Classical gas . . .out of tune or written that way?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
riffmeister

Re: Classical gas . . .out of tune or written that way?

Post by riffmeister » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 am
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:... it seems to me now that the clue is in the title
To be clear - I was referencing the idiom as in having a gas.

Apparently this goes back to at least 1839 when it is found in Dickens, "everything is gas and goiters," meaning quite alright though 20th century usage seems to originate in Irish slang where gas meant a joke or frivolity, later to have been taken up by the African American community during "the jazz era".

So perhaps not so decidely an Americanism as I thought ... unlike the fart references.
Another popular song of the time that "Classical Gas" was on the airwaves is the Rolling Stones song "Jumping Jack Flash" in which Mick sang the title lyric immediately followed by 'it's a gas gas gas'. Random thought for the day. :D

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:26 am
riffmeister wrote:The guitar is out of tune ...
I got the sense that the OP was referring more to the structure of the piece than the guitar sound ...
Yes, you are probably right about that. The piece has always seemed harmonically straightforward to me, a couple of little nifty chromatic runs with chordal underpinnings, and just a dash of phrydgian goodness to give it that 'Spanish' flair. I thought Vermillion played it quite well in that Youtube recording, but good grief the tuning of the guitar left bit to be desired.

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 am
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:... it seems to me now that the clue is in the title
To be clear - I was referencing the idiom as in having a gas.

Apparently this goes back to at least 1839 when it is found in Dickens, "everything is gas and goiters," meaning quite alright though 20th century usage seems to originate in Irish slang where gas meant a joke or frivolity, later to have been taken up by the African American community during "the jazz era".

So perhaps not so decidely an Americanism as I thought ... unlike the fart references.
I thought it was ‘gaiters’ not ‘goiters’ as you have it - which sounds decidedly unpleasant!

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:58 am

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 pm
The guitar is out of tune, moreso towards the end. The open A string and fretted A note on the third string are out of tune. Which is unfortunate since the piece is in A minor. :(
Good to get some confirmation. There are some parts of it that set my teeth on edge.

For the longest time I have been using an electronic tuner. I think that I'm so used to hearing my own guitar in perfect pitch that when another's is out just a tiny bit it seems obvious in some places.

I notice in my own playing that I really need to check my strings between pieces. Even 3 cents difference sounds bad.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 pm

The recording sounds like it is electronically altered or augmented, not the normal classical guitar. The distortions bother your ear if you are used to more faithful classical performances. That does not mean a lack of talent, etc., just that it is not what people have heard.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

sseidler

Post by sseidler » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:00 am

I'd rather stick to Tommy Emmanuel's version in this case...
:guitare:
Taylor Academy 12 N
Fender 60 NT
Ibanez S521

If music be the food of love, play on
W. Shakespeare

Return to “The Café”