What the Hell is going on in France?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Rognvald

What the Hell is going on in France?

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:34 am

Well . . . His name is Bireli Lagrene. I hope you enjoy!

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: BIRELI LAGRENE TRIO]
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

marvluse

Re: What the Hell is going on in France?

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:33 am

Hah! Reminds me a bit of Django. :)

[mod edit: Django's music still copyrighted. Search youtube:Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli - Jattendrai Swing 1939 - LIVE!]

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:36 am

Although Birelli is French, and awesome, I don't think Mr. Delcamp will be happy with postings of Mr. LaGreene's electric steel string guitar videos on this website. :(

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 am

riffmeister wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:36 am
Although Birelli is French, and awesome, I don't think Mr. Delcamp will be happy with postings of Mr. LaGreene's electric steel string guitar videos on this website. :(
It's music. It's the guitar. Who cares what the strings are made of? :roll:

montana

Post by montana » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 am

Ya scared me...thought we had another..Notre Dame incident .

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:37 am

Then how about Django on classical guitar?

[mod edit: Django's music still copyrighted. Search youtube: Django on Classical Guitar - Improvisation #2]

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:30 am

Very nice Rob! But, you used too many left hand fingers. :lol:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:38 am

I don't know how he managed it with two good fingers and two mangled fingers.

He met Segovia at a party, who asked where he could get the music for what Django was playing to the assembled guests. Django replied that he was just making it up. I like to imagine he was playing something like this so-called improvisation. I think he was imitating the repertoire by Torroba and others that he had heard Segovia play.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 am

when I think: Django on classical guitar - always Marcus Strand playing his own arrangement of "Minor Swing" comes to my mind

[mod edit: still copyrighted. Search veojam: Extravagant Marcus Strand plays Django Reinhardt]
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 am

From the title, I was afraid your post was about a new doping scandal in the Tour de France now underway. But it's just about yet another odd guitar, of which the music world seems to have an endless supply.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am

gitgeezer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 am
From the title, I was afraid your post was about a new doping scandal in the Tour de France now underway. But it's just about yet another odd guitar, of which the music world seems to have an endless supply.

I couldn't agree more, Git, but good/great musicians listen to many forms of "quality" music. The cross-cultural shadings become an integral part of a musician's development. Bireli is a musician's musician on any level from his technical virtuosity on the guitar to the instinctive creativity of his performance. There are many CG's that could learn from listening to his and others music and the nuances of expression that are such an important aspect of creative music performance versus music as bike riding in the park, so to speak. On a personal note, I began the serious study of CG over 20 years ago based on cross-genre listening to CG's like Segovia, Yepes, Bream, and Diaz and was hooked by the ability for personal expression on a more intimate level than playing with ensembles--the meat and potatoes of my performance past. I hope you at least enjoyed this gifted man. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:47 pm

My snide post may have given the impression that I dislike odd treatments of the classical guitar repertoire. Actually, I find some of them quite fascinating. My favorite is a selection from Sharon Isbin's CD, "Guitar Passions." She does a treatment of the Adagio from Concierto de Aranjuez with Brazilian jazz guitarist Romero Lubambo and the Dixie Dregs' electric steel-string guitarist Steve Morse. Both are virtuoso musicians. They are not just adding backup to Isbin's lead, but are trading the lead from player to player, with Isbin most often taking a secondary role. They begin at a modest pace, but about two-thirds the way through increase the tempo. Thrilling stuff.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 pm

This is going on in the US. Brilliant 8 string guitarist Charlie Hunter talking about his "chops". (His guitar consists of the three low strings on a bass guitar and the five top strings on a regular guitar) Check out his other lectures, too.....very interesting stuff.

Search YouTube for "Covert Chops | Charlie Hunter Clinic"

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 pm
This is going on in the US. Brilliant 8 string guitarist Charlie Hunter talking about his "chops". (His guitar consists of the three low strings on a bass guitar and the five top strings on a regular guitar) Check out his other lectures, too.....very interesting stuff.
Yikes! Beware the copyright trolls that inhabit this site. Soon your link will be trashed and converted to meaningless instructions on how to locate it. :roll: :D

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm

marvluse wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Yikes! Beware the copyright trolls that inhabit this site. Soon your link will be trashed and converted to meaningless instructions on how to locate it. :roll: :D

Please be careful calling our Delcamp Moderators trolls. Our moderators do us all a great service here by making sure the rules of this forum are followed. Please familiarize yourself with the rules of posting links to copyrighted music on this forum so the moderators don't have to remove them and put YouTube location instructions. Thanks! :D

Return to “The Café”