The ‘ Little Miss Mozart ’

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
granadina

The ‘ Little Miss Mozart ’

Post by granadina » Wed May 20, 2015 3:29 am

" The assumption that children are by definition not emotionally mature enough to grasp the complexities of great classical works,
let alone create them, underestimates the human propensity for music which we have from birth, or even earlier. "

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201505 ... iss-mozart

Nick Clow

Re: The ‘ Little Miss Mozart ’

Post by Nick Clow » Wed May 20, 2015 3:55 am

Most interesting, thanks for posting.

I am a great believer in the notion of pieces of art arriving unbidden and it is interesting to see that this occurs with this girl. The composer (or artist or novelist for that matter) is more like a witness or a medium in the creative process than an active conscious creator. I always believe that work arriving like that is much more powerful than something consciously-derived i.e. someone setting out to write something.

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Wed May 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Granadina, we spoke of something similar recently, from the article:
"In his 1973 Norton Lectures at Harvard University, Leonard Bernstein described musical tonality as ‘that universal earth’ from which everything springs; and he echoed Noam Chomsky's theory of a ‘universal grammar’ to build a case for tonal music as an inherently natural language in which melody functions as a noun, harmony as adjective, and musical metre as verb.

Nick, good thought, maybe its initially unbidden but then driven and shaped by consciousness?

granadina

Post by granadina » Wed May 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Nick Clow wrote: I am a great believer in the notion of pieces of art arriving unbidden ..
I always believe that work arriving like that is much more powerful than something consciously-derived
i.e. someone setting out to write something.
Carl Jung had something to say in this regard -
" The unconscious is not just evil by nature, it is also the source of the highest good. "

granadina

Post by granadina » Wed May 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Anthony Campanella wrote: Leonard Bernstein described musical tonality as ‘that universal earth’ from which everything springs .
So far .. peace .
..tonal music as an inherently natural language in which melody functions as a noun, harmony as adjective,
and musical metre as verb.
A bit of redundancy .. ?
AC , language is more of an intrusion , when it comes to describing Music .
The best response .. is silence .

Thoughts ?

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Wed May 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Yes, could be some verbosity there. :D
Still, you can't separate music (art) from sound (science), anymore than you can separate painting (art) from color (science)
Therefore? discussion of any art references (at a minimum) science

It's wonderful and I'm curious as to why and how such children exist.

granadina

Post by granadina » Wed May 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Anthony Campanella wrote:Yes, could be some verbosity there. :D
Still, you can't separate music (art) from sound (science), anymore than you can separate painting (art) from color (science)
Therefore? discussion of any art references (at a minimum) science
What was that famous line by Wordsworth ?

" We murder to dissect. "

( Our meddling intellect : The necessary evil )

Anthony Campanella

Post by Anthony Campanella » Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Yeah that, or simple observation

dory

Post by dory » Wed May 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Google Joey Alexander the 11 year old jazz prodigy for another example. Some people are born with something mysterious the rest of us have to struggle for.
Dory

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed May 20, 2015 11:09 pm

dory wrote:.... Some people are born with something mysterious the rest of us have to struggle for.
+1 though much work and a real love for your subject is needed too.

My contact with prodigious talent is more within sport than music and in sport tremendous caution is needed as only a very small percentage of "prospective world beaters" go on to significant sporting success as adults. For some who don't there can be quite a bit of stress and heartache caused by the unfulfilled expectations of themselves and their mentors.

This article in the Independent sounds a similar caution within music.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 69711.html

Undoubtedly some musical prodigies will succeed as adults (the annals have many examples) but perhaps we should take care not to overdo the expectation and applause lest we build the pedestal too high.

Return to “The Café”