It's maestro Julian Bream. I've made my decision...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
aokoye

Re: Maestro Julian Bream. I've made my decision...

Post by aokoye » Tue May 12, 2015 3:49 am

Bravo for your apology. I think that happens to a lot of people online - you take all of this time to type something and then someone writes something that you weren't expecting and then you only focus on that and not anything else in the post. It's happened to me and I've seen it happen to tons of people over the years.
MarkInLA wrote:Well, it was kind of off color; discussing a master of fine arts, then getting an SNL type news-sketch gag over him. The important thing is you agree. I should have acknowledged that and let the humor just fizzle away, as was your right to speak it....Mark
That said I do disagree that mildly off color comments (mildly as in, not racist, sexist, etc) shouldn't be made about people who are brilliant in their field, performing arts or not. Just because someone is amazing at what they do (again, even if what they're amazing at is an art) doesn't mean that they should be held upon a pedestal and that any criticism or off color jokes should be forbidden. They are people just like the rest of us - yes they deserve respect, but no more (or less) respect than the average person you see walking down the street. Note that I say all of this as someone who has worked with and studied under amazing musicians some of which have been grammy nominated and/or awarded.

woodenhand

Re: It's maestro Julian Bream. I've made my decision...

Post by woodenhand » Tue May 12, 2015 4:22 am

Bream is indeed fabulous. I saw him twice in concert and was positively mesmerized throughout both performances. And it wasn't just his virtuosity; he also displayed artistry that is hardly matched anywhere.

Which makes me think of how cheapened the word "artist" has become lately in the world of music. I don't mean just classical, but music in general, including pop. "Artist" has become the word applied to anyone who gets up on stage (or on TV or whatever) and performs. Hence, there is great confusion about what being an "artist" means. No thanks to the music industry and its profit-mongering, I think that everyone is confusing performance with artistry, but these are two different things. Many people are good performers, but are they artists? Admittedly there is an element of subjectivity and personal preference, so that there will in few cases be general agreement on whether a musician/singer is just a performer or is also an artist.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone here has their own opinions on this matter, and I for one would like to hear them.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears » Tue May 12, 2015 9:11 am

I seems a bit small minded to have to take such a childish decision.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Tue May 12, 2015 12:22 pm

woodenhand wrote:"Artist" has become the word applied to anyone who gets up on stage (or on TV or whatever) and performs. Hence, there is great confusion about what being an "artist" means.
You're not wrong there...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95281&p=1013522#p1013522

:-D
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Fri May 15, 2015 1:47 am

markodarko wrote:
woodenhand wrote:"Artist" has become the word applied to anyone who gets up on stage (or on TV or whatever) and performs. Hence, there is great confusion about what being an "artist" means.
You're not wrong there...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95281&p=1013522#p1013522

:-D
Thanks for directing me to that fine comment, which I hadn't seen. These days everyone is called an "artist," which is patently absurd.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Fri May 15, 2015 1:55 am

woodenhand wrote:Thanks for directing me to that fine comment, which I hadn't seen. These days everyone is called an "artist," which is patently absurd.
Good loard. Where were you when I needed you in that thread!? :-D
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sat May 16, 2015 3:54 am

RoryJohn wrote:Who is Bream?
And you play classical guitar ? ! Either you're joking or you don't even know what this forum is about !

Return to “The Café”