sputnik, Nkki for short. We actually did see Echo and TelStar probes in he clear New Hampshire on cold nights.

The first American in space, Alan Shepherd, was from my state and near my town. In 1961 I remember wearing my N.Y. Giants football helmet sitting in the recliner in our family room watching the entire 20 minute mission, making believe it was me in that capsule. It was a Friday and we had the day off from school. I was 10 and going to be an astronaut.

10 years later, Shepard walked on the moon. I was on a research vessel somewhere in the Gulf of Maine. It was my 20th birthday. I wasn’t making $8 a day. As I surfaced from another freezing research dive (it was February) snow flying, I thought of the crew up there on Apollo 14 walking on the moon breathing through a regulator like I was and hoped someday we might make a comparable national commitment to learn about our own planet, a perspective of which we gained on the first lunar missions. I wrote about it in my log. Buzz Aldrin had it right: “magnificent desolation”. Another astronaut, Scott Carpenter, devoted his remaining career to being an aquanaut. Unfortunately we never made that kind of all-in commitment.

This week I watched the series Chasing the Moon. What I found most interesting, because I had read and heard so much before, were the comments of Kruschev’s son. The Soviets pretty much quit race to the moon. We didn’t know it yet. Or we knew it but Von Braun and “the military industrial complex” kept the race going so the project wouldn’t end. It was also interesting how the astronauts maintained focus on their work while War was wagin in Viet Nam. They were the lucky Navy pilots.

Today I’m watching the build up to the British Open. Still no golf tournaments on the moon in spite of Alan Shepard’s great drive.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 pm

I understand people have rose colored glasses regarding moon landings, but for me it's not so bright. Especially when looking at why a nation spent, and continues to spend, so much public money on space exploration, when it has more important problems to fix here on Earth.

8$ a day...

4% of the Federal Budget from 1964-1966, 20.7 Billion $ in 2018...
IMG_0334.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I can sense the atonal...I always try very hard to bring it out."
- Julian Bream

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Wuuthrad, I don't care about that for THIS thread. I'd be happy to contribute to another thread about your opinion. My view is that we need to take care of Earth AND explore the universe.

So, I say it again (though I might as well give up trying) please let this thread be about our memories of the moon walk. I think the comments that stick to that are a wonderful read, with information we wouldn't get if we make it a political thread.

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Wuuthrad wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 pm
I understand people have rose colored glasses regarding moon landings, but for me it's not so bright. Especially when looking at why a nation spent, and continues to spend, so much public money on space exploration, when it has more important problems to fix here on Earth.

8$ a day...

4% of the Federal Budget from 1964-1966, 20.7 Billion $ in 2018...

IMG_0334.PNG
Mostly irrelevant and nonsensical BS in my opinion. And surely not to the point of the thread, as Rob points out. Whine elsewhere, m'kay? :roll:

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 pm

There went your thread Rob.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm
Interestingly, the moon landing has got coverage back here in Australia over recent days as the signal of the walk were received by dishes in Australia before being rebroadcast. A gent being interviewed on the radio was talking about three copies of the moonwalk kept here as copies of the ‘master signal’ - the rebroadcast version was lower resolution to get it back to the USA and then to TVs etc

Apparently there is better quality video available as archives - still not great by today’s standard, but better than most of the world saw at the time (or maybe even since).

My wife and I just watched The Dish for the third time. I'm sure they took liberties with the facts, but it's a charming film nonetheless.
No. That’s exactly how things happen here. :lol:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Good to know :-)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:32 pm

Adjusted to inflation that's not too bad...I'd go to the moon for 8 bucks a day, but I'd probably get drunk and crash the billion dollar machine right into the white house...but nobody is going to give the opportunity.

It's truly sad that when you look at today's space budget and the old moon mission budgets...What was possible then, could be even more astounding now.

Like we might find a way to save the planet with resources from outer space, but only if we work together. Sadly today's images from space show our planet and biosphere is toast.

Were all gonna die, but the next time I have an 8 dollar beer I'm gonna toast to Buzz. To hell with the liver.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 pm

Messy, that's $58 today. Make it a bottle of wine.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 am

chiral3 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 pm
Messy, that's $58 today. Make it a bottle of wine.
Heck, $58 today will only buy a modestly good bottle of wine, and eventually will get you only MD20-20 or Boone's Farm.

As for $8 per day in 1969, someone like Buzz Aldrin, with a PhD from MIT, his flying experience, and his training, dedication, and bravery should surely have commanded at least $9 a day. :roll: :D

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:52 am

Well I wasn't really whining about it, just posting some facts about the budget, as that's what the 8$ a day figure brought to mind.

Facts... surely nothing is nonsensensical and B.S. about facts! Unless maybe one is another "Space Cadet" in training? Well more power to you!

I certainly didn't mean to spoil anyone's party! I just thought the big picture was interesting, in terms of the whole "pie."

I don't have a particularly fond or foul memory, or any at all really, of any sort, re. moon landings.

Except for this:

IMG_0367.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I can sense the atonal...I always try very hard to bring it out."
- Julian Bream

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:57 am

My Memory of that ‘One Small step for Man, One Giant Step for Mankind’ brings a smile to my face. And it has nothing to do with what the pay was for the astronauts. I had bought, following my graduation from college, my first new car, a 1969 Opal GT, and was dating a girl who was a fellow sports car enthusiast. We had spent the day driving on every curvy road we could find and as evening came on we were listening to the progress of the lunar landing on the car radio. As dark set in we were in the mood to go ‘parking’ and she suggested we go to her family’s weekend getaway at a local lake; she said her folks were likely watching TV. When we arrived no one was at any of the neighboring lake houses; we had the lake to ourselves. So there we were, alone on the lake, ‘parking’, trying to navigate the small bucket seat in the car. We were listening intently to the progress on the radio. We were passionately enjoying the setting and each other and Spontaneously decided to make sure that when the final step was taken neither of us would forget the moment. We didn’t quite make the exact moment of that Giant step, but that didn’t matter. What a night! Every July 20 I enjoy a private memory and smile.
Wherever she is now, 50 years later, I hope she’ll also enjoy a private smile as I am of the evening of the Lunar Landing.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Return to “The Café”