Compendium of Forum Knowledge

remmus

Re: compendium of forum knowledge

Post by remmus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:28 pm

owl wrote:
Hans W wrote:I suspect however that is may be a result of the upgrade to the software, which I believe happened around that time. Assuming this is indeed the case, if you really want something changed in an old post, I guess a note to the Adm would be the only option.
Hmmm!
Not sure I like this :?
I don't like the thought that I have no control over my own posts! :roll:
I would like to know for sure if this is the case... thanks Hans and Kampret... please let me know what the story is

Owl
You also lose the ability to edit your own posts in the "locked" threads. So if there was something you wanted to remove too bad because it's stuck there.
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

owl

Post by owl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Summer wrote: You also lose the ability to edit your own posts in the "locked" threads.
Hi Summer :bye:
Yep!... I knew that... once a thread is locked everyone but the mods lose access, but that's OK because the thread then becomes inactive and no one can post.
I just don't like the idea of not controlling my own posts in an active thread... especially one with attachments
I know you can always ask a mod to change stuff but I don't want to have to do that! :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

pacfan

Post by pacfan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:16 pm

Another question (sorry if this sounds stupid):

I send (or at least I think I did) a PM two days ago but it's still in the outbox. What did I do wrong? :oops:

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Pacfan, you dare to ask that question in the Compendium thread. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24921#p242697

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

pacfan

Post by pacfan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:32 pm

Hans W wrote:Pacfan, you dare to ask that question in the Compendium thread.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24921#p242697

Hans
:oops: :desole:

Sorry about that, Mr. Hans W. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate all the effort you put to help us all here.
:merci: :bravo:

Stefan Uriadka

Re: Editing posts prior to June 2008

Post by Stefan Uriadka » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:06 pm

Hans W wrote:Owl, have you gone back to some old posts to confirm if in fact the edit option is no longer there. I can't because as you know, Mods have different views and options.
As a non-mod, I can confirm that posts I have June and prior do not show an 'edit' feature, only those afterwards.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Navigating the forum

(Double click this image to enlarge)
symbols1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Classical Guitar rules!

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:52 am

OPTIONS AVAILABLE WHEN VIEWING POSTS

( Click on the image to enlarge )
symbols1.1.jpg
Next Tip or RETURN to INDEX PAGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Classical Guitar rules!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Finding scores and mp3s

Post by GeoffB » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 pm

How to find a particular score or MP3 on the forum.

If you are looking for a particular score, you need to discover firstly whether it is available on the forum, and, if so, which section it is in, and then how to find it quickly within that section. Follow steps 1 to 3. To find an mp3, go to step 4.

1. What scores are available on the forum?

2. Where will the score be?

3. How do I find it quickly among all the others?

4. How do I find an mp3?

RETURN to INDEX PAGE
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Finding scores and mp3s

Post by GeoffB » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:13 pm

What scores are available on the forum?

There are two types of score on the forum:

a) The collection provided by Jean-Francois Delcamp.
This is arranged into a series of volumes by level of difficulty. The first three levels are accessible to anyone who has posted two messages, and extra levels become available once members have posted at least 20 messages and joined the 020 group. The first three levels are found here, each as a complete pdf file.

b) Scores uploaded by members.
Click on this link to see a periodically updated list of all these scores on all the Delcamp forums (though it's been some time since the last update). Note that this list does not include the Delcamp score collection.

Unlike the Delcamp collection, scores submitted by members are different on all four forums (English, French, Italian and Spanish) so you may find it interesting to explore those on the other forums as well as our own.

(After viewing the list, click on the "Back" button on your browser to return here).

Proceed to Where will the score be?

Return to top of item
RETURN to INDEX PAGE
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Finding scores and mp3s

Post by GeoffB » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Where will the score be?

a) Scores in the Delcamp collection:

There is no alphabetical listing of these works, but at the end of the pdf file for each volume you will find a complete contents list for all the volumes in the collection. It can be useful to search this list for any required piece using your browser's search (or "find") function. This will tell you whether it is included and in which volume to look.

b) Scores submitted by members:

Having found a piece in the list of members' scores here as described in the previous section, note the code at the end of the title line, which indicates on which forum you will find the score. The two letters indicate which language forum ("en", "fr", "it" and "es" signifying English, French, Italian and Spanish respectively).

Here are quick links to each of them:

en 12 Our scores for classical guitar
fr 21 Nos partitions pour guitare classique
it 1 I nostri spartiti per chitarra classica
es 6 Nuestras partituras para guitarra clásica

If it is not on the English forum, you will need to register on the relevant other forum in order to access it, and you will need to be logged on to that forum before clicking the above links in order to see the pdf files - (See here for more information on joining and using the other forums).

Proceed to How do I find it quickly among all the others?

Return to top of item

RETURN to INDEX PAGE
Classical Guitar Forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Finding scores and mp3s

Post by GeoffB » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:21 pm

How do I find a score quickly among all the others?

If it is within a volume of collected Delcamp scores, you can use the search tool within Adobe reader, or click on the Bookmarks tab, scroll down to the required title, and click on it.

Otherwise, for member's scores and facsimiles, start at the appropriate subforum as listed above, but luckily you don't have to wade through every topic in order to find it. By default, topics are listed in order of the most recent reply. However, you can make things a lot easier by sorting the posts in various ways, most usefully by subject. For instance, if you go to the "Our scores for guitar" forum here, and scroll down to the bottom of the page. To the right of the New Topic button, you'll see an icon that looks like a downward arrow with several horizontal lines next to it. Click on that to open up a sort menu with 3 boxes. By default, the second box says (sort by) "Post Time". Use the arrow to its right and change it to "Subject", then change the third box to "Ascending", then click on "Go", as illustrated below.
new sort menu.jpg

The list will be sorted alphabetically by Subject, which in the case of scores starts with the composer's name, after the [PDF] or [JPG] (Note that these are sorted too, with all the JPGs first, then the PDFs). Then just click through the pages of sorted results till you get to the right place in the alphabet, and then scroll down to the piece you want. Obviously to make it quicker, you can skip several pages at a time, depending on where the composer's name comes alphabetically. Often you'll find what you are looking for within seconds. You may also find it useful to sort by Author instead of subject, if you are interested in the scores posted by a particular member.

Return to top of item

RETURN to INDEX PAGE
Classical Guitar Forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Finding scores and mp3s

Post by GeoffB » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Accessing a score in one of the volumes of the Delcamp score collection:

Start from the main index page, click on the appropriate link for the level of the piece, eg. on "Scores for classical guitar - D01, D02, D03" or one of the smaller links below it.
Scores1.JPG
Clicking on "Scores for classical guitar - D01, D02, D03", for instance, produces this page:
Scores2.JPG
On this page, click on the similar link in the "Announcements" panel.

Note:

The Announcements panel is usually at the bottom of this page, with a panel above it listing the higher levels as subforums. So if you're looking for level D01 and you get to this page, make sure you click on D01 again in the lower panel, and not just on the first link on the page (i.e. in the Forum panel). This is a common cause of confusion.

In the next window, scroll down to the desired level, where you will see the pieces within each pdf file listed. There will be a link to the relevant pdf file at the top of each listing.

(Note that you will need the appropriate usergroup membership to access the various levels, ie. group 002 for levels 1-3, and group 020 for levels 4-12).

Return to top of item

RETURN to INDEX PAGE
Classical Guitar Forum.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Finding scores and mp3s

Post by GeoffB » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:37 pm

How to find a particular mp3 or video on the forum.

1. Where will it be?

The mp3s and videos are divided into a number of separate sections:

Our recordings of Contemporary music
contains recordings of contemporary music, from 1940 to the present, both our own compositions and our interpretations of otherwise copyrighted works for which the composers have given their permission.

Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music
contains recordings of romantic and modern music (1870-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).

Our recordings of Classical music
contains recordings of classical music (1760-1870, e.g. Giuliani, Carcassi, Carulli).

Our recordings of Early music
contains recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).

There are also separate subforums for the works of a number of individual composers.

Each of the other language forums (French, Italian and Spanish) has a broadly similar structure for members' mp3s and videos, and you will find a greater selection of interpretations if you explore them as well as our own. The layout of the index pages is similar, so you should be able to find your way to the audio-video subforums even if you don't know the language. (See here for more information on joining and using the other language forums).

Audio-Video Index:
See this page for a periodically updated list of mp3s and videos on all the Delcamp forums with the reference codes of the subforums where they can be found. These references contain the element "en", "fr", "it", or "es", to indicate the English, French, Italian, or Spanish forums respectively, plus a number representing the exact forum or subforum. (Click on the "Back" button in your browser to return here afterwards)

Having found the reference code for the section containing your required mp3 or video, you can use the following key to go to that section. (Note that where the section is on a foreign language forum, you should log on to that forum first before returning here and clicking on the link).

en 20 Our recordings of Classical music
en 39 Our recordings of Contemporary music
en 48 Our recordings of Early music
en 83 Our recordings of Francisco Tárrega
en 89 Our recordings of J. S. Bach
en 90 Our recordings of Fernando Sor
en 102 Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music
en 110 Our recordings of John Dowland
en 111 Our recordings of Gaspar Sanz
en 112 Our recordings of S. L. Weiss
en 113 Our recordings of Matteo Carcassi
en 114 Our recordings of Ferdinando Carulli
en 115 Our recordings of Mauro Giuliani
en 117 Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
en 116 Our recordings of Members' Compositions

fr 46 Audio et Video de musique classique
fr 65 Audio et Video de musique contemporaine
fr 98 Audio et Video de musique ancienne
fr 154 Audio et Video de musique romantique et moderne
fr 165 Audio et Video de Johann Sebastian Bach

it 25 Audio e Video di musica classica
it 41 Audio e Video di musica contemporanea
it 50 Audio e Video di musica antica
it 87 Audio e Video di musica di Ferdinando Carulli
it 97 Audio e Video di musica di Francisco Tárrega
it 105 Audio e Video di musica romantica e moderna
it 110 Audio e Video di musica di Fernando Sor

es 23 Audio y Vídeo de música clásica
es 35 Audio Video, nuestras composiciones
es 68 Audio y Vídeo de música antigua
es 76 Audio y Vídeo de música romántica y moderna

You will need to register on the other language forums before you can log on to them to access their mp3s and videos. (See here for more information).

2. How do I find it quickly among all the others?

Having decided on the appropriate subforum, you can make your search easier by sorting the posts in exactly the same way as with scores. See here

Return to top of item

RETURN to INDEX PAGE
Classical Guitar Forum.

flameproof

Re: Finding scores and mp3s

Post by flameproof » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 pm

GeoffB wrote:en 44 Our mp3s level 3
A model is a useful tool when learning when you do not have a teacher to help guide you as you progress. Because of this, we have decided to record as mp3 all the partitions available on this forum. Level 3.

Notice this last one in particular. These are members' own interpretations of pieces in the Delcamp score collection. There is an ongoing effort to record all the Delcamp scores, but in order to divide up the task, various levels are assigned to different language forums:
level 1 on the French forum,
level 2 on the Italian forum,
level 3 on the English forum,
levels 4 and 10 on the Spanish forum,
levels 5 and 9 on the Portuguese forum,
levels 6, 7, and 8 on the Japanese forum.
TWO THINGS:

ONE
This idea to have a collection of interpretations of Delcamp's score collection is a great one. Unfortunately, I am sure that this system isn't working very well, for instance, there are only four submissions for the level 7 collection! Surely there must be many more recorded by members of the various forums that have just been posted to "Our Interpretations!"

I wonder why this is? (That's a rhetorical question!)

~~~

TWO
Anyway, I went to check this, so I could say look here and here and here, blah blah blah yawn, but I got distracted by Miguel Llobet's name appearing in the level 6 and 7 collections.

I didn't think Llobet was sufficiently dead for his works to be considered in the Public Domain? Wikipedia tells me he died in 1938, that's a mere 70 years ago -- I thought the critical period was 75 years. What am I missing? Are the works of Miguel Llobet in the public domain?

TWO BEE
El Testament D'Amelia appears in level 6, Cançó del Lladre appears in level 7 -- I would have had them the other way around (but that's certainly a subject for another thread).

Return to “Forum Help Guides”