Possibly lost in translation

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Pat Dodson

Possibly lost in translation

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri May 29, 2015 12:16 am

I came across this translated guitar review. The macabre opening grabs the attention and I have selected some other interesting elements.

"This is a guitar made from a German violin family.

I took it in hand, I started playing, and I realized that my game was more comfortable than any other classical guitar played before!

The guitar comes (at least for me), well regulated as in movement and intonation.

The handle, polished like the rest of the guitar, fits easily in hand

The ebony fingerboard also makes the game of course, by its hardness. 

The sound was the first revelation, of course, already heard on various recordings on the right and left on the internet.

I intend to try also Savarez strings while "Heavy" (AJ 500) to see if it brings something standpoint sounds, or if it is less convincing for ease of play a little less ... 

What I like most is its sound and its playability But frankly, its looks wax is a "massacre" too! I sometimes go out of its holster just to hold it in hand! 

I love ... "

Me too. :)

Lovemyguitar

Re: Possibly lost in translation

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri May 29, 2015 12:30 am

"Massacre" is a good word for that translation. Are you going to tell us which guitar had the reviewer so atwitter?

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 am

Lovemyguitar wrote:"Massacre" is a good word for that translation. Are you going to tell us which guitar had the reviewer so atwitter?
It's a Hanika 58pf nat but the review is not by Hanika.
Last edited by Pat Dodson on Fri May 29, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

bear

Post by bear » Fri May 29, 2015 12:55 am

This isn't bad for a non English speaker. I think we understand the gist of it. Much better than any attempt be me to translate into French.
2019 Gretsch G9126 432mm
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 am

Dieter Hopf - just a guess...

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Fri May 29, 2015 2:12 am

Looks like what Google's translation tool often does to text. :-)
English is a strange and difficult language for non-native speakers. The translation's choice of words may be amusing, but the purpose of language is communication and if the idea has been communicated by the text, it has succeeded.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri May 29, 2015 8:28 am

lagartija wrote:Looks like what Google's translation tool often does to text. :-)
I too suspect that's what's happened and I agree we can get the gist. I am not meaning to sneer, just passing on something that I smiled at. Probably a caution too about the possible outcomes of using programmes like Google Translate which does a darned good job but with minor errors that cause a smile.
Last edited by Pat Dodson on Fri May 29, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Fri May 29, 2015 11:06 am

Ha ha ha! :lol: Excellent. I especially like the "left and right" of the Internet. I usually just stick to the north-north-west. I'll have to check out these other coordinates.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri May 29, 2015 11:12 am

Apologies to @bergman. Earlier I was coy about the guitar being reviewed but later edited to say what it is. Meanwhile @bergman made a good, though incorrect, guess.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 29, 2015 11:40 am

I would guess that the original massacre reference was the equivalent of "it has a killer wax finish look" (in the sense of "awesome", as here), a sentence which in English would probably look just as strange to a non-native reader, when you think about it. Agreed, though, automatic translation can come up with some real gems sometimes!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

mc1

Post by mc1 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:52 am

i can't believe how cold and callous everyone is. i feel really bad for the german violin family.

anyway, to help make it more readable, i translated it back into german, then back into english. viola!

"This is a guitar made from a German violin.

I took it in hand, I began, and I realized that my game was more convenient than any other classical guitar played!

The guitar comes (at least for me), well controlled such as movement and intonation.

The handle, like the rest of the guitar, polished fits comfortably in the hand

The Ebony fingerboard also makes the game of course its hardness.

The sound was the first revelation which is of course already different shots right and left on the Internet.

I will also try to see Savarez strings in the "Heavy" (AJ 500) if it sounds some perspective brings or it is less convincing for the ease of the game a little less...

What I most like is the sound and playability, but honestly, his eyes wax is a "massacre". I go sometimes out of his Holster, to hold it in your hand!

I love..."

dory

Post by dory » Fri May 29, 2015 5:34 pm

As someone who has done (human) translations, I have a certain "attitude" towards computer-generated translations. I also have known some people in AI who have bern working on language generation, who point out how difficult it is to come up with authentic-looking human language. It worries me when people are too trusting of software like google translate, but I do love funny examples of mess ups. Thank you for a nice laugh!
Dory

Den
Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Post by Den » Fri May 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Computer-generated translations often do not take into consideration the context, which is an essential component of translation. For instance, I suspect that the word "game" actually means "play" or "playing".

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:I came across this translated guitar review. The macabre opening grabs the attention and I have selected some other interesting elements.

"This is a guitar made from a German violin family.
You can't beat a genuine bone nut.
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Sat May 30, 2015 6:51 am

Pat, if you want to post the link to the original article I'd be happy to have a go at 'human' translation :wink:

Return to “The Café”