"Cheesing the dog"

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mollbarre

"Cheesing the dog"

Post by Mollbarre » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:12 am

I hope I'm not the only pet owner on this forum! :mrgreen:

I was wondering how everyone medicates their pets?

Our old dog needed daily meds for a good half of her long life. Rather than wrestle pills down her throat I hid them in cheese, or steak. She didn't like hotdogs. Regular cheddar was fine. If it was well hidden in a bit of food, she inhaled it.

Well, now the young dog needs meds! :kap: She needs 1/4 of a pill that doesn't want to break into quarters. So I bought a pill cutter. Better, but still not good. The cheddar is too hard to hide little crumbly pill bits in. So we bought havarti. Havarti works well.

We've come to call the process of medicating "cheesing the dog".

"Hey! Bob! Did you cheese the dog before you left for work this morning?"

I suppose now we can also have a havarti party. The other dogs get a sliver of cheese at the same time - mostly to lull the drug taker into complacency.

How do you medicate your pets?
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

hilm3g

Re: "Cheesing the dog"

Post by hilm3g » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 am

Cheese also. Soft cheeses work best to hold the meds. Sometimes a section of hot dog. If the pill is large, I just toss it in the air. My yellow lab just catches it and swallows it thinking it's a treat. Never touches her lips.

Michael Jaffe
Student of the online lessons

Post by Michael Jaffe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:53 am

Peanut butter also works well. Put some on a spoon, push the piece of the pill in it and let the dog lick it off the spoon. Crunchy is best since they can’t tell what is the pill and what is a piece of peanut.

montana

Post by montana » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:12 am

Michael Jaffe wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:53 am
Peanut butter also works well. Put some on a spoon, push the piece of the pill in it and let the dog lick it off the spoon. Crunchy is best since they can’t tell what is the pill and what is a piece of peanut.
I can't second peanut butter . Gave some to my dog ...who can eat almost anything . Turned into a big diarrhea night mare. All over the carpets . Sorry about being graphic but you should be warned .

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:25 pm

I use peanut butter with our dog, too - I recently found some 'PeaMutt' Butter, made for dogs. Works wonders!

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

bear

Post by bear » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 pm

I teaspoon of peanut butter, just enough to stick to the pills.
Dogs are easy, try medicating a horse.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 am

Cheese is terrible for dogs...

We used to stuff the pill into a sliced piece of hot dog meat...that's even worse. Honestly a small slit in a small slice of grass fed beef without fat...perfectly healthy and if it i'll bite, that's relatively benign. Raw beef of course.

If your getting the dog addicted to junk food now I imagine it will be difficult to control later. A little piece of bread works fine too if it's thick and soft...better than cheese, much better.

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Unless the ‘pill’ is actually a scored tablet you should not cut one in half as the coating of some pills (and film-coated tablets) is an integral part of their mechanism of action allowing dissolution at an appropriate rate and/or absorption in a specific part of the GI system . If on the other hand you mean a scored tablet then no worries - you could just crush it and mix it with whatever. Or you could ask the vet for a suppository.....
Al

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:56 am

My Katya is almost 100 in dog years, so she has many daily meds to take.
Our vet and our pet store carry a product called "Pill Pockets". They come in pill and capsule sizes as well as different flavors such as chicken, peanut butter. The consistency is soft and there is a hollowed out spot perfectly made for hiding the pill. Once you squeeze the opening shut upon having inserted the med, you've created a "treat" that the pooch readily consumes. No muss no fuss.
Great invention! I love your cheesing the dog phrase. :D
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:38 am

We use peanut butter, too. Chunky seems to hide pills best. It works better if you keep it in the fridge, Not as messy. Never had a problem with diarea (the dog😁). String cheese was ok but not nearly as good but sticks were individually wrapped.
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

rogarc

Post by rogarc » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:22 pm

I second the pill pockets. Fortunately my old dog thinks his pills are a treat.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:18 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:56 am
My Katya is almost 100 in dog years, so she has many daily meds to take.
Our vet and our pet store carry a product called "Pill Pockets". They come in pill and capsule sizes as well as different flavors such as chicken, peanut butter. The consistency is soft and there is a hollowed out spot perfectly made for hiding the pill. Once you squeeze the opening shut upon having inserted the med, you've created a "treat" that the pooch readily consumes. No muss no fuss.
Great invention! I love your cheesing the dog phrase. :D
Thanks! :mrgreen:

And thanks for the Pill Pocket suggestion. There was one packet left at the pet store so I bought it. It is very easy to put crumbles in!

She gobbles it up!
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Granary Guitars wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 pm
Unless the ‘pill’ is actually a scored tablet you should not cut one in half as the coating of some pills (and film-coated tablets) is an integral part of their mechanism of action allowing dissolution at an appropriate rate and/or absorption in a specific part of the GI system . If on the other hand you mean a scored tablet then no worries - you could just crush it and mix it with whatever. Or you could ask the vet for a suppository.....
Al
The tablet is scored, in half. I need to give her 1/4.

I think I'll stick with oral meds. Wrestling the back end 2x a day...meh...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:27 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 am
Cheese is terrible for dogs...

We used to stuff the pill into a sliced piece of hot dog meat...that's even worse. Honestly a small slit in a small slice of grass fed beef without fat...perfectly healthy and if it i'll bite, that's relatively benign. Raw beef of course.

If your getting the dog addicted to junk food now I imagine it will be difficult to control later. A little piece of bread works fine too if it's thick and soft...better than cheese, much better.
I'm not sure how she'd become addicted to cheese. Although the lot of them seem addicted to eating sh*t; horse, cat, each other's, their own... :roll:

Most cheeses are fine, in small amounts. Just have to careful of "spiced" products. No onion, garlic...

Haven't tried peanut butter - I can't stand the smell, lol.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Return to “The Café”