What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Mick the Ramirez Man

Re: What sheet music did you buy last and why?

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 pm

"Granada" by Agustin Lara and "Maleguena" by Ernesto Lecuona. I bought them from Liona Boyd's website where she offers the sheet music that she used for her own performances and recordings. Highly recommended!
:okok:

Pulgar

Post by Pulgar » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:51 pm

It is 'Could I have this dance for the rest of my life' sung by Anne Murray (she didn't write it).

I am transcribing it to guitar for a couple of reasons. I like the song, and along with a couple of other non-classical pieces I have music to show the beauty of classical guitar to people who have no concept of Sor and other composers we hold so dear.

At the music store I could either pay and get it instantly from their printer or pay and wait a week for the commercial print. I chose the latter. I am sure the store has copyright arrangements to print it off, but it still surprised me. I also saw that the printout was typical Letter Size and not the larger commercial print size.

I prefer to buy printed collections, like the Frederic Noad series. You can't argue the price and the printing is big and very sharp when compared with typical downloaded and printed public domain music. I haven't purchased individual classical sheet music, because the books I bought have everything I could ever expect to play in my lifetime and then some.

richard3

Post by richard3 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I bought Simone Iannarelli: Italian Coffee -12 pieces (GSP258) , because I heard someone play the wonderful "L'ultimo cafe insieme".
It has some nasty stretches, but it is possible to play for me.

Daan Hoeksema

Post by Daan Hoeksema » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:39 pm

I bought Legnani opus 20 nr 1-18. Now trying a new caprichio each evening.

Daan
Het veulen dat haar moeder naar de slacht zag gaan. "Hou je taai mam".

Smith

Post by Smith » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:58 pm

LVR wrote:Variaciones sobre un tema de Victor Jara and Sonata del Caminante, both by Brouwer and both written in 2007 but just published this year. They looked interesting and I figured if I waited, I might never see them again. The former has some technique indicators for R and L hand alone which may be a bit tricky without ever having heard the piece.
The latter has an instruction which is new to me - "scorrevole." ( It's on bar 44 of the 4th movement, Toccata Nordestina, in the unlikely event someone else has this score.) :?:
Anyone know, or must I look this up?
"Scorevole" is noted in the Allegro portion of Guiliani Op. 111, Chiesa edition. "Glidingly" was the closest translation I found. I googled "Scorevole" and found a piece on utube for small orchestra by Elliot Carter, which gave me a rough idea of its meaning.

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:54 am

I bought Scott Tennant's arrangement of Wild Mountain Thyme after being inspired by Matthew McAllister's video. :)
- Donnie

Chimensch

Post by Chimensch » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:05 pm

I bought the two volume edition of "Italian Songs from the Age of Napoleon" with guitar edited by John McCormick and published by Editions Orphée because my wife is taking music singing lessons and we need material to perform together.
The guitar part is not very difficult to play.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:10 am

Waiting for Marlos Nobre's Momentos I & II in the mail because he is my favorite composer for guitar and I need it! :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Neil Roberts

Post by Neil Roberts » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 am

I think Argentina is winning the country of origin of most sheet music bought - so much good stuff coming out of there!

abremner

Post by abremner » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:15 am

I don't often buy sheet music because there is so much free stuff about, but I recently bought Steve March's "Derbyshire Suite" from Lathkill Music (Steve's site). It is quite an interesting mixture of modern and traditional and most of it is reasonably easy to play. Recommended.

Frederic

Post by Frederic » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 pm

"Verano Porteno" by Astor Piazzolla, in an anthology containing 4 transcriptions for guitar arranged by Baltazar Benitez, ISBN 3-89044-049-5. I bought this book because I have always enjoyed John Williams' performance of the "Verano Porteno". And, I think the tango form works splendidly on guitar.

Cellobello

Post by Cellobello » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:32 am

I bought Heitor Villa-Lobos Prelude No.1 e-minor to get used to the guitar again and Reger Suite for Cello solo op 131 c to have a "Bach-feeling" with a modern Composer :D

Cellobello

Jim Thompson

Post by Jim Thompson » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:42 pm

2 days ago picked up John Duarte's English Suite. Why? Played it some 30 years ago, and recently was trying to play from memory -- it was long gone. Happened to be driving by the music store -- they had slim pickings, one small bin for CG mostly full of empty folders. Luck was smiling on me.

Brad Little

Post by Brad Little » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 pm

All in Twilight, Takemitsu. It was on the auction site and my bid won. Haven't attempted it yet, right now I'm mostly playing stuff for my folk trio on steel string.
Brad

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I also have lots of music, most of it bought years ago, which is too hard for me (so far!). But I couldn't resist Merlin's 'Suite del Recuerdo' which I found 'used' on Amazon after I'd heard it on Youtube. I may never be able to play the more difficult movements, but the first one is coming along nicely!

Return to “The Café”