Do you enjoy going to a movie ?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
doug

Re: Do you enjoy going to a movie ?

Post by doug » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:05 pm

I needed to pick up some prescriptions, and my drug store is about 25 miles away.....in New Bern, so I suggested to my wife that we go out for supper and go to a movie. I had chosen an action-adventure film, "Fast and Furious, Hobbs and Shaw." I have watched a couple of the, "Fast and Furious" movies, and didn't care for them, but I like the two main characters in this one.....Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson. My wife said, "sure." (...she likes Dwayne Johnson) I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy this one. We both laughed several times. The animation was so over-the-top that it was funny. As we were walking out of the theater, she said to me, "I enjoyed that. You've got to teach your motorcycle to come to you like that one did!" She did comment on the way home, that she would have enjoyed it even more if they had left out the foul language. I think she's still a Dwayne Johnson fan??? :)
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:02 am

Michael Jaffe wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:29 am
We prefer to stay home and watch a movie on Netflix. We can pause, rewind, or delete it if we don't like it. We can even add subtitles if the actors are mumbling. We like to curl up on our couch with our dogs and not have to leave the house.
No. We agree with Michael and do the same thing.
Lorette

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:14 pm

CarbonElitist wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 pm
I enjoy it when people remember how to shut up and not provide commentary on the movie while it is playing. I don't seem to encounter this problem as much in expensive movie theaters like the one you described, but in your regular theater, people are downright obnoxious. I can filter out the snack noises but when somebody says "ooo...I recognize him! He was in that one movie!" or "Oh! Don't go in there! Don't go in there! You're gonna get killed!" It triggers within me a boiling rage that I can only describe as bloodlust.

So unless I can afford to go to the classy theaters with a few friends or family, I'll usual stay at home and wait for the movie to come out on Prime.
I have seen films from the 1930s and 1940s which include scenes of people attending cinema. I have noted how much more vocal the attendees are in these scenes compared to my own cinema experiences. Especially scenes involving cinemas predominately attended by children. I have often wondered if the scenes accurately portray the cinema experience of the 1930s and 1940s. I wish that I could attend a cinema where much of the audience vocally responds to the film.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 pm

kirolak wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 pm
No, I don't, simply because of the loudness of the speakers. . .I will never again subject my ears to it, although there are some really good films I would like to see in a theatre.
I always bring ear protection to the cinema because of the speaker volume.

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 am

musicbyandy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 pm
kirolak wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 pm
No, I don't, simply because of the loudness of the speakers. . .I will never again subject my ears to it, although there are some really good films I would like to see in a theatre.
I always bring ear protection to the cinema because of the speaker volume.
What a good idea!

doug

Post by doug » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:10 pm

If you want to see a good movie, go see, "The Art of Racing in the Rain." You'll laugh. You'll cry. ......and it has a happy ending. :)
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:24 pm

I hate going to the pictures - I always seems to get a seat in the worst place! Once, the woman next to me actually answered her mobile phone and had a full conversation with her daughter. Another time, I had to go and speak to the manager because the film was slightly out of focus - he came in to have look and said, "Nah, must be your eyes, mate" Needless to say we walked out and got a refund.
That said we decided to go to see 'Loving Vincent', last year. It was magnificent. There was complete silence in the cinema, people even stayed and read the credits at the end of the film. Something that usually ends up in an argument, because I won't move until I've read all of the credits.

On the whole, I much prefer my widescreen tv, surround sound, and drinks cabinet - all in the same room.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Return to “The Café”