A piano with more tone colour

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
lucy

A piano with more tone colour

Post by lucy » Tue May 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Daniel Barenboim has designed a new piano.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32885683

Perhaps, he has taken a leaf out guitarists' book? I, for one, have always loved the different colours that guitar strings can make and have often thought of the piano as comparatively bland.

I'd love to hear this new instrument!
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Lovemyguitar

Re: A piano with more tone colour

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue May 26, 2015 9:22 pm

lucy wrote:...I'd love to hear this new instrument!
Me, too! I also love the fact that Barenboim looked back to the instruments of the past in order to create a sound that is closer to what it once was, and that may better reflect what many of the great composers heard when they wrote their music, rather than what we hear with the modern piano.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Tue May 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Yes but is it cedar or spruce?
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed May 27, 2015 1:05 pm

I just read this article. Fascinating! I do know that fortepianists tend to be very passionate about their instruments. I do like the sound of the older pianos as well. I am just wondering how this newfound clarity, or separation would serve certain types of music--impressionistic music, for example, in which you want a little aural fog. I guess we would have to hear it for ourselves and see.

It is somewhat instructive, perhaps, to guitarists as well what with our progressive stances vis-a-vis lattice braced, double top instruments and all the rest. Here, a major pianist is hearkening back to the Torres of his day, if you like. :D

Thanks for posting this, Lucy.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Wed May 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Some were thrilled by the difference. Others furrowed their brows at the similarity. What no one could disagree on was the maestro’s passion for his new instrument.
Well, frankly, judging by the associated sound clips there really does not appear to be a huge difference between these pianos. Of course, this might be misleading. But, if he were to play an Érard followed by either the Steinway or the new Barenboim one would immediately hear a huge difference in timbre and resonance. Hmmm . . . perhaps there is less to this whole thing than meets the eye?

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed May 27, 2015 2:55 pm

I am in the process of developing a new guitar where the bass strings cross over the treble strings.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars for sale

mc1

Post by mc1 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:I am in the process of developing a new guitar where the bass strings cross over the treble strings.

Ramon
well, there is pat metheny's pikasso guitar, built by linda manzer:

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed May 27, 2015 3:29 pm

"how much one will cost remains to be seen but you would not bet against it costing twice or three times the 150,000 euros it costs to buy a Steinway D"
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Mayes

Post by Mayes » Wed May 27, 2015 3:32 pm

The music does not come from the instrument - it comes through the instrument. It takes quite an artist to get anything resembling music through all of the machinery of a modern piano. Maybe this one makes it easier.

manythumbed

Post by manythumbed » Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 pm

He is planning to play it all over the world! That makes travelling with a guitar appear to be a minor problem.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 pm

mc1 wrote:
Ramon Amira wrote:I am in the process of developing a new guitar where the bass strings cross over the treble strings.

Ramon
well, there is pat metheny's pikasso guitar, built by linda manzer:

Yes, and I know all four guys who play it at the same time.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars for sale

Return to “The Café”