Martin M165 Magnifico polygut strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Martin M165 Magnifico polygut strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:10 pm

I just received a sample of Martin’s M165 Magnifico hard tension classical strings from my local Martin dealer. They are developed in partnership with Aquila. The bass strings are silver plated copper wound and the trebles are dark grey, called “polygut”. They appear to be a dark grey version of nylgut, but seem stiffer, less pliable than the nylgut. The dealer had tension information for this set and says that, based on a 650mm scale, come in at around 104 lbs of tension for the set.

These strings sound rather subdued compared to standard nylgut, which I find much brighter.
These strings are tie-end, and I’m going to try the ball end set on my daughters Ramirez. That set comes in at about 94 lbs.

So far these strings seem to settle fairly quickly, seems like faster than the standard nylgut. They are warm sounding, but the basses seem to be a little bit more powerful than the trebles. Now I’ve put these tie end strings on my wife’s 3/4 Yamaha as it can use all the tension it can get. They feel nice, the trebles having a kind of grippy feel for the right hand fingers, and so far are the strongest sounding set I’ve used on it to date. I will report evaluate the tone once the set has been on for a few more days. So far they are nice strings, and I’m impressed that the strings feel firm, unlike lower tension sets I’ve tried on this guitar.

These are a brand new offering from Martin. Of note, the strong envelopes have a warning to hold the guitar away from your face when tuning them up “to avoid serious injury, especially to your eyes” if the string breaks. In other words, Ralphie, you’ll poke your eye out kid.
D2B58B90-F647-4B67-B318-E1C6A3F7723C.jpeg
I took a photo to try and show the dark gray color.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ameriken

Re: Martin M165 Magnifico polygut strings

Post by ameriken » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 pm

A repackaged variation of one of the Aquila sets?
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 pm

ameriken wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 pm
A repackaged variation of one of the Aquila sets?
They warn you about the possibility of breakages on each individual string envelope. They have Aquila”s logo on the package. They are made in Mexico, like the other Martin strings. I am hoping that the trebles will come to life and get a little better after they have been on a few more days.

I also got a set of the M160 ball end classical strings which should be nylon trebles. The info that the dealer has says they are about 94 lbs of tension. I’m going to try them on my daughter’s Ramirez. I also got a set of M625 Ukelele strings which I will try as I haven’t changed the Aquila nylgut strings that came on my concert Uke a year ago. However, the uke still sounds good.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 pm

The bigger question seems to be: Why do we need such a string set with a warning like that? I wouldn't get near them.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Good point, I wonder if that is that a warning for this specific set, or perhaps a more generic legal warning we may start seeing on all sets in the future. You know, kinda like the 'may cause drowsiness' warnings on sleep aids. :)
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 pm

ameriken wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:47 pm
Good point, I wonder if that is that a warning for this specific set, or perhaps a more generic legal warning we may start seeing on all sets in the future. You know, kinda like the 'may cause drowsiness' warnings on sleep aids. :)
Or these are the Red Rider B.B. gun of strings...they probably already had it happen. There is probably some guy out there that lost an eye to a Rubinho and sued.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 pm
ameriken wrote:
Or these are the Red Roder B.B. gun of strings...they probably already had it happen. There is probably some guy out there that lost an eye to a Rubinho and sued.
Even those Rubinos didn't come with that warning!
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm

B38E6675-7998-4738-A10F-5D2951111A17.jpeg
Here is a photo of the warning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm

I wonder if Martin or someone else got sued over a breakage.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 am

ameriken wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm
I wonder if Martin or someone else got sued over a breakage.
That’s probably it because you usually don’t see such warnings unless there has already been a problem. It’s all cover your butt type legalize I am sure.

They photo of the package says “made in Italy, packaged in Mexico”, which begs the question....why not just buy Aquila? I am going to try some Aquila for my wife’s 3/4 Yamaha after the “Martin” strings are ready to be replaced.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:46 am

Wonder how they sound on a martin nylon string guitar?

Anyone

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:50 am

Well, they’ve been on for 10 days now, and the trebles have brightened up. Still warm sounding, but not muddy and subdued as when they were first put on. The basses are lush. Overall a nice set for a short scale instrument.

Mimmo says they are very “similar” to the Rubino strings. So when it is time to replace them, I will put on a set of Rubino. The dark gray color is kind of ugly, but the strings do sound really nice. We shall see if there are breakage issues with the Martin branded Aquila’s. I like these strings enough to actually buy a set, but would prefer red to gray. I can’t believe that Martin accepted such an ugly color. I guess they must have wanted a color that nobody else has. Purple would have been better.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 am

Well guys here are a few useful explanations:
1) it is more generic legal warning; at present not any lost an eye. In USA it is very common that factory add a lot of warnings on their products
2) grey colour: this was a decison of Martin. Despite that some do not like this colour (me too, in the very begginning) I think that it will be a success. At the end of the day do you think that the brown colour of coke was well acepted in the very begginning? Same hapened with our ukulele nylgut strings: white instead the traditional black. Yes; I received a lot of complaints and a few of insults. Now almost 90% of ukuleles employ white strings and they are millions. So give time to the Martin's myth to grows up.
3) the sound improve a lot time after time so do not try conslusion just after 15 minutes after the setup. Waii the next day.
4) We produce these strings here in Italy for Martin, so it is a real Martin product (made by us, of course). Generally speaking, many famous brands want their own brand strings (made form producer like us that manage their own extruder plants like us).
5) tension: it is a stark tension in comparation with the classical gutar sets. However I remember that they have designed a dedicated guitar with X bracing so the tension is the right one. I have played it a bit during the NAMM sow and I must say that I want to buy one one day! :)
6) Rubino versus Magnifico: the formula/ingredient are similar but not the same. Same with the ukulele strings we produce for Martin
Mimmo :bye:

Ps: in the picture at the NAMM show, Los Angeles at the launch of the strings and the guitar I have mentioned. ah, the guy in red is the designer of the guitar

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 am

ameriken wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 pm
ameriken wrote:
Or these are the Red Roder B.B. gun of strings...they probably already had it happen. There is probably some guy out there that lost an eye to a Rubinho and sued.
Even those Rubinos didn't come with that warning!
I bought some other Martin strings, the M120 set, and they had the same warning on each individual string envelope.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:34 am

I'll bet these strings are like the others, not very hygroscopic, they take to pitch quickly.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”