Do you use a TV converter box ?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
MarkInLA

Do you use a TV converter box ?

Post by MarkInLA » Sat May 09, 2015 8:24 am

I do.To me the analog picture on my large Sony Trinitron is better than any digital screen picture. Digital curves/curved lines are made with what I call the 'Etch-a-Sketch' technique. Very close up the arc is a series of very short horizontals stacked like stair steps. Analog TV curves and all the rest of the objects are unbroken, smoothly continuing shapes. The poor thing about converter box is that, for me anyway, the position of the antenna, especially indoor is extremely sensitive as to where it sits. I go through hell frequently trying to get the antenna in a place where there won't be a drop out. Once I find that, I usually have to scroll to the signal strength meter to get the signal to its fullest strength. But, odd thing about this is even when signal is say 92-100 it still drops out. This makes me have to get up again and, from experience I know to get the strength lower to say, 79-86 !! My theory about 100 strength dropping out is that on the other side of 100 is zero; that the strength goes higher than 100 and drops... Curious to hear your experiences with converter box TV ...Well, it's free anyway ...

simonm

Re: Do you use a TV converter box ?

Post by simonm » Sat May 09, 2015 10:03 am

No.
Don't need a converter because I don't have a TV.

montana

Post by montana » Sat May 09, 2015 10:10 am

Never heard of a converter box. Very interesting. Sounds like it gives you a good work out as well.

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Mon May 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Are you near a road? Sometimes as certain cars drive pass they somehow distort the signal and it drops out. The road is curved and most time the signal comes in and out as the offending car passes in and out of the line of sight of the antenna. At least that's what happens at my house.

Happened with the converter box as well as the new(er) digital TV.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Paul Berge

Post by Paul Berge » Mon May 11, 2015 5:31 pm

I think you have some catching up to do in terms of tv technology if you think that on analog CRT screen is capable of displaying smoother curves than a modern digital display. CRT's are prone to geometric distortion, convergence problems and due to their lower resolution will show more of the "etch-a-sketch" like qualities that you are describing. But I digress.

If you can't install a rooftop antenna, you may want to try an amplified antenna, specifically designed for indoor use.
The FCC publishes a map showing which channels you should be able to receive, but it assumes you are using an outdoor antenna mounted 30' above the ground. It is possible that you are just in an area where consistent indoor reception just isn't possible.
http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Mon May 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Analogue TV is going the way of the fax machine and the pedal powered wheelchair my friend.
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Perhaps if it's all going downhill, there's no need for pedals

:roll:
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Mon May 11, 2015 11:57 pm

You above who think a digital picture has more resolution than analog are the ones who are wrong ! What sounds better, a digital CD or a vinyl record of a classical guitar ? Did you know that because of the coldness of digital there is a huge reversion back to vinyl within the serious listeners of music ( IE, not the general public who don't know or care how their recorded music is delivered to them ) ? Why ? Because there are no machine gunned gaps within each occurring sound. Lets say a trombone begins a note then slides it up an octave. Both in C , a pianist does the same. The pianist is going fast enough across the keyboard that it seems to have, well, no seams between notes. This is a digital representation of a glissando. The bone's gliss from start to finish has no gaps in its glissando across the octave (regardless of the fact the the piano's is diatonic [white keys] and bone's is smoother than even chromatic ). This is what the diff between an a digital format and an analog format. Digital is what uses the Etch a Sketch method to give the illusion of a curve, just like the piano's. An analog (that's why it's called that ) curve in picture tube is not gapped, just like the trombone's slide. The industry has foisted the digital screen experience on us in order to be able to mass produce TVs and TV screens at half or less, the cost and at twice or more the rate of production and lower shipping weight, all based on semiconductors/chips. My Trinitron, box, and small outdoor antenna (used indoors), gives a mind blowing sharp, clear, smooth, perfect color picture, brought in via digital, but then converted back to analog. I've stood in Best Buys many times and have watched those cold, color bleeding, gigantic TV screens. ..Admittedly, I know they have better resolution than ever. But they will never be smooth and natural like analog; just tighter an etch-a-sketch illusion, of it.
:discussion: << Look very closely at this. See the curves ! They're stepped, digital illusions of curvature. You don't get this on a cathode-ray picture tube. This is the piano. Trinitron is the trombone.

aokoye

Post by aokoye » Tue May 12, 2015 3:53 am

You're comparing apples to oranges in terms of comparing digital vs analogue television signals to vinyl vs digital music. Also that picture would show up pixilated on a CRT as well, it's because of the type of image it is not because of what it's displayed on.

Paul Berge

Post by Paul Berge » Tue May 12, 2015 1:02 pm

That was quite the diatribe, MarkInLa. I already have a very good understanding of the differences between analog and digital, but that isn't even close to what we are talking about here. Have you ever looked at your analog CRT screen with a magnifying glass? Just because you think it's analog doesn't mean there aren't individual pixels.

Your Trinitron uses a shadow mask. See attached images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Berge

Post by Paul Berge » Tue May 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Last image, I promise. This is a screenshot of a trinitron tv and the owner had this to say
I've spent a lot of time working with the service menu on the Trinitron to get the geometry, brightness, contrast, color, etc. all dialed in (with the TV off, press Display, 5, Vol +, Power on the remote to enter a Sony service menu). This is as good as I've gotten the geometry so far.
Sorry, but these curves are not even remotely close to smooth. When viewing this same test pattern on my 58" Plasma TV, the circles appear perfectly round and the curves appear very smooth unless you press your face up against the screen.
geometry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 pm

MarkInLA wrote:
Sat May 09, 2015 8:24 am
I do.To me the analog picture on my large Sony Trinitron is better than any digital screen picture. Digital curves/curved lines are made with what I call the 'Etch-a-Sketch' technique. Very close up the arc is a series of very short horizontals stacked like stair steps. Analog TV curves and all the rest of the objects are unbroken, smoothly continuing shapes. The poor thing about converter box is that, for me anyway, the position of the antenna, especially indoor is extremely sensitive as to where it sits. I go through hell frequently trying to get the antenna in a place where there won't be a drop out. Once I find that, I usually have to scroll to the signal strength meter to get the signal to its fullest strength. But, odd thing about this is even when signal is say 92-100 it still drops out. This makes me have to get up again and, from experience I know to get the strength lower to say, 79-86 !! My theory about 100 strength dropping out is that on the other side of 100 is zero; that the strength goes higher than 100 and drops... Curious to hear your experiences with converter box TV ...Well, it's free anyway ...
My mother uses a TV converter box.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:08 pm

I don't know about the technical issues but I'd rather watch my Trinitron than a digital TV. Much easier on the eye.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:22 pm

Pete. Funny, after all these years you've replied with a major coincidence !! : I've had a digital Samsung TV for about 4 yrs now, and it's fine..But ! I too had a Trinitron (!) and miss the warmth of the analog cathode ray tube (CRT).. The Trini has super color !! Not that the Sam doesn't. But there IS a subtle difference !! Thanks for reply...
Unless you are already getting a good signal (little to no dropouts), I cured most of mine with an outdoor antenna set up indoors with no mast !!

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:39 pm

I DO WANT TO SAY A QUITE BELATED THANK YOU FOR ALL THE (digital !) RESPONSES TO MY OP !! I have owned a Samsung flat screen for about 4 years. Though it works fine I still think the analog experience was warmer/cozier, if you will. Paul, thanks for the graphs...M

Return to “The Café”