What's your Favorite Chord?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Wuuthrad

What's your Favorite Chord?

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:28 am

:guitare:

Having been studying various technical exercises in an effort to "up my game," as it were, I find it somewhat interesting that many RH exercises are notated for only the open strings.

So I've been using this as added motivation (from both an improv and songwriting/composing perspective,) to use differently varying chords and chord shapes, while at the same time working the muscles of both hands, and the fingers, ever so differently and slightly more strenuously.

This also tends to stave off the repetitive and quite possibly boring nature of some exercises, as it may happen for some- although not for me, as I'm never too dull to be bored by my own mind (let's forget my playing for a moment shall we,) even despite the insinuations of few others!

Quite to the contrary in fact, as I do take delight in the oft derided, mundane and repetitive, which fortuitously serve me as a "musical springboard" for all the beauteous résonances to spring forth, from the well of the ordinarily overdone studies or exercises, where from our mind can joyously wander in wondrously inspired imagination. I would hope anyway...

And that is why I'm sharing this discovery; so that it will be a topic where people can share their favorite chords, etc.

During my most recent practice session, which just ended (and so excited was I that I immediately came here to share my discovery) I've found a somewhat familiar chord shape, to me anyway. One which I really enjoy during RH exercises!

I went to look it up, because I couldn't recall what it's name is, and lo and behold this is what I discovered: about 40 different names! It sounds absolutely fanatastic by the way; if you like dark, moody, dismal and dreary, yet evocative and mysterious sounds- this might be just your thing:

A7b9add9add12
A7b9add9
A7b9add2add12
A7b9add2
A9addb2add12
A9addb2
A7addb2add2add12
A7addb2add2
C#dim7add#13addb13/A
C#m6#5addb5add#13/A
C#m7b13b5add6/A
C#m7#5addb5add6/A
Gaddb3add13add9add#11/A
GMb5addb3add13add9/A
Gaddb3add13add2add#11/A
GMb5addb3add13add2/A
G6addb3add9add#11/A
G6b5addb3add9/A
G6addb3add2add#11/A
G6b5addb3add2/A
A#dimaddb2add14add13/A
A#dim7addb2add14/A
A#mM13b5addb2/A
A#mM7b5addb2add6/A
B7b13sus4add14/A
B7b13sus4add7/A
B9sus4#5add14/A
B9sus4#5add7/A
B7b13sus2sus4add14/A
B7b13sus2sus4add7/A
B7sus2sus4#5add14/A
B7sus2sus4#5add7/A
E6sus4add#9add#11add12/A
E6sus4add#9add#11/A
E6sus4b5add#9add12/A
E6sus4b5add#9add5/A
Em6bb5add#11add12/A
Em6bb5add#11add5/A
Edim7add4add12/A
Edim7add4add5/A

This is really something isn't it!

So what's your favorite shape?

I'm almost hesitant to say "chord" given what happened!

:bye:
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

marvluse

Re: What's your Favorite Chord?

Post by marvluse » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am

Well, taking your thread title literally, I would offer this, as surely one of my favorite sonorities upon the instrument...

https://www.marvl.net/miscellaneous/favorite-chord.jpg

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am

marvluse wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am
Well, taking your thread title literally, I would offer this, as surely one of my favorite sonorities upon the instrument...

Unfortunately the image didn't upload!

I was considering drawing out my example in TAB, but the names were so much more. It's not a difficult chord to play by any means, but isn't a commonly heard one.

I think what makes it interesting is the RH arpeggiations.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:46 pm

This could be a question within another question. There is a chord full of joy and that practically all guitarists sound to check the tuning of their guitar. And it is precisely with the chord that more guitar pieces have been written.

Regards :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:46 pm

I made a little chord sequence for practicing arpeggios called "BACH7", that's a 7th on each with root on 5th string. It gets kind of boring after a while too...I also like to switch between triads on strings 1-3 or 2-4 with a bass half note above the root. Also gets boring...
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Thank you gentleman. I'm glad there is interest in this, and I hope it will be a valuable resource.

I thought to post a TAB of my chord, as its probably more helpful than the chord names I mentioned!

Also I believe there are added benefits to using chord shapes we read, and also those of our own design, during technical exercises- to activate both the left and right parts of the brain, and both hands concurrently, hopefully in many different ways, some which I mentioned in my previous post.

It also sounds better than open strings! (Not to diminish the robotic nature of open string exercises, as they are important too in isolating the actions of each hand seperately of course, among other things.)

And I cant be the only one who gets a bit of a tired LH playing Giuliani's RH exercises? :shock: :o :D

So here we go:
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG
For more variation try a drop D tuning as this adds potential.

RH techique was cross string arpeggiation of PI, IMI, MIM, IA, etc in duple or triple time. Each of which add their own unique and subtle (which can be up to the player really) variation on articulation and "feel."

:guitare:
:bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:52 pm

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHORD?
The title refers to a chord or several chords? Because if it is several, it is incorrectly specified. It is singular!

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Umbilical . . . since there would be no music without it. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 am

Wuuthrad wrote:What's your favourite chord?
Rognvald wrote:Umbilical . . . since there would be no music without it. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Thank goodness there's no such thing as an "umbilical chord". Imagine what atrocities might be transmitted from mother to child ... Dorothy Squires in my case but it could be so much worse ... what if your mother was, God forbid, a Beatles fan?

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:58 pm

By favorite I assume you mean most pleasing and not most interesting? Most interesting is probably some microtonal burst for me.

This is likely a relative question. A chord in and of itself is only interesting given the degrees of the scale it picks out. So for me, for some reason, if I am messing around with Ionian sounds and feels, I’ve always found B(add11) pleasing. If you play it in the 5th position those open e and b strings really feel good. Descending maybe C#m7 B(add11) A(add9) and back to E major always sounded really sweet to me when the notes are swept at that critical integration point between an arpeggio and a chord. I’ve noticed that a bunch of little song ideas and etudes I’ve written through the years coincidentally will be in this key or it’s relative minor.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 pm

My favorite chord is the one I'm playing right now.

...and now

...and now

What can I say? I'm living in the moment.
Last edited by Lawler on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 pm

oops

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:37 pm

Em7add11

Nuf sed.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 pm

The E minor #7 at the end of the first cadenza in the Concierto de Aranjuez , so full of pathos.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 am
Wuuthrad wrote:What's your favourite chord?
Rognvald wrote:Umbilical . . . since there would be no music without it. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Thank goodness there's no such thing as an "umbilical chord". Imagine what atrocities might be transmitted from mother to child ... Dorothy Squires in my case but it could be so much worse ... what if your mother was, God forbid, a Beatles fan?
Now, Mark,
You know I couldn't spell it properly and get away with my intended humor . . . although, perhaps, we should change the spelling in the case of prospective musical infants. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “The Café”