What are you currently reading?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
LarryShone

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by LarryShone » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Animals Without Backbones volume 1 by Ralph Bauschbaum (1934)
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Valencia VC204H classical
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

doug

Post by doug » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:20 am

“Cold Service,” by Robert Parker. The eighties TV show, “Spenser: For Hire,” starring Robert Urick, was based on these novels, and I read and chuckle a bit. I couldn’t remember who played Hawk, so I looked it up......Avery Brooks.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

brians

Post by brians » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:23 pm

A History of the World by Andrew Marr. A world history that includes all areas of the globe. Easy to read and interesting.

davebones

Post by davebones » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:25 pm

Spying on the South: An Odyssey Across the American Divide - by Tony Horwitz. Horwitz retraced the 1840's journey of Frederick Law Olmstead, interviewing the people who live today in the places Olmstead visited. Very compelling reporting on the worldview of the folks in places like Louisiana and Texas. Interesting insights into the man who created landscape architecture and was responsible for Central Park in NYC.
Amalio Burguet 1a
Takamine C132s
Yamaha G245s
Yamaha SLG200nw

Kl3tz

Post by Kl3tz » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:24 am

The musical mind - the cognitive psychology of music by John A Sloboda, just coming off The music instinct by Philip Ball. I am currently exploring the relationship between psychology and musical performance and perception. Both books are highly illuminating in the sense that they have deepened my understanding of the processes apparent in myself in regards to music, but also in widening my knowledge of music styles across the world in aspects of harmony, rhythm melody, purpose and meaning of music. It also gave me a quick glimpse into the topics of musicology and its challenges of defining pretty much anything around the topic of music. One particularly interesting aspect is the similarity of music and language in their phonetic, syntactic and semantic aspects. It seems that we perceive and produce both in similar fashion. And, of course the emotional aspects of music, which are probably the most difficult ones to explain.
Yamaha G245s
Ibanez AEG 10N II BK
Ibanez A300E-TCS
Okay Unknown
ESP JR-208 8-string
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic
Yamaha RGX 121

Return to “The Café”