What did you purchase today?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
doug
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: Arapahoe, North Carolina 28510

What did you purchase today?

Post by doug » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Not many days go by that I don't buy something.....usually for my business. On a regular basis, I purchase corrugated aluminum pipe (which we fabricate into custom made drainage structures), sheet aluminum, structural aluminum (angle, flat bar, channel, etc), hardware (bolts, screws, etc),
tools (hand-held grinders, drills, etc), office supples, and other things. This morning I bought a mower. I ordered a John Deere sickle bar mower. I have a small Kubota tractor that we mow and scrape the gravel driveways with, and I plan to use the sickle bar mower to mow the ditch banks around my shop (and home) a couple of times during the summer.

What did you purchase today?
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

User avatar
Mark Clifton-Gaultier
Posts: 1901
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 pm
Location: England

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Odd question on a guitar forum ... and yet not the most strange.

Just a grand pain. Make of that what you will.

User avatar
Mollbarre
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 am
Location: Canada

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Well...we just had a load of goat wire panels delivered...

Yesterday I bought curtain rods and drapes...

Friday I bought an amplifier...

Last week we bought a new chainsaw...the old one bit the dust...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Juan del Bosque
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 am

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Juan del Bosque » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 pm

I picked up a couple pounds of juicy organic strawberries at the jaw-dropping price of 2.99 a pound. Then I saw the organic nectarines 1.77/lb!
It's definitely high summer harvest here in Washington state.

tyke
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 8:51 am
Location: Ynys Mon, Wales, UK

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by tyke » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Carrots, mushrooms and a cucumber, not all destined for the same plate.

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Ohio, US

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 am

Five Bagatelles, William Walton, a blemished item at Strings by Mail.

Michael Jaffe
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Michael Jaffe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:54 am

A new valve for my lawn sprinkler system. I had a fountain all of a sudden from the valve box.

simonm
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9312
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Spain, IB

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by simonm » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:41 am

Juan del Bosque wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 pm
I picked up a couple pounds of juicy organic strawberries at the jaw-dropping price of 2.99 a pound. Then I saw the organic nectarines 1.77/lb!
It's definitely high summer harvest here in Washington state.
Just out go curiosity when you say "jaw dropping" is it because that is very expensive or because it is very cheap? Prices vary so much depending on location that I really don't know what you mean.

User avatar
Mark Clifton-Gaultier
Posts: 1901
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 pm
Location: England

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:11 am

simonm wrote:... is it because that is very expensive or because it is very cheap? Prices vary so much depending on location that I really don't know what you mean.
The price of "pick your own" strawberries here in the UK ranges between £3.50 and £6.50 per kilo.

Encased in plastic at the supermarket the top figure rises to around £7.50 kg. Special varieties may be significantly more expensive.

Gary Macleod
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland.

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Gary Macleod » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 am

Well last night I purchased a lot of beer and whiskey, so today I’m buying pain killers.

Juan del Bosque
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 am

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Juan del Bosque » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:44 pm

simonm wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:41 am
Juan del Bosque wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 pm
I picked up a couple pounds of juicy organic strawberries at the jaw-dropping price of 2.99 a pound. Then I saw the organic nectarines 1.77/lb!
It's definitely high summer harvest here in Washington state.
Just out go curiosity when you say "jaw dropping" is it because that is very expensive or because it is very cheap? Prices vary so much depending on location that I really don't know what you mean.
It is very cheap for organic strawberries. Stateside organic refers to the cultivation of crops without the use of pesticides. Strawberries typically use a lot of pesticides because they have rot issues growing on the ground. I believe that when it comes to nature you don't get something for nothing. It's like meds: the stronger the med the worse the side effect. It sounds like the UK price in the supermarket is well over 4 dollars a pound, and I don't know what the pesticide status is. I know the EU has stricter rules, but then there's the Brexit business I haven't been keeping up with.

Juan del Bosque
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 am

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Juan del Bosque » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 am
Well last night I purchased a lot of beer and whiskey, so today I’m buying pain killers.
Scottish liquor has a sort of cult status here in Seattle, so you wouldn't be blamed for your excesses!

User avatar
Mark Clifton-Gaultier
Posts: 1901
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 pm
Location: England

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Juan del Bosque wrote:Stateside organic refers to the cultivation of crops without the use of pesticides.
More or less the same here.
Juan del Bosque wrote:It sounds like the UK price in the supermarket is well over 4 dollars a pound ....
I only quoted the prices for regular produce - you can more or less double that for the ones in our organic veg. delivery, so your jaw-dropping reaction is warranted.

As for the B word ... just one more reason to be truly embarrassed to be English.

User avatar
Granary Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Granary Guitars » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 pm

I bought 2lbs of crushed walnut shells and an extended height pre-filled rear bag.
So what am I doing?

Al

Intune
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: What did you purchase today?

Post by Intune » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 pm

An Oasis guitar sleeve and lots of strings.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)
2019 Michael Cadiz (spruce/ziricote)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Return to “The Café”