Music Calmed her .. to an amazing extent

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
granadina

Music Calmed her .. to an amazing extent

Post by granadina » Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 am

" .. one marked by a severe and progressive dementia. She was at first frightened by our presence – she had lunged at me,
and tried to scratch me, when we first entered the house. She became angry, and perhaps jealous, as we talked to the others ..
She was also .. given to bursts of screaming and giggling .

To calm her, the family started to sing an old folk song, and the old lady, so demented,
so fragmented, most of the time, joined in, singing fluently along with the others. She seemed to get all the words,
all the feeling, of the song, and to be composed, restored to herself, as long as she sang. "

Quoted from :
" The Island of the Colorblind "
- Dr Oliver Sacks

Anthony Campanella

Re: Music Calmed her .. to an amazing extent

Post by Anthony Campanella » Sun May 17, 2015 9:21 pm

That's very intense Granadina, nice that the lady could find some comfort though

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm

My guitar teacher Maurice, who sadly died last year, was, back in the 80s, chaplain at a hospital which had a psychogeriatric ward. Each week he would play songs from the patients' youth. He recalled dreadful abuse from some patients before playing, including having a bottle of urine thrown over him. But once he was playing, he recalled, often the same patients would calm and hum or sing in tune. One or two who were otherwise retired and mute would do the same. The nurses said the benefits would last an hour or so after he left and they looked forward to his visits. Maurice was more ambivalent!

granadina

Post by granadina » Mon May 18, 2015 4:22 am

Oliver Sacks adds a note in the end -

" My colleague and I slipped out quietly while they were singing , suddenly feeling , at this point ,
that Neurology was irrelevant . "

dory

Post by dory » Tue May 19, 2015 3:19 am

I sing to my mom whenever I visit her. She has lost the ability to speak, but loves to be sung to. Unfortunatelyshe wants endless repetitions of Tea for Two. Also unfortuately it has never been one of my favorite songs. However, her face lights up with a smile and she sings "too, too."
Dory

granadina

Post by granadina » Tue May 19, 2015 4:35 am

That Music heals , seems indubitable .
And the fact that Science is yet clueless about how this happens ,
in a way lends credibility to a whole lot of other phenomena ,
that is deemed inexplicable .

Return to “The Café”