Terada Guitar Fan Club

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
djwilliams

Re: Terada Guitar Fan Club

Post by djwilliams » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi
I have spotted a Terada 103n in a Flea market in Gloucester UK. The guitar looks in good condition and plays well it also has new strings. The seller wants £68 but will drop to £62. Do you think this is a good buy? I do not know much about this manufacturer. I have seen mention that it is a 3/4 size guitar but also seen it stated as a full size? I have been playing for some years but have not experimented with many different guitars
Cheers
Dave

teradaowner

Post by teradaowner » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am

Hi everyone, I have an old Terada classical guitar with the model number GU 2351. I've looked inside the guitar for the serial number but can't see one.

Does anyone know what type of wood its fretboard has? The fretboard isn't in good shape and I want to clean it. But I want to be careful not to damage it further.

Al91

Post by Al91 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:04 pm

jorpheus wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 pm
Dear all,

Also I would apply for membership.

Here is my Terada, model TG-315. Spruce top, laminated back and sides (very beautiful rosewood, also on the inner side, but the pattern is different from the outside). Beautifully carved head, quite special shape. The serial number (heel) is "S 522 020". The bracing is nearly parallel, with a full horizontal bar at the end, looks to me like a mixture of what I know from the later Kohnos and the classic fan-type bracing. It is a beautiful guitar because of the wood and the purflings that use the same pattern as the rosette.

I bought it cheap last year and left it in the case. It needs some work on the action and settings. The sound is nice but probably far from optimum. It is easy to play.

Is it a signature on the label or a print?

Some pictures enclosed,

jorpheus
Hey there !

After nice discussions in the Japanese classical guitar topic (see here), it appeared that I should move towards this topic on Terada guitars.

Indeed, first page and I discover the guitar I quoted above, which is pretty much the same as mine (same rosette, same purflings, same woods, same carved headstock). You can see pictures of mine following the link above.
It differs in two things :
- the fact that there is no mention of Terada on mine (it says "Estrella, Japan" model EG100).
- Tuners are a bit different (same spirit though)

The serial number is S 515035, which is also pretty close to the guitar above !

Owner of the quoted guitar and initiator of the thread both do not seem to be active anymore but maybe other people can give me informations about two things :
- Anyone heard about unsigned Terada guitar ?
- about the serial number : does the letter correspond to a specific year ? (then digits month/day/number)
In such a case it would give me nice information about my own guitar based on the one quoted !

Cheers,

Alain

Beagle

Post by Beagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Hi everyone,
I picked up my Terada GU 2555 a few days ago. I think it sounds and looks great.
By what I’ve read on this forum it might have been made in 1962. The serial number is 46116. Looks like a solid top with laminated sides and I’m not sure whether the back is solid or laminated. I’ll add pictures if I can. I bought it off a lady who had it for twenty years and no longer played it. She was given the guitar by a nun who was the original owner. When I looked inside through the sound hole I noticed some chalk symbols that look like Japanese writing that must have been put there during construction. It’s sounds quit a bit louder and deeper than my other cheap guitar does. It seems in very good order, though it does have a slight kick in the fret board where it meets the body of the guitar. I’m not sure if it’s worth getting fixed as it plays and sounds ok.
Cheers
Beagle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin Dunn

Post by Kevin Dunn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi Whopper, could i join this Terada Guitar Fan Club? I keep an old El Torres G200 which is still very easy to play.
1996 Claude Guibord, Spruce/BRW; 1982 Ramirez Estudio, Cedar/IRW.

keychange

Post by keychange » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi can I please join. I just picked up a G U 2535, which I cleaned up and I am delighted with the tone and volume. It has a serial number that 725874 712 people refer to a serial number list but I can't for the life of me find a link to the list. Can anyone help me date this guitar.

good2go

Post by good2go » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello all - must be twenty years ago a friend passed on to me a classical guitar in a cheap vinyl gig bag. Since then its been sitting in the corner of my studio collecting dust - Im a drummer by trade. Have just taken it out and yes its a Terada (Gakki) 400. Had never heard of the brand until I started doing some research and ended up hear. Ill endeavour to get some pics and post them. Im intrigued by all the interest Terada generates on line - its in v good condition so Ill clean it up and try it out - Im a lefty so would I be mucking it up restringing it to suit - the bridge runs straight across (not set on an angle) and the nut grooves all seem to be the same size. Would be interested on any thoughts from here.

keychange

Post by keychange » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi good2go the saddle is usually slightly higher in the bass side, you might get away with reversing it but check 12th fret intonation. Use mid or low tension strings and you should be ok

mike223

Post by mike223 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:57 pm

I found this terada
Anyone know what year it was made
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FanofJapan

Post by FanofJapan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Greetings! I'm a new member here and have been collecting Japanese guitars for many years. I have in the last to years bought two Terada classical guitars, a model 1500 and 1000. Both beautiful sounding instruments and well made.

I wondered if there is possibly an old advert or brochure showing this Terada line of classical guitars? I have found a few for others models, but not these. Am I right in saying, they are the Wood, fire and Mountain series?

Thankyou and glad to make your acquaintance.

Eric Saathoff

Post by Eric Saathoff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:54 pm

I will soon be a Terada owner. I just won a Hayashi 1000 in an auction and am waiting for it to be shipped ($52 with shipping). I know zero Japanese and there was no English on the pictured label, so it took a couple hours of patient research to figure out the mysterious Kanji. However, it looks to be the woods/forest model. I'm curious if "no. 1000" and "hayashi" both designate the model or if 1000 designates the price at time of construction. I also don't know if the mountain / fire / forest / wind group of models had consistent woods used. Solid vs laminated, cedar vs spruce ?

Eric Saathoff

Post by Eric Saathoff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Also, is that stamp at the end the "signature" of the luthier? Is it possible to figure out who that was (Terada Hikozo)?

simontupp

Post by simontupp » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am

Hey all,
Bought a Terada acoustic on the weekend. It has model no. GU3560 and the serial number is 46423. Also has 405 shown under the serial number.

Keen to find out the age. I noted on the serial number list that the 5 digit serial number may relate to 1962, but also saw a post that the GU models were late 70's early 80's in Australia? It's a steel string acoustic but seems to be in pretty good nick. Got a little bit of repair to do, some minor cracks in the bridge and some replacement parts on the tuners, but should come up okay. Keen to hear how it sounds!

Love the Japanese vintage guitars, also have a Daion 80 that just sings....

Cheers,

Tupps
IMAG0823.jpg

Wigan Artist

Post by Wigan Artist » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am

Hi Terada Fans. I recently bought a 12 string which I identified as FW 952. The bridge needs sorting out, it's unusual and because Terada info online is scarce I was unable to find detailed close up photos to replicate the saddles. Mine seems to have been patched up with a crudely cut piece of plastic. It appears it should have two saddles one acting as a string guide. Has anyone got one in working order they can post pictures of from a few different angles please? There is another FW 952 on here but the picture files are corrupt in the critical areas. What I am most interested in is the correct depth of slots in the guide saddle.

This is my guitar:-
https://ibb.co/vkBgTQ5

Any help would be much apprecaited, thanks in advance.

Return to “The Café”