When does an Etude become more than just a Study?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Phillips99

When does an Etude become more than just a Study?

Post by Phillips99 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:27 pm

What makes an etude worth recording? Some have risen into the professional repertoire and have been recorded many times while others are still just ... studies.

Joanne
Saez Marin G90

Catire

Re: When does an Etude become more than just a Study?

Post by Catire » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:52 pm

When it rises above the merely pedagogical.
"Can it be there was only one summer when I was ten years old?"

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:57 pm

Phillips99 wrote:What makes an etude worth recording? Some have risen into the professional repertoire and have been recorded many times while others are still just ... studies.

Joanne
- in short - level of artistic values. Including in some cases/some musical genres - the esthetic aspect - so called beauty. Going further - the "message" that certain piece brings; examples - some etudes by Frederick Chopin, also by Fernando Sor or Francisco Tarrega.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:58 pm

I think it greatly depends on WHO is recording it? :)

Aside from that, anything pedagogical can be raised above the merely pedagogical, and anything meant mainly for performance can be used for pedagogical purposes.

Phillips99

Post by Phillips99 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Sometimes I hear a piece that is so beautiful and I'm so surprised when I see it's an etude!
Joanne
Saez Marin G90

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Let's post some concert-worthy etudes for guitar! I'll start off with Villa Lobos Etude #5. I couldn't find a video of Julian Bream, but this one is very good:

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Andrea Dieci plays Etude No.5 by Heitor Villa-Lobos ]

Phillips99

Post by Phillips99 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:48 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/_XpIzVmHypo[/media]

This is a lovely piece. The sound quality and performance is outstanding.
Joanne
Saez Marin G90

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:38 pm

What a wonderful example!

aokoye

Post by aokoye » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:29 am

I agree with others who have said that when a composer composes an etude with the idea that it should just be a pedagogical exercise the etude is more likely to become more than "just an etude". I know for flute Paul Taffanel had a lot to do with it. He was a professor at the Paris Conservatory and ran a flute competition (which started in 1860) which would involve a piece being commissioned specifically for the competition - it was a required piece for the flutists who were competing.

Given that a lot of the etudes that have also come to be considered as concert pieces were written in France (not necessarily by french composers) during the romantic period I would assume that the French conservatories and the classical music scene in France at the time have a lot to do with it (the idea that etudes can be more than just pedagogical studies).

dory

Post by dory » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:56 am

I think many of us love Sor's study in Bm. Actually the sound of it haunted me over the dacades when I abandoned the guitar. Sor wrote many beautiful etudes, but that is the one that has captured so many of our hearts for reasons mysterious to me, and it is a piece I keep going back to like an addiction. I am also quite fond of estudio 13 from the Sagreras book 4. Some of Chopin's etudes have the same effect on me, although I canniot play them. I do wondder if some etudes are written for a specific pedagogical reason, and in some others the beauty of the melody just takes over.
Dory

RichardUno

Post by RichardUno » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:10 am

Here's Estudio Brillante by Francisco Tarrega, sort of a warhorse nowadays, but Fabio Zanon gives it a beautiful reading:

[media]https://youtu.be/wDX2M8Q8EOo[/media]

dory

Post by dory » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:37 pm

What makes certain studies more beloved than others? For example in the Sor studies, why is the one in Bm the most played, while although many of the others are very nice, they are rarely played as performance pieces but most of the time as ledagogical exercises only? That is a mystery to me.
Dory

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:52 pm

dory wrote:What makes certain studies more beloved than others? For example in the Sor studies, why is the one in Bm the most played, while although many of the others are very nice, they are rarely played as performance pieces but most of the time as ledagogical exercises only? That is a mystery to me.
There is an opinion that the essence of art is metaphor. If we accept this for a while, why not perceiving this etude by Sor as metaphorical story of two people who met, and the etude tells on development of their meeting, their interaction with it's ups and downs; then happened some dramatic culmination, and regardless they separated or not the story "calms down" and life/story continues in quietness. There is always a hope...
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

BWV1079

Post by BWV1079 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:47 pm

When it requires a lifetime of practice in order to play it! :D

[mod edit: copyrighted music. Search youtube: Angelo Gilardino, Studi: Ventanas, Omaggio a Prokof'ev, Soledad - Cristiano Porqueddu, chitarra]

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm a big fan of Sor; I've been playing his studies for about a year. By accident, the b minor study was one of the first that I tackled. For some reason, it's not one of my favorites. But if it's good enough for Bream...now I'll have to take it out and dust it off tonight. Maybe its magic will be revealed at last. (Or maybe my playing will be adequate for the music at last...).

Return to “The Café”