maybe i'm going deaf...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

maybe i'm going deaf...

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:39 am

...but is it only me who thinks that the recent crop of Naxos guitar releases sound as if the mics were placed around 50m from the performers?

simonm

Re: maybe i'm going deaf...

Post by simonm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:39 am
...but is it only me who thinks that the recent crop of Naxos guitar releases sound as if the mics were placed around 50m from the performers?
Can't say because I haven't listened to them. I gave up buying any CDs after getting Van Morrision's then latest release more than a decade ago. On one or more of the tracks the bass was some sort of electronic white noise. Some tracks were fine but some upset me so much that I couldn't listen to the CD. I've forgotten exactly how many tracks were bad but I just gave up buying any music after that. When I want to listen, I just listen to the old stuff I have or occasionally youtube or similar or find some live music where I can be far enough away from the speakers that I don't get a headache or ringing ears.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:43 pm

Are there any on YT you could link to?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:43 pm
I listen to the new stuff on Spotify which I pay the monthly fee for. Perhaps Spotify does something to the audio which reduces the volume? They are so quiet and distant, I prefer close miced classical where you can hear the whole thing, like the player, finger squeaks, breathing et al.
Spotify is amazing though, I plug my ipad into the USB on my stereo and have the entire world's music at the touch of an interface. :shock:

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:56 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:43 pm
I listen to the new stuff on Spotify which I pay the monthly fee for. Perhaps Spotify does something to the audio which reduces the volume? They are so quiet and distant, I prefer close miced classical where you can hear the whole thing, like the player, finger squeaks, breathing et al.
Spotify is amazing though, I plug my ipad into the USB on my stereo and have the entire world's music at the touch of an interface. :shock:
Yes, and you know how much the performers are getting too ... :(

Funnily enough I assumed to you were wanting the mics further away. All the Naxos I've seen in recording sessions they do it (like John Taylor) at quite a distance in a big acoustic - opposite of your close mic preference. I'd say they are probably about 3-4 feet away.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Return to “The Café”