New avatar troubles

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
brianvds

New avatar troubles

Post by brianvds » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:23 am

I am trying to upload a new avatar picture. But try as I might, I simply cannot get the file size small enough to be allowed by the software. I managed to get it down to 6 or 7 Kb, but that is still not small enough!

Anyone know any further tricks in GIMP that I might try out?

George Crocket

Re: New avatar troubles

Post by George Crocket » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:46 am

I trust you have looked at this post?
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:21 am

George Crocket wrote:I trust you have looked at this post?
I have now, but it didn't help much. It links to another page where someone suggests downloading a piece of software that will resize images, but that software won't install unless I agree to also install all manner of other stuff that I don't want.

So I am back to trying to resize files using GIMP. Alas, no matter what I do, I cannot get the file size below 7Kb or so, which is just too large to be allowed here.

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:23 am

I don't have GIMP up on this box so I can't check, but isn't it just the "scale" tool (maybe preceded by "crop" to get rid of any unwanted edges)? If I remember correctly, that dialogue box gives you options about scaling by a percentage or setting absolute dimensions, and also forcing aspect ratio to be maintained.

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:24 am

And if won't do it, email it to me and I'll resize it and send it back.

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:00 am

jwp wrote:I don't have GIMP up on this box so I can't check, but isn't it just the "scale" tool (maybe preceded by "crop" to get rid of any unwanted edges)? If I remember correctly, that dialogue box gives you options about scaling by a percentage or setting absolute dimensions, and also forcing aspect ratio to be maintained.
GIMP has all manner of neat tools for doing this. Yes, one can crop the image, so I cropped it as small as I could. One can also resize it to any size, so I resized it to 80 pixels in height. When you then save it you can choose the resolution, so as to limit file size, but of course at low resolutions the image becomes too blurry to use. Using all of these tricks, I can get a JPG image down to about 40Kb in size. If I then save it as a GIF image, the size goes down to about 7 KB. But I simply cannot get it to drop off another Kb or two to get into the size range allowed by the board's software.

Will have to go try again and see what I can manage. It's not really a big deal; just a new self-portrait to replace the old one.

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 am

Interesting. I wonder what GIMP is actually doing, or not doing? I have a feeling that somewhere in the size reduction process it's not removing no-longer-needed information.

I just took a 933x1400, 658kb jpeg down to 53x80 and 6kb without a problem; while the result isn't great, it is certainly recognizable on-screen. That was done using FSViewer on XP, so if you're running Windows, or WINE on Linux, you might try downloading that (it's free).

Just occurred to me... The difference in size between the jpeg and gif is interesting. I just tried a couple of jpeg->gif conversions and didn't see anything like that sort of size reduction. You might try shutting down GIMP, restarting it, then opening the gif version with it and resaving it as a jpeg. The result of that would be interesting. Maybe even interesting enough for me to install GIMP on this box....

bear

Post by bear » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I usually transfer the image to "paint", then resize. Also, I have "windows photo gallery". After selecting the picture, I go to "open - microsoft office picture manager" to crop the photo. There are probably simpler ways, but when I was young, we just took a piece of coke from the fire and drew on the wall.
I hope my solution helps.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:48 pm

jwp wrote:opening the gif version with it and resaving it as a jpeg.
Well, that did the trick. In fact, now the file is actually a bit too small and grainy, but I decided it will have to do. With a face like mine, perhaps it is better if people cannot see it too clearly - they may have nightmares. :-)

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:12 pm

brianvds wrote:
jwp wrote:opening the gif version with it and resaving it as a jpeg.
Well, that did the trick.
Excellent. Well, not "excellent", maybe... more like "good - that means the problem is in the size reduction routines". And personally gratifying - means nine years of retirement hasn't completely rotted my brain.

The GIMP developers should find this interesting, especially since FSViewer doesn't have the same problem. I'll see if I can reproduce it with GIMP for Windows and on my Linux box with the latest GIMP and let them know about it if I can.

Frances McMahon

Post by Frances McMahon » Tue May 26, 2015 1:19 pm

I've got the same problem! I'm using GIMP, and have tried everything to get my photo down to 6KB. Nothing works! I've tried saving to jpeg, converting to black and white, making it 80 x 80 pixels, etc. Even when the image is 10 x 10 pixels, it's simply too large a file size! It's driving me insane.

waikuentsui

Post by waikuentsui » Tue May 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Try a web application called jpeg-optimizer.
Search jpeg-optimizer dot com.
Following instructions on screen for choose file and re-size.
Save jpeg after optimization.
Check file size for limitation.
Try upload if file size is acceptable.

Return to “The Café”