'Prelude Mortale' by Adrian Vandenberg

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
delayedMusician

'Prelude Mortale' by Adrian Vandenberg

Post by delayedMusician » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:28 am

always wondered about this great classical guitar solo. Is it by some known composer? Adrian Vandenberg is a rock guitar player, and a few rock guitar players, like Malmsteen, like to play the occasional work by classical composers but don't give the composer any credit, then an ignorant audience listens to the music and goes 'oooooh, this guitar player is a genius'. :?

So naturally I am a bit suspicious of Vandenberg too, if he can write (and certainly play!) such a great solo on classical guitar, why not taking the talent further? Maybe because it isn't his solo?
I wrote this post to see if anyone can tell me about the solo.....I am not interested in debates about rock guitar vs classical guitar, it's a waste of time for everybody...I don't despise anything if it's done with some kind of skill and good faith. I am only trying to find out if this solo is really Vandenberg's as I think it is a brilliant little piece :bye:

pogmoor

Re: 'Prelude Mortale' by Adrian Vandenberg

Post by pogmoor » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:20 am

I think this is written by Vandenberg himself and played plectrum style on an acoustic guitar. Is it classical music - it's arguably not dissimilar in construction to some of Kapsberger's tocattas :lol:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:50 pm

It's track 8 from the studio album Alibi (1985) by the Dutch hard rock band Vandenberg. All music (and lyrics) on the album are by Adrian Vandenberg (Adje van den Berg, born 1954).

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:10 pm

pogmoor wrote:I think this is written by Vandenberg himself and played plectrum style on an acoustic guitar. Is it classical music - it's arguably not dissimilar in construction to some of Kapsberger's tocattas :lol:
you do mean 'toccata' :lol:

Wow, then Vandenberg really wrote that, pretty impressive. I always thought it was the work of some 1800's classical guitarist. No, seriously, no biggie. Thanks anyways
Last edited by delayedMusician on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Eric de Vries wrote:It's track 8 from the studio album Alibi (1985) by the Dutch hard rock band Vandenberg. All music (and lyrics) on the album are by Adrian Vandenberg (Adje van den Berg, born 1954).
ok thanks. Yeah I know the album, I had it many years ago when I didn't know much about music :lol:

but this piece left an impression on me, there's secondary dominants and cool modulations and it's played very well. Maybe it's just the overall impression the reason why it sounds classical

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:58 pm

delayedMusician wrote:you do mean 'toccata'
Yeah; I always have trouble spelling that word :oops:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:57 pm

It's ok ;) after all it's only too easy for me as I am Italian.

PS. I checked your website. Must say that I have the utmost respect for what you do. Absolutely amazing. Thank you. I myself have started to discover this magical music a while ago and it's an amazing experience. Just practiced De Murcia's magical 'Los Impossibles' and almost an hour passed me by without even noticing.

Craig

Post by Craig » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:03 pm

delayedMusician wrote:It's ok ;) after all it's only too easy for me as I am Italian.

PS. I checked your website. Must say that I have the utmost respect for what you do. Absolutely amazing. Thank you. I myself have started to discover this magical music a while ago and it's an amazing experience. Just practiced De Murcia's magical 'Los Impossibles' and almost an hour passed me by without even noticing.
Does anyone know where to get sheet music for 'Los Impossibles' in the USA? It seems to be less common of his [Santiago De Murcia] work, but it is a beautiful piece.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:25 pm

I just had a listen, is it really a "composition"?,
Sounds like a load of disconnected scale runs and slur passages , more like an exercise.

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:38 pm

of course it's a composition. Whether or not it sounds a certain way to you, it's a composition. The definition of 'composition' has little or nothing to do with how you think it should sound. I could ride a steamroller down the road and sing a melody over it , record it, and give it a name, 'The singing steamroller'. Believe it or not, it would be composition. If you don't believe me, ask some composer. No real composer will tell you 'nah, that's not composition because it's not done in XYZ way'.

Unless it's Wagner, Smetana or someone like that. These guys are the only ones who are allowed to say such things :)

You are entitled not to like somebody's music, but if I were you I would not go around saying it's not composition, unless of course you have done (much) better :)

I like Vandenberg's composition. It sounds like some sort of Gypsy improvisation, and it's played well. :)

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Craig wrote:
delayedMusician wrote:It's ok ;)

Does anyone know where to get sheet music for 'Los Impossibles' in the USA? It seems to be less common of his [Santiago De Murcia] work, but it is a beautiful piece.
google Peter Stranik, it's somewhere over there, I am not sure I can post links

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Last edited by Blondie on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:38 pm

delayedMusician wrote: You are entitled not to like somebody's music, but if I were you I would not go around saying it's not composition, unless of course you have done (much) better :)
Well he plays better :) I can't comment on Gary's abilities as a composer but his tone, articulation, phrasing and overall sense of musicality on a classical guitar are streets ahead of Vandenberg's based on that piece.

However I agree with Pogmoor, its played with a pick and is probably a steel strung guitar. It did also strike me as an improvisation based around set patterns rather than a composition (like Van Halen's Spanish Fly).

I have nothing against Vandenburg, he did some good work with Whitesnake, but if you like shredding on nylon/steel strung or indeed solo pieces written by rock/metal guitarists that few would argue with the term 'composition', there are much better examples around IMO.

delayedMusician

Post by delayedMusician » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Really? Wow. Don't know what your points are, since the other user was talking composition, but it looks that you, like him, have no clue about what 'composition' means. I thought I wrote in English. Anyways, here it is: the term 'Composition' means : assembling a piece of music. It doesn't mean everybody will like it, it doesn't mean it's done in one way, it doesn't mean that it has to be in a definite style, it doesn't mean it has to be Bach. It simply means: assembling a piece of music. Whether you'll play it with your plectrum, your finger, or your foot, it's up to you.
And above all: the term 'composition', doesn't imply it's going to be a contest about who you think would be 'better'.
Like I said, you can compose with the noise of a steamroller if that's what you like. And the best part? No one can say it's wrong :lol:
For one simple reason: composing means assembling a piece of music. Make of it what you will, I have to go.

Hey you know what? I think that Vandenberg piece is really cool. I quite like it.
Last edited by delayedMusician on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:25 pm

You're quite obviously entitled to like it. I am also entitled to say that (IMO) it's really not very good. Boring in fact.

Return to “The Café”