Apache--Jorgan Ingmann

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Wesjr1

Apache--Jorgan Ingmann

Post by Wesjr1 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Does anyone remember this recording by Jorgan Ingmann (from the early 1960's)? I was looking through my boxes of old LPs and found this album, which I had purchased sometime in the early '60s. I don't think this cover would fly in today's world (not very politically or culturally correct these days, you think?). For those who may not know of "Apache", Ingmann's recording was hugely popular (at least, here in the U.S.) in the early 60's. I think The Shadows had recorded it prior to Ingmann, but I'm not sure. Several bands made recordings of it after Ingmann (including The Ventures). Mr. Ingmann passed away in March, 2015, at age 89.Image
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

Bernhard Heimann

Re: Apache--Jorgan Ingmann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sun May 24, 2015 7:23 am

Hi Wesjr1,

thanks for reminding my of my boyhood days, when I was fascinated by this piece.
I know the recordings of the Shadows and Ventures,too, but I've always liked Ingman's best.
And a feeling of nostalgia came up when I listened to it this Sunday morning...

Bernhard

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun May 24, 2015 8:18 am

If I remember correctly The Shadows' version was a no. 1 hit here in the UK - as were several more of their instrumentals.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Sun May 24, 2015 9:49 am

I still have a 7" EP from the 60s with his multi-tracked versions of things like Muskrat Ramble, Royal Garden Blues etc. A very good guitarist.

Wesjr1

Post by Wesjr1 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:20 am

pogmoor wrote:If I remember correctly The Shadows' version was a no. 1 hit here in the UK - as were several more of their instrumentals.
In the early '60s my family was living in Malta (my dad was in the US Air Force and was stationed there). I became a huge fan of The Shadows while there. I still have several of their .45 rpm records from that time. I don't think they were ever as well known or popular in the US (although I have often heard some their records on the radio here). Before they broke away and went out on their own, they were Cliff Richard's backup band ("Cliff Richard And The Shadows").
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Thu May 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Hank Marvin, lead guitarist of the Shadow's, was very popular with electric players world wide as well as being a great advertisement for the Fender stratocaster guitar. Way back then I played in instrumental only bands that attempted to replicate the Shadow's sound - minus Cliff of course! A Fender amp with good reverb plus a whammy bar and you were on your way!!

Return to “The Café”