What are you currently reading?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Alicia

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Alicia » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:23 pm

e.zurcher wrote:
Alicia wrote:Rubicon - a narrated history of the Roman Republic.
That book is my list to read. Is it good?
I'm only on page 23 so I'll have to get back to you on that. The reviews are fantastic though.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

John O

Post by John O » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:04 pm

bensdad wrote:Jeff Lindsay books about Dexter.
I love those books, especially the first one, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. It's quite an accomplishment to create a likable serial killer! :twisted:

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:20 pm

I just finished The Rain Maker by John Grisham a noval about how a laywer fresh out of Law School in Phildelphia struggles to find work and ends up taking on one of the Great Legal Giants in his first big case.You learn quite a lot about behind the scenes with regards to Medical Insurance.Very funny as well.

Christianne

Post by Christianne » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:11 am

Shantaram

TimV

Post by TimV » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:56 pm

This is How by M.J. Hyland. I just finished actually.

martadella

Post by martadella » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:28 am

Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings. For the first time I'm reading this book in English.

Tubbers

Post by Tubbers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm currently reading 'Bonnie & Clyde' by Paul Schneider and will soon start reading 'I'm Staying With My Boys: The Heroic Life Of Sgt. John Basilone, USMC' by Jim Proser and Jerry Cutter
Help!

mustapick

Post by mustapick » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:15 am

The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum.

Dr Bill

Post by Dr Bill » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:40 am

Just finished "The Wine Dark Sea" by Patrick O'Brian. I have ordered the last 4 books in the series today - whatever will I read when I have finished them? Start again at the beginning I suppose.

Intune

Post by Intune » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:29 pm

About to begin Washington Irving's "Tales of the Alhambra." We vacationed in Spain this summer -- including, of course, a tour of the famous Moorish palace -- and I thought Irving's book would be an evocative reminder of that wonderful experience.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)
2019 Michael Cadiz (spruce/ziricote)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Ondo

Post by Ondo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm presently reading "Hero of Ages", volume 3 of the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I'm pretty picky with the fantasy stuff I read, but this series is really difficult to put down - and it twists many lot of the genre's cliches or turns them upside down, and does it really well.

martadella

Post by martadella » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Elizabeth Zimmermann: Knitting Workshop :D

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:34 pm

The novel that I am writing. It's back from the editor just this week and he requested that I read the manuscript and all of his comments and suggestions several times before I begin revisions. So that's what I'm doing...

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:41 am

martadella wrote:Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings. For the first time I'm reading this book in English.
I am currently re-reading it. I am struck by just how much richer it is than the recent film versions, even though I enjoyed them too. It truly is a masterpiece: Tolkien basically both invented the whole genre. By writing such a masterpiece he also destroyed the genre, because once you have read Lord of the Rings, nothing else in the genre will even begin to compare.

RevGeo

Post by RevGeo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Just finished 'A Simple Habana Melody' by Oscar Hijuelos. He also wrote 'The Mambo Kings Play Songs Of Love', for which he won the Pulitzer. The movie 'Mambo Kings' was based on that book. Great stuff for any musician to check out.

RevGeo

Return to “The Café”