Delicious summer recipes

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
zupfgeiger

Re: Delicious summer recipes

Post by zupfgeiger » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:55 pm
All of my relatives in the Midwest are hog ranchers and the children of German immigrants. Who would have thunk it? :D
Not surprising at all. :D
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I've never been a fan of summer pudding. In fact this photo makes it look good by omitting most of the bread. I ate it once in a good restaurant, and I didn't like it.

What I do like is lean rice pudding - milk, sugar, rice, with a nutmeg crust. To hell with rice pudding that is full of butter and cream and fruit and more butter.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:55 pm

dory wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 am
I bet the goat cheese recipe would be good with one of those semi-soft, salty Mexican cheeses too. (I am not really up on my names of Mexican cheese. Cotija maybe?)
Or Schloss, a salty soft ripening cheese - I think it's base is the same as brie. It goes really well straight on crackers/baguette with a good beer. As a goat cheese substitute, I think it would do very well too! And of course, this means a romantic trip to the Marin French Cheese (formerly Rouge et Noir) factory in Marin County.

In terms of "summer recipes", this is a good outing. They have a picnic table near a lake with ducks wandering around begging for tidbits. I think I'll make up some of the recipes listed in this thread, head to the cheese factory, get some schloss and a baguette, and have a pleasant outdoor lunch with my sweetie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

doug

Post by doug » Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:58 am
OldC1guy wrote:I've never tried coriander pesto. Over here it's called cilantro. The one ingredient that is missing is nuts. In basil pesto it's pine nuts (pignoli). In cilantro pesto I'd use almonds (plain roasted). Buon appetito...
I can see you like food to. I will try the almonds. Food is a good thing, one does not have to ask what it is good for, it is recycled in glance and there are always potential clients around for it.

You may want to try out this summer starter: 4-5 persons

8 ripe figs, I like the dark ones, but the green works fine
200 gr. of white cured goat cheese ( just take what you can buy in your place, the rather salty cured stuff -not hard cheese- works best)
Pumpkin jam
4 walnuts

Cut the goat cheese in appropriate pieces of about 1 ½ square inches, and place half a fig on top of it. You can peal the figs if you want, but this is not necessary. Put a spoon full of pumpkin jam on top of the fig and place a quarter of a walnut on top of it. Then place about 3 pieces per person on a plate and serve as a starter. You can use them also on a buffet of course..

IMG_9006.JPG
Thank you again for this delicious recipe! I fixed a variation of it last night for a party....didn't have figs, so I substituted "Nut Thins" crackers, goat cheese, walnuts, fig preserves and peach & apricot jam. It was very good, and I received a lot of compliments
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

Fretnot

Post by Fretnot » Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 am

Lovely thread! A good friend taught me this simple salad - avocado, diced cucumber, some finely chopped red onion, and diced tomato (make sure they have good flavour). Sprinkle some dried oregano, dress with olive oil and red wine or balsamic vinegar. Nice contrast of textures and flavours; the red onion/tomato and avocado/vinegar with cool cucumber.

I guess I need breakfast 😀

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Hugh F-W's Three Good Things has a recipe for a salad of cucumber, orange and strawberrries. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very tempted.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat May 19, 2018 10:32 pm

doug wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 am

Thank you again for this delicious recipe! I fixed a variation of it last night for a party....didn't have figs, so I substituted "Nut Thins" crackers, goat cheese, walnuts, fig preserves and peach & apricot jam. It was very good, and I received a lot of compliments
Hi, I am glad you like it. I had it also from a friend in the Algarve who used to make these as a starter. You can make a lot of variations of it and I am sure yours worked fine!
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 pm
Hugh F-W's Three Good Things has a recipe for a salad of cucumber, orange and strawberrries. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very tempted.
Must work fine. I used to go to a place where they make a fennel/apple/orange salad with raisins and I love it
Fretnot wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 am
Lovely thread! A good friend taught me this simple salad - avocado, diced cucumber, some finely chopped red onion, and diced tomato (make sure they have good flavour). Sprinkle some dried oregano, dress with olive oil and red wine or balsamic vinegar. Nice contrast of textures and flavours; the red onion/tomato and avocado/vinegar with cool cucumber.

I guess I need breakfast 😀
Kitchen is an unlimited creativity space and I absolutly love advocado dishes. I use to make a kind of guacamole but I mix the advocado with youghurt or white cheese and olive oil and spices and salt and put it into the mixer. Ideal to eat with cooked potatoes. Some make sweet advocado mousse which I don't like at all. The good thing with food is that it is recycled pretty imediately, you don't need to ask what it is good for, and there are always new possible "clients" around who don't complain either

edcat7

Post by edcat7 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Due to the fine weather we've been having in London lately (and to celebrate the Royal Wedding) my wife decided to have a barbecue. Seabass brushed in butter, burgers and salad. Delicious.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 pm

So here we go:

This is a simple but delicious recipe for a fast dessert. Even better, it is gluten-free :lol:

It is called "indecent proposal"

You need: a big tin of mango puree (850gr)and mix it with 1 kg of Greek yogurt and add a tin of condensed milk 450 gr. and a bit of cardamom in powder and a bit of curcuma (turmeric) in powder, and a bit of ginger in powder if you want. Mix all well and add in the end 200 gr of whipped cream and cool it in the fridge. This will serve about 12-15 person

Interesting taste with the mango and the spices but not low in calories. You can make low calorie versions of it using soft white cheese, and other ingredients for sweetening and lubrification as you prefere

vesa

Post by vesa » Mon May 21, 2018 6:03 am

Easy barbeque marinade:

1/2 kg chicken filees
olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon
salt
thyme (if you want to marinade turkey use sage)

marinade about 1/2 hour
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2019

doug

Post by doug » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:45 pm

I know it's not summer anymore, but I thought of this thread when I was fixing this last night, to take to a party.
About 20- 30 ginger snaps
A package of lemon jello. (gelatin....not pudding)
Whipped cream cheese
Frozen dairy topping (Cool Whip)
Mandarin orange slices
Double ended toothpicks

Fix the Jello, and before it sets up, whip in about equal quantities of cream cheese and Cool whip.
Line a large flat pan (cookie sheet) with plastic wrap and pour mixture onto it.....about 1/4" thick.
Chill until the mixture stiffens.
When you're ready to assemble, place ginger snaps on a serving tray.
Drain the juice from the Mandarin orange slices.
Flip the pan with the jello & cream cheese over onto a sheet of wax paper and lift the pan off....peel off the plastic wrap.
Place "slices" of the mix onto each ginger snap, and top with a slice of Mandarin orange, and stick a toothpick thru the slice of orange and into the jello mixture, to keep the slice of orange from sliding off.

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Best bloody mary recipe ever!

Ingredients:

3 cups tomato juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
3⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
3⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1⁄3 cup pickle juice
Blend thoroughly, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Add an ounce of vodka per glass.

Stolen from here.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

doug

Post by doug » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:40 am

Hor d'oeuvres: BLT bites

Fry about 6 strips of bacon....let cool & crumble
Cut about two dozen pieces of romaine lettuce in approx. 1" X 2" rectangles
Carefully.....with a sharp paring knife....core two dozen cherry tomatoes (this is a little tedious)
Shape the pieces of lettuce into small cylinders and insert into hole in tomato
stuff with crumbled bacon and top with mayonaise

marvluse

Post by marvluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Pour about 3 fingers of a single malt scotch into a whiskey glass.
No ice, no soda, no nothin'. Neat.
Enjoy.
:)

Return to “The Café”