Politeness, forums, social stuff, guitar and alcohol...

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
markodarko

Politeness, forums, social stuff, guitar and alcohol...

Post by markodarko » Fri May 15, 2015 2:34 am

You know, and this could very well be the multiple large Southern Comforts I've just drunk speaking, but... I just don't think I'm a very social person. Many people annoy me. Some people who comment on this forum make me wonder how on earth they can think thoughts so opposite to mine.

It's quite strange really, if I think about it. Perhaps that's why I've always liked the guitar as it's not a social instrument - well, unless you're in a band of course, which I've been in a few - but the classical guitar is, to me, a very solitary thing. I have absolutely no inclination to join a "club" or an "ensemble" or anything else which involves social interaction with other guitarists. I like the solitude.

Having said that, I also like coming onto this forum for banter, a chin-wag and to learn from others, but sometimes I wonder why. Some days there are replies to threads that make me metaphorically bite my tongue and I wonder if I'm actually on the same planet. Equally, there are some posts which balance out that reaction and make me feel "normal" again. Whatever that is.

It's usually by the same people.

Without naming names, there are a few people on here whom I genuinely like and trust in what they say. Others get my back up every time they post _anything_ - one person in particular. Ugh. And the whole snide remark, or cleverly disguised sarcasm thing. What's that all about?

Sometimes I have failed to bite my tongue and sometimes I have completely overreacted to an entire thread just because of one or two posts within it (which I've apologised about) but I have to say that sometimes I find it ever so difficult to be diplomatic. I just don't think that people and I mix very well, which is somewhat ironic seeing as I was a barman for a number of years in my youth. Still, that was then.

What on earth am I trying to get at here? I don't know. I think I'm a little drunk. Sorry.

I guess I'm trying to say - some of you whom I've virtually "met" on here are alright in my book. I'd buy you a drink. It's a pleasure to read post from such measured and intelligent people. Others, not so much. And that's really putting it politely.

I guess that's life.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Linda

Re: Politeness, forums, social stuff, guitar and alcohol...

Post by Linda » Fri May 15, 2015 3:22 am

Yes ," That's life....that's what the people say...ridin' high in April, shot down in May" I think there's a song about it all, Markodarko. (I hope I got that right) So, here's to ya'

linea
linea

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Fri May 15, 2015 3:31 am

Hi Linea, cheers. I hope that doesn't mean I'm due to be shot, seeing as it's May.

Linda

Post by Linda » Fri May 15, 2015 3:33 am

Naw, just means out of cash...I think... "So set um up Joe, I got another story you outta know" :) (Love those old Sinatra songs)

linea
linea

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri May 15, 2015 7:42 am

Like studying guitar - you skip the parts that you already play well and move to the hard bits - I am not very interested in reading likeminded opinions. I prefer to read thoughts that open my mind.
People's opinions never annoy me, only the way they present it sometimes. I don't like bullies who try to enforce their opinion upon others. Politeness and respect are conditions for any social contact. Life is too short to waste on silly fights on this forum or anywhere else.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri May 15, 2015 9:52 am

Hi Marko. You riff pretty well on a few Southern Comforts! Maybe next time get a guitar out too and record some improvisation? If it's any good when you play it back then work it up. Just don't call the collection Comfort Breaks. 8)

Hope your head's OK this morning.

Cheers Marko

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Fri May 15, 2015 10:46 am

Markodarko,

The highly symmetrical structure of your post coupled with perfect usage of paragraphs resulted in a satisfying and very enjoyable reading experience. Very enjoyable indeed.

I shall see you receive a glowing commendation from the powers that be at our next quarterly review.

"Yesterday's Southern Comfort is Today's Cranial discomfort" - A. Segovia
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

bear

Post by bear » Fri May 15, 2015 10:53 am

Marko,
Enjoy your Southern, for me...bottle of wine, fruit of the vine... Red and of course, Italian.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri May 15, 2015 11:08 am

My uke forum has no moderation. I have to be very careful when switching between it and delcamp.
I'm also careful not to post anything when I get home drunk on Tuesday nights.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sat May 16, 2015 1:16 am

Ah, Marko. So, you're a drinking man are you? I respect that. Some of my most creative postings on this forum were written while under the influence of some alcoholic elixir or other. But, I'm afraid my liver's got long head start on yours. It's held up remarkably well. Perhaps I shall share Winston Churchill's long life despite his well known predilection for the drink. I'm long in the tooth as it is.

Beautiful posting. I'll let it percolate for the evening while I imbibe. I like you better already (could never stand a godd****** teetotaler).

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Sun May 17, 2015 2:05 am

Thank you to everyone's kind replies to my drunken ramblings. I shall have to hit the bottle more often! :mrgreen:

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Sun May 17, 2015 3:08 am

Hi Marko, if you considered all annoying posts as amusing your enjoyment on the forum might be even higher! That wasn't a bad post for someone who was drunk. I think a lot of what we say is really about us rather than the person or issue we are commenting on. cheers

Whiteagle

montana

Post by montana » Sun May 17, 2015 5:16 am

I'd have to say , Marko was NOT drunk! Maybe a bit tipsy. His punctuation and grammar were spot on. It all sounded quite sober!

twang

Post by twang » Sun May 17, 2015 1:07 pm

This could very well be my coffee speaking...:-)

Did you ever put a pea in the a dog's dinner? Somehow the dog will eat it it all the except for pea, lick both the bowl and the pea clean, and you'll never notice the slightest annoyance at the pea.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun May 17, 2015 1:32 pm

So you would say you're a misanthrope, would you?

I am less annoyed by dissenting opinion than just the plethora of posts that really should never have been made in the first place, because they don't really add anything. I'm not a fan of the, "Let's write a story" or "what are you eating now" type posts. But that's just me.

Return to “The Café”