Should I worry about laptop radiation, etc?

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
robin loops

Re: Should I worry about laptop radiation, etc?

Post by robin loops » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:37 pm

They are currently working on technology to charge batteries using wifi radio waves, something you'd never be able to do with the excess radiation off a computer. While a computer might put off a bit of radiation it is nothing compared to what you encounter in the air already. And even if you took precautions to limit your wifi, you neighbors' wifi is all over the place. Just search for other networks and you'll see how much wifi is flotaing around your living room. Add to that radio waves from all types of communication devices and even everyone else's mobile phones, bluetooth etc. When taken into context your laptop is the least of your worries. That being said, radio waves and radiation are not anything new, and overall we probably won't see much change in cancer rates related to them. In contrast, we no longer use CRT monitors (and tv's) so that eliminates some of the radiation from the mix and newer technologies tend to use better isolation than older ones. Even the electric towers that are all around us emit radiation. So much so that one time hiking in the fog we could feel the power coming off the towers so much that it hurt in our joints and had to hightail it down the hill.

If you're really worried about excess radation from your laptop you can use a lead pad (like they use for when you get xrays but small) to put under it. However, with so much radiation (theoretically at safe levels) all around us, one could drive themselves crazy worrying about it and end up being the guy that runs around in a lead lined hazmat suit.

It's probably more important to worry about what goes into our body through what we consume than our laptops. Granted we're talking different type of cancer when it comes to food/smoking, etc. but many of the things we put in our body have a much higher risk of causing cancer than airwaves (especialy if you smoke or have other cancer causing vices). If you want to really reduce the risk of cancer (overall) you can accomplish a lot more by changes in your diet and making other healthy choices.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

RoryJohn

Post by RoryJohn » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:26 pm

A tinfoil skullcap will provide your brain with adequate protection. A tinfoil codpiece will prevent your seed from swimming widdershins.
A tinfoil undershirt will protect your vital organs and also help you sweat out all those nasty toxins.

Worth staying inside during thunderstorms though...Probably best just to stay inside all the time anyway...
The horse, he kept running; the rider was bread.

Andrew Legg

Post by Andrew Legg » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Andrew: oh, I couldn't agree more about being skeptical towards info on the internet. And there is a lot of nonsense about the potential health risks of things that are totally benign.

A few days ago I was reading a thread on a backpacking site about free soloing: rock climbing on grade five and above pitches with extreme exposure without ropes and a belay. One of the the advocates resorted to "hey, we're all going to die sometime, so go for it" line of reasoning. And in response to a free climber's falling to his death--there have been quite a few--it was claimed that "he died doing what he loved". Personally, I thought that he would have taken a mulligan if he had the chance. Anyway, this is what got me going in response to your post; sorry if I overreacted. Of course, if my sofa kills me, you can say "at least he died doing what he loved"!
Fair point Jeffrey. I suspect we sit on the same side of the fence. No point topping yourself unnecessarily. I guess part of the appeal of free climbing would be exactly the danger it presents and the feelings of exhilaration that stem from working through that. Staring death in the face and beating it. I guess we don't have the same approach to an afternoon nap on the couch or a good night's rest. Ha ha. "Hey honey, just going to watch Dallas. Fingers crossed that I make it off the couch alive!" Most of us will take a mulligan if offered, but sometimes unfortunately it's not there to take. I guess that's the reality of extreme sports, but rightly should not be the reality of a good night's rest!

No offence taken! :-)

Andrew

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote: And in response to a free climber's falling to his death--there have been quite a few--it was claimed that "he died doing what he loved".
People always say that kind of thing but it is silly reasoning and probably usually not correct. For example: In this case the guy loved 'climbing' but he fell while falling (well after impact). Now if he were a skydiver maybe, but my guess is most climbers absolutely do not love falling (or impacting the earth for that matter). So he died right after doing something he loved would be more accurate but doesn't have the same ring to it. :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Here below is a short little poem by Walt Kelly. Dunno why it comes floating up in my consciousness just now, maybe a random occurrence...?

"Mistress Flurry likes to worry,
Rises early, feeling surly.
There's no cure, for she is sure
That life will be the death of she.
Best to worry, Mistress Flurry."

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:08 am

Wow, radiation is very misunderstood. If you have granite counter tops, or go to the beach, or take an airplane ride, etc., you get radiation dosage. You cannot avoid it. There is radiation from the ground in all parts of earth, there are cosmic rays from space, you probably eat bananas... if so, all give you radiation dosage. Without radiation, you would not have a major cellular repair mechanism for your DNA. Without radiation and oxidation you likely would not be here. In today's modern world it is amazing that the LNT theory still is believed even though many believe quite strongly that the data behind the cumulative dose LNT theory (with all radiation bad for you) is inaccurate.

As I understand it, France has already amended their radiation tables, and Japan has done so as well. Your body is a source of radiation dosage... you emit radiation and absorb it from yourself and others -- and you need those isotopes. Before worrying about your laptop, quit going to the beach if you fear low level radiation. There is a great deal of data showing some radiation exposure appears to reduce cancer rates, and that is pretty shocking in itself. It is called the radiation hormesis effect. the US NRC just this past week received a proposal to change the LNT model which holds that any radiation is bad for you.

Most people do not realize the benefits earth gets from radioactive decay. Uranium, and mort importantly thorium, in the core of earth keeps the core molten so the rotating planet produces a magnetic field that shields earth from a far stronger and deadly bombardment of solar and cosmic radiation that would likely strip the planet of life. You are quite well adapted to low level radiation.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:20 pm

charlesivey wrote:Wow, radiation is very misunderstood. If you have granite counter tops, or go to the beach, or take an airplane ride, etc., you get radiation dosage. You cannot avoid it. There is radiation from the ground in all parts of earth, there are cosmic rays from space, you probably eat bananas... if so, all give you radiation dosage.
My father was a nuclear scientist and worked at a research establishment known as UKAEA Harwell where they had nuclear fission reactors for research purposes. While he was working there a coal fired power station was built four or five miles away at Didcot. He always used to joke that he got more radiation exposure from driving home past the power station coal stack than from working full time in the atomic research establishment :shock:
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:11 am

I agree with your dad, that is pretty well understood. Coal plants typically emit more sources of radiation than nuclear plants. But the important thing is the increasing knowledge that radiation, like many things, is possibly beneficial in low dosage and harmful at higher levels of exposure. There is a lot of data to support that assumption.

The sad part of renewable energy is places that implement a lot of it require backup power plants and this leads (in general) to a greatly expanded number of coal plants, and a lot them are lignite coal. The net result is increased radiation exposure and typically little to no reduction in CO2 -- maybe even an increase as population grows. Of course it is the particulates that are a greater health hazard when burning coal in excess. Add to that the instability of the gird for renewables and the cost to society is far too great.

I think generation four nuclear is a much more environmentally sound policy, especially molten salt reactors because of their much greater efficiency, safer operation, and far less long lived waste (in a short time their waste is about one thousandth the long lived waste compared to a light water reactor -- which is what most reactors are.) Oak Ridge built a molten salt reactor in the late sixties and it was so safe they would turn it off on the weekends and go home -- no one even watched over it. We could even build digesters that reduced stockpiled spent nuclear fuel, but in general people have a complete misunderstanding of the nuclear risk equation. That is just my opinion and others think differently -- I am very comfortable with my knowledge of nuclear physics.
Last edited by charlesivey on Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:57 am

glassynails wrote:I don't use it on my lap as that seems to be a "bad" thing with regard to radiation from what I've recently read.
The reason for not using your laptop on your lap is not radiation, it's heat. You don't want your "boys" to get all hot and bothered unnecessarily.

Physiology 101: Testicles are located outside of the body because they need to be kept at a lower temperature than standard body heat (98.6) in order to function optimally. Heat can contribute to a lower sperm count. In fact, for couples having difficulty conceiving, one of the first recommendations is for the man to stop wearing what are commonly called "tighty whiteys" (briefs) and tight pants that squish the boys against the body (causing them to become hotter), and to wear boxers and looser pants instead so they can hang free and chill.

The more you know...

Return to “The Café”